• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2116 Polymer Sealant 2.0 - and planned body work?? Not body shop safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2116 Polymer Sealant 2.0 - and planned body work?? Not body shop safe?

I have a 2005 C230 K that has a few deep scratches that I plan to touch up eventually; I will likely do the work myself. I am planning to apply Meguiars21 Synthetic Sealant #2.0 today and am concerned with the statement of "not body shop safe".

By applying this product will I kill my chances for paint adhesion in the scratches? Are there cleaners out there that will strip the silicone and other surface treatments and allow good surface prep but at the same time not damage the surrounding paint and clear coat?

Thanks for the help!

Re: M2116 Polymer Sealant 2.0 - and planned body work?? Not body shop safe?

Originally posted by kooshball View Post

By applying this product will I kill my chances for paint adhesion in the scratches?

Are there cleaners out there that will strip the silicone and other surface treatments and allow good surface prep but at the same time not damage the surrounding paint and clear coat?

Thanks for the help!
    Car waxes and paint sealants create a finish that's protected and tends to create a high slip surface, thus things like paint don't want to adhere to these types of coatings.

Body shops strip wax off cars all day long using wax and grease removers that are available at any PBE store.

Most people would apply the touch-up paint first and then after the touch-up paint has dried wax the car, or wax everything but where you want to apply touch-up paint and only wax around the scratches/chips.

There are plenty of cleaners that will remove any wax or paint sealant, mineral spirits will work, Isopropyl alcohol will do a pretty good job and again you can buy products just for this at any PBE store, Paint Body & Equipment store.

There's an article in the "How To Articles" forum that shows you how to find a PBE store in your home town.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just read the thread from a few months back regarding some blotching and streaking issues that others have encountered with this product. I ordered my bottle directly from Meguiars 3-weeks ago and was placed on backorder until recently. That said I know that I have fresh product that was manufactured recently. Have there been any changes to the formulation recently that would improve the quality of this product?

Thanks,

Comment

Don't know.

Meguiar's is always actively improving products when new technology is available but we don't make an announcement every time an improvement is made. I have not heard anything specific to M21, you could always call Customer Care and check with them.

1-800-347-5700

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just read the thread from a few months back regarding some blotching and streaking issues that others have encountered with this product. I ordered my bottle directly from Meguiars 3-weeks ago and was placed on backorder until recently. That said I know that I have fresh product that was manufactured recently. Have there been any changes to the formulation recently that would improve the quality of this product?

Thanks,
          The "problem" isn't really a problem, but more of a typical "forum epidemic" where one person reports something, and suddenly everyone else now experiences the same thing IMO.

I see it on ALL forums...but at any rate, to solve the "rpbolem" you just need to apply the product (and remove it) properly.

A properly cleaned and prepped surface is the start, followed by an even but THIN application of NXT 2.0 or #21 2.0.

Then (this is another part often screwed up) make sure the sealant has time to cure-a good 15 minutes or more, do a "swipe test," and if ready remove with a few microfiber towels remembering to turn the towels often.

I use #21 2.0 basically exclusively in my mobile detailing and I have yet to have a "problem" with it as long as I apply and remove it appropriately.

Comment

My wife and I spent a good part of the day prepping the surface with a Meguiar's cleaner and will apply the #21 carefully tomorrow. Will report back then.

Thanks,

DK

Comment

My wife and I spent a good part of the day prepping the surface with a Meguiar's cleaner and will apply the #21 carefully tomorrow. Will report back then.

Thanks,

DK
              Can't wait- pics are always welcome around here!

And remember...THIN THIN THIN!

Comment

The Results:

No photos as my camera was (is) missing the memory card; sorry

I put the coating on THIN and I was able to see the uneven blemishes described in previous posts but they were VERY faint and I probably only noticed b/c I was looking for them. They look like areas where the #21 bonded better than others, it was more of a variation in depth of shade than anything else. The surface felt the same to my hand no matter where I felt the car. I am not going to get too worked up over this unless it worsens over time. I will wash the car this weekend and see what she looks like.

All in all, I was not impressed with the shine of this product or the initial results due to the visual imperfections (vs. carnauba wax). It did come off easily after 15-min or so of hazing so I have no complaints there. If this product does actually last longer (and I can visually tell) than other products I may try it again, otherwise it is back to wax.

Regards,

DK

Comment

Well it might also be a good idea to try a second thin coat after 12 hours or so of curing, and see how that looks.

Also, a lot of people will first put down their carnuba for "looks" and follow that with a coat of #21 to help seal it in. Maybe give that a try?

Comment

[quote=kooshball;240745]

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

[quote=kooshball;240745]The Results:

No photos as my camera was (is) missing the memory card; sorry

I put the coating on THIN and I was able to see the uneven blemishes described in previous posts but they were VERY faint and I probably only noticed b/c I was looking for them. They look like areas where the #21 bonded better than others, it was more of a variation in depth of shade than anything else. The surface felt the same to my hand no matter where I felt the car. I am not going to get too worked up over this unless it worsens over time. I will wash the car this weekend and see what she looks like.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

All in all, I was not impressed with the shine of this product or the initial results due to the visual imperfections (vs. carnauba wax). It did come off easily after 15-min or so of hazing so I have no complaints there. If this product does actually last longer (and I can visually tell) than other products I may try it again, otherwise it is back to wax
                        3rd try... For some reason my first two replies disappeared during the posting process?

Here we go...

Meguiar's offers a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on all our products, if you're not satisfied with the performance of any of our products, simply return the unused portion of the product with your receipt to the store where you purchased the product for a full refund.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');