• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat burn

Hi, I'm new to this forum and it looks pretty cool and hopefully will help.. I have a situation as where i was taking the emblems off of my Pickup, and I was using a heat gun(carefully i thought) the clearcoat yellowed out a little bit where the adhesive tape was, can I do anything(myself) about that ????

Re: Clear coat burn

Since this is your first post to the forum...

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

If your lucky the problem will only be topical, that is only the very outer surface of the clear coat was affected. "If" this is the case then simply abrading or cleaning the surface with a paint cleaner should remove the yellowing.

If the heat changed the clear paint to yellow "throughout" the clear layer of paint then cleaning the surface won't help because the yellowing is throughout the entire layer of paint.

Easy enough to test, simply go to any auto parts store and pick up a tube of ScratchX and apply to the affected area. Apply about a teaspoon of product to a foam or microfiber applicator pad and work over the surface, put a little passion behind the pad. You may have to do this 2, 3, 4 times to see if a difference.

If after 3-4 applications you're not seeing any difference at all then the problem is probably not topical but deeper, throughout the layer of clear.

If that ends up being the case then the only thing that will fix it will be to repaint the affected area.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

MIKE,
      Thanks alot for your help and I will try this, I do have some Scratch X, actually bought it today since I gave my sister my other tube for her new Acura TL that she rubbed against her garage......Hey is there anything else maybe alittle more abrasive ?? or is that not a good idea?? One more question where would you recommend buy the Meguiars products?? They seem to be difficult to always find here on the east coast...

Comment

I have a couple of places in North Jersey, but nothing beats ADS as far as I'm concerned.

www.autodetailingsolutions.com
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by milkman View Post
          MIKE,

Hey is there anything else maybe alittle more abrasive ?? or is that not a good idea?
          Yes.

Get yourself a bottle of M105 Ultra Cut Compound. There is one word that describes the results this product produces by hand or machine.

Amazing

It's more aggressive and faster by hand than ScratchX or any of our other hand-applied products. It is my go-to product for just about any pant correction problem by hand or machine.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');