• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between M95 and M105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between M95 and M105

Difference between M95 and M105

I am looking for a strong compound and have seen both the 95 and 105, and I am not sure of the differences between them. Both are able to remove 1200 grit sanding marks, and the ecommerce site does not list any differences. Also, from what I understand, both are newer products. Does anyone know the differences and/or have experience with BOTH?
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." -Vince Lombardi

Re: Difference between #95 and #105

M95 Speed Cut Compound is an excellent product.
    As the label states, it has a traditional feel (read as familiar), as it was designed to perform well, without you noticing!

I'm taking some liberty with my previous statement, but the goal was for someone that polishes paint regularly to be able to switch over to M95, and immediately feel comfortable with the characteristics and working-cycle of the product (AND an increase in performance, of course!)

One of the products most used in body shops to remove 1200-grit sanding marks is not made by Meguiar's. It's made by so3Me other company. In head-to-head blind testing, I chose M95 over the competitive brand.

M95's ability to remove defects for a longer period of time, while leaving a better finish made me a believer. While the other brand cut quickly initially, the powerful bite disappated rapidly; Extending the buffing-cycle only made matters worse, as a minimum amount of additional cutting was observed Increased scouring, hoowever, was noticable.

Of course, M95 has to perform well to justify its use over the long haul- And it certainly does everything it's supposed to. It cuts quickly, has a long working-cycle, and leaves a rather refined-finish (no deep scouring). If you work in a hot and/or dry environment, you'll want to equip yourself with this liquid.

I think M95 was lost somewhere in the shuffle, between the accolades of M86 So1o Cut & Polish Cream and M105 Ultra Cut Compound. The So1o system was heavily advertised, while M105's popularity grew legs of it's own, through write-ups and enthusiastic reviews.

Finally, consider the price- It's a real deal at $18/quart, or $50/gallon...
    That's the suggested price- You can find it online for substantially less!

So, if you are familiar with M84 Compound Power Cleaner, M85 Diamond-Cut 2.0, give M95 Speed Cut Compound a shot. DEFINITELY give an honest shot to M95 if you're using any other 'cutting-compound', available through another company... You will be glad you did.

I hope Joe chimes in on this- Although he's using M105 as much as me, we blind-tested M95 together.
    Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 21, 2008, 12:38 AM. Reason: sentence structure
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

M105 Cut & Polish Cream is an astounding product.
      There are two best-things you can do with M105... I know, bad grammar.

FIRST!- Do a search on M105.
      Check MOL first, then check via Google or some other search engine.
      You'll see several write-ups, videos, before & after shots, and general discussions about this product.

SECOND!- Buy a quart!
      If you've got any sort of defect to remove, chances are M105 will remove it quickly and impressively!

When comparing M95 to M105...
      In most cases M105 will cut quicker and leave a more-refined finish.

In my experience, the only caveat to that statement would be when you are working on:
      1. VERY fresh paint (to the point of sponginess), and/or,
      2. In a very dry and/or hot environment, and/or
      3. On very dry paint. I'm referring to paint that has severely dried (due to chronological age, harsh conditions, products applied to the surface that were detrimental to paint-life, or an improperly-formulated paint mix).

Oh- M105 is killer at removing defects from plexiglas, glass, chrome, and stainless (in my experience). Aluminum, too, but so far I have had to follow up with a metal-polish after removing defects with M105.

Can't really say that about M95.
      That's it.
      Kevin Brown
      NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Difference between #95 and #105= 10

You can't go wrong with what Kevin told ya.

M105 is quite handy for other stuff, I used it by hand to polish the metal trim on my Yukon!
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I love those interventions!!
          Thanks Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the great info Kevin!

I am running down to the autoparts store at lunch to get some #95 on order. I've been sort of on the fence about getting some but you pushed me over.
            Scott

Comment

Thank you Kevin, that was very informative and just what I was looking for!
              "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks for the info Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                  M95 Speed Cut Compound is an excellent product.
                  As the label states, it has a traditional feel (read as familiar), as it was designed to perform well, without you noticing!

I'm taking some liberty with my previous statement, but the goal was for someone that polishes paint regularly to be able to switch over to M95, and immediately feel comfortable with the characteristics and working-cycle of the product (AND an increase in performance, of course!)

One of the products most used in body shops to remove 1200-grit sanding marks is not made by Meguiar's. It's made by so3Me other company. In head-to-head blind testing, I chose M95 over the competitive brand.

M95's ability to remove defects for a longer period of time, while leaving a better finish made me a believer. While the other brand cut quickly initially, the powerful bite disappated rapidly; Extending the buffing-cycle only made matters worse, as a minimum amount of additional cutting was observed Increased scouring, hoowever, was noticable.

Of course, M95 has to perform well to justify its use over the long haul- And it certainly does everything it's supposed to. It cuts quickly, has a long working-cycle, and leaves a rather refined-finish (no deep scouring). If you work in a hot and/or dry environment, you'll want to equip yourself with this liquid.

I think M95 was lost somewhere in the shuffle, between the accolades of M86 So1o Cut & Polish Cream and M105 Ultra Cut Compound. The So1o system was heavily advertised, while M105's popularity grew legs of it's own, through write-ups and enthusiastic reviews.

Finally, consider the price- It's a real deal at $18/quart, or $50/gallon...
                  That's the suggested price- You can find it online for substantially less!

So, if you are familiar with M84 Compound Power Cleaner, M85 Diamond-Cut 2.0, give M95 Speed Cut Compound a shot. DEFINITELY give an honest shot to M95 if you're using any other 'cutting-compound', available through another company... You will be glad you did.

I hope Joe chimes in on this- Although he's using M105 as much as me, we blind-tested M95 together.
                  KEVIN

On your blind test was the 3m 6060 or new 6085 ?

Comment

Thank you sir!

I got both of the products and my personal findings is very much summed up by yours.

Testing more of them products next week in the monster garage (evil laugh)

Tim
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Kevin, absolutely awesome replies and info!

Might I bug you for a similar comparison on the M86 SO1O cream? I've been curious about that product but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Comment

#86 is an awesome body shop product, 1 product 2 easy steps.
                        after painting a panel you sand to remove dirt nibs and any excess peel than just buff solo wool & # 86 than switch pads to solo foam # 86 and send it out the door.

I also use it to follow up after compound than # 80 speed glaze for in creditable results.

Comment

Re: Difference between M95 and M105

great info many thanks to Kevin..

I still need to use wool pad for both... any heavy compound can work with foam pad ex: w7000

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');