• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Results: 1989 Mustang Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Results: 1989 Mustang Convertible

Well, this is far from perfect but the car looks a lot better now than it did. The paint is probably a 6.5 out of 10, some dings and rock chips.... it is 19 years old.
    Here's a link to the start:

And a few pics of where it stands now:

The car still needs the proper stainless LX tailpipes installed. My local Canadian Tire store surprisingly didn't have everything in stock. I wound up using the Mothers Clay Bar I already had, Simple Green car wash, Nu Finish polish, Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and Turtle Wax F21 to dress the top and plastic in the engine bay. I used RaggTopp to clean the top, what a difference.
    Unfortunately, I didn't attempt to clean the interior til after these pics were taken and it turned out nice with the exception of the front seats. They will have to be replaced.
    I also used the Meguiars PlastX for the stock headlights, and it didn't work too well. I wound up buying a new 6 piece headlights set off Ebay.
    The engine bay turned out really nice, I cleaned it and used the F21 to shine up the rubber and plastic and some Nevr Dull to shine up the painted and bare aluminum pieces. Nevr Dull doesn't really polish the bare aluminum pieces, but gives them a nice clean sheen. It works great on chrome, not so much on polished aluminum.
    I also used the Nevr Dull on the chrome wheels. It worked really nice. The Turtle Wax F21 shined up the tires and hasn't turned brown yet.
    I was very happy with the Meguiars wax and the Nu Finish polish. They both left a noticeable difference once applied. Thanks to all those who chimed in and gave advice. I still have a lot to learn, but now that I'm out of apartment living and have a garage to myself again I will be stocking up on the needed supplies in bulk as well as the hardware and learning how to use those.
    SS

Re: Detailing Results: 1989 Mustang Convertible

Looks great, what a difference! Very clean looking fox now. Good job

Comment

NICE!
      The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
      --VoicesInMyHead--
      0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Looks very good. Hard to tell it is 19 year old paint.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looks great espcially for 19 yrs old

Comment

Good save and great story about doing the best you can with what you have....

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');