• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 vs 151 vs 105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 vs 151 vs 105

What I am looking for is a cleaner or reconditioner to restore paint back to where it should be. I do not want to get into scratch repair or using a rotary. 80 sounds good with the essential oils. I like the idea behind 151 but if you want to use a full polish like 7 would the wax in 151 cause a problem? 105 sounds good as one can use it by hand but would it be too aggressive?

Dr. Maurice
    Chef and Dr. of Min.

God is a good God, He loves you, and He wants to bless you.

Re: 80 vs 151 vs 105

Sounds like you want a one-step product, something that will clean, polish and leave the paint protected with a wax coating?

If so you want D151 as M80 and M105 are body shop products for paint correction and should be followed with a coat of wax.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I do in a way but I like to go through the steps after the cleaning. I want to put on a pure polish then wax. I really like the idea behind 151 but will I have to remove the wax to use #7?

Dr Maurice
      Chef and Dr. of Min.

God is a good God, He loves you, and He wants to bless you.

Comment

Meguiar's recommends applying a polish before a wax as a wax tends to seal the surface of the paint.

Maybe get a collection of products and that way you can customize how you approach each job you do depending upon your goals for the results.

Daily drivers = D151
        Higher-end work, do a multiple step and charge more

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by drculinarian View Post
          What I am looking for is a cleaner or reconditioner to restore paint back to where it should be. I do not want to get into scratch repair or using a rotary. 80 sounds good with the essential oils. I like the idea behind 151 but if you want to use a full polish like 7 would the wax in 151 cause a problem? 105 sounds good as one can use it by hand but would it be too aggressive?

Dr. Maurice
          You would have no problem applying #7 over 151 but, like Mike stated, you will need to apply a coat or two of wax on top of the #7. #7 looks great but you will need to "lock in" that great look with a sealant or wax.

Comment

Originally posted by drculinarian View Post
            but will I have to remove the wax to use #7?
            You can apply the #7 over the D151 but it won't work as well and application and wipe-off will tend to be more difficult and possibly smeary.

Always do a Test Spot first, make sure your products and process of choice will make one small section look good before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              You can apply the #7 over the D151 but it won't work as well and application and wipe-off will tend to be more difficult and possibly smeary.

Always do a Test Spot first, make sure your products and process of choice will make one small section look good before going over the entire car.

Mike, why would anyone have a possible issues applying #7 over D151? In the past, I've applies #7 over a #26 then applied another coat of #26 over the #7. The reason wasn't intentional. It was the very first timer I used #7. I skipped the #7 but decided I wanted to try it out. The application of #7 went on and came off very easily. Maybe I just lucked out.

Comment

Why not use 105 to get the stubborn swirls, follow up with 151 and finish with M21

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to use 105 myself... where does it fit in?

Comment

Your original post says that you don't want to use a rotary. That is going to limit your choices somewhat. I know 105 can be hand applied, but would take longer. And as far as 151 goes, you are out of luck if you are only doing by hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');