• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to place an image in your messages

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to place an image in your messages

How to place an image in your messages

First: You need to "Host" your photos somewhere on the Internet
    In order to insert an image into your message on this forum or any forum it needs to be "hosted" somewhere on the Internet. Here on the Meguiar's Online Discussion Forum all our member receive space on our server to host their pictures. As a member you get your own "Photo Gallery" in which you can create multiple albums to organize your photos. (There will be a how-to article for how to use this feature also).

You can use other free hosting sites like PhotoBucket, Flickr, etc., but we hope you'll take advantage of your gallery here on this forum because all too often people share photos they've hosed on one of these free sites and then later delete them to make more space on their free account and then the photos they shared on our forum turn into red x's. (ruins a thread).

Second: You need to resize your photos to a viewable size.
    This means you need to resize your photo to somewhere between 500 and 800 pixels wide. Height doesn't really matter, as we all vertical scroll as we read a thread. What you don't want to do is make your reader horizontal scroll in order to see the entire picture.

And guess what? your reader has to horizontal scroll, they can never see the entire picture anyways because as they scroll to one side of the screen to see the portion of the too-wide picture that's not visible, the portion of the picture on the opposite side of the screen rolls out of view. Thus they can never see the ENTIRE photo. Kind of defeats the purpose of sharing a photo.

Does that make sense? It's generally accepted as poor netiquette. All to often people post HUGE photos in their excitement to share a picture of their car without thinking this aspect out.

This is 500 pixels wide

This is 600 pixels wide

This is 700 pixels wide

This is 800 pixels wide

Here's a thread that addresses this problem with pictures.

Good Photo Netiquette for posting photos on discussion forums

If you don't know how wide your photos are to start with, this picture will tell you how to find out that information.

If you don't know how to resize your photos without distorting them, then this how-to article will show you how.

How to resize your photos before uploading

Once you have your photos resized to a forum friendly size, now you're ready to upload them into your Photo Gallery here on Meguiar's Online.

First, make sure you're logged into the Meguiar's Online forum, you can tell if your logged in because if you are, then right below the Meguiar's Online Logo in the upper right hand corner will be a "Welcome Block" that will say,

"Welcome back Mike Phillips" or in your case it will say "Welcome back your forum nickname"

Once you've established you're logged in, then click on the word "Gallery" in the Gold Navigation Bar that's positioned across every forum page.

Next, make sure the photo gallery recognizes you, see the picture to see how to check your status. It should recognize you if your logged into the forum but this is just to make sure that you won't have any problems when you go to upload a photo. (We have had cases of people that are logged into the forum but not logged into the Photo Gallery, usually it has to do with one of a few things, ZoneAlarm, AOL accounts, Mac Computers or some other kind of Firewall or Browser/Cookie issues. So if you have a problem uploading a photo then first check to see if the Photo Gallery software recognizes you.

Once you know you're logged in, next click on the Upload Photos text button here,

Next, you need to know where your photos are on your computer that you want to upload. This may seem like a no-brainer but sometimes Newbies to computers and digital cameras know their photos are on their computer, but they don't know where.

So make sure you know the location of the folder that hold the photos you want to upload because you're going to need to tell the PhotoPost Gallery where the photos are stored by browsing to them.

When you're happy with everything, then click on the Process button on the bottom of the page and your selection of photos will be uploaded into your PhotoPost Photo Gallery here on MeguiarsOnline.com and you will be returned to your Gallery homepage with a display of your most recently uploaded photos in Thumbnail size.

Next we'll take a look at how to insert your photos into your messages...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How to place an image in your messages

Now that you have some really cool pictures uploaded into your Gallery let's take a look at how to "Insert" them into your messages.

First, locate the thumbnail of the photo you want to share in your message in your Gallery. For example, perhaps you just installed a new wing onto your car for better performance?

Then click on the Thumbnail to bring up the full size image.

If you upload an image larger than 700 pixels wide you will need to click on the image a second time to get to the larger size image. The default for the first image shown is a maximum of 700 pixels wide.

At this point you should have the URL Address waiting in memory for you to paste into a dialog box.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

To add a picture to your message, look for this little button in the Text Formatting Tools just above where you see this text. Click on it.

You'll see this,

Note that a chunk of code is already in this dialog box every time you open it. You need to either delete it or copy and paste over it while it's highlighted.

A common problem people have is they don't remove the code and after they copy and paste the URL Address they end up with two sets of http:// in their line of code and as a result, you see a Red X instead of a pictures.

This is correct

This is incorrect, note the extra http://

http://http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/881/NewWing.jpg

If you do everything right, the code should look like this,

And if you did everything right the picture will appear!

Next we'll show you a few tips for working with the code to tweak your formatting.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Can someone familiar with uploading and inserting pictures with PhotoPost read through the above and see if I have anything wrong or out of order.

*Note, this is written for an absolute Newbie that way it will help anyone that ever needs help.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Looks good! Interesting way to get the URL...

Comment

It works, long way around the block if your browser and mouse has right 'click' ability (more than one mouse button). But it works, none-the-less.

Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

If your using Firefox or Chrome, it has a button that says, "Copy Image URL" when you right click. Much faster and saves a ton of time.

Ryan
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Looks great Mike from my point, I used to use the right click, properties way until I found the way I had in my post using the links on the gallery page after clicking that one symbol.....
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                  I used to use the right click, properties way until I found the way I had in my post using the links on the gallery page after clicking that one symbol.....
                  That way works also, I tend to want to click as little as possible...

I've seen some versions of PhotoPost that provide the Image URL Address in 3 different formats with a button the right that when clicked copied the format you chose to your clipboard.

Now that was nice...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Why am I not allowed to post photos?
                    fastsleeper

Comment

One thing I have an issue with, and I'm rushing to post my problem, is losing my text in the message when I go to fish out the photo. I come back to the message box and my text is gone. No one else has mentioned that so I have to assume I'm doing something wrong.
                      Uploading the photos is very well explained and easy to follow. Job well done there.

Comment

I'm with FastSleeper, I can't post pictures to my threads. Th bulleted notes at the bottom my posts states that I cannot include attachments to my posts.
                        I have pictures in the gallery that have been correctly sized. What else is needed? I may not have yet posted an adequate number of times (I'm at at 30 post. )

Comment

Check out this thread as well.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks Guz, your link provides a great description of how to attach photos to a posting.

I've walked through these procedures and they didn't work. I discovered at the bottom of each of my posts there is a "Posting Permissions" section where it states "You may post new threads., You may post replies., You may edit your posts. You may not post attachments." It seems obvious that the reason I can't attached photos is my Posting Permissions won't allow me to.

I read somewhere that new posters need to accumulate 30 posts before they are allowed to post photos - something about spammers.

I am over thirty posts yet the permissions have not changed. I am wondering what I may need to do to get them changed.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');