• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing questions

I have a new 04 silver Miata. Also new to detailing. I will be doing the first wash etc. this weekend. I have Meguiar's car wash sol'n and microfibre mitt. First question- ideal water temp.? I usually use lukewarm. I have Meguiar's clay bar to use on horizontal surfaces. Then, I'm not sure which polish to use. Paint looks like it's in good shape. I have seen Mirror glaze-- says 9, then says 2.0. I have also seen the polish that's step 2 in the crystal program. I'm in Toronto, so all products may not be readily available here. Finally, I will use NXT tech wax (?2 coats). I have just ordered the PC polisher. Not sure which pads to use. Lastly, what should I use for the vinyl convertible top? Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions.
    '08 MX-5 Miata GT - Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown Ragtop and Leather Interior

Re: Detailing questions

Originally posted by DarkWolf
    I have a new 04 silver Miata. Also new to detailing. I will be doing the first wash etc. this weekend. I have Meguiar's car wash sol'n and microfibre mitt. First question- ideal water temp.? I usually use lukewarm. I have Meguiar's clay bar to use on horizontal surfaces. Then, I'm not sure which polish to use. Paint looks like it's in good shape. I have seen Mirror glaze-- says 9, then says 2.0. I have also seen the polish that's step 2 in the crystal program. I'm in Toronto, so all products may not be readily available here. Finally, I will use NXT tech wax (?2 coats). I have just ordered the PC polisher. Not sure which pads to use. Lastly, what should I use for the vinyl convertible top? Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions.
    Hi there,

1. Tap water is fine, if you prefer lukewarm, that maybe fine too.

2. Use your clay bar, then the cheapest and easiest way is to use the Meguiar 3 steps system, i.e. polish, seal and glaze, wax. After these, put 2 coats of NXT each time and allows 7 hours for the first coat to settle before apply the second coat. Use your Micro fibre to remove all the polishes and waxes.

3. You should wait your PC arrive before doing the captioned.

4. Use the W-9006 series of finishing pads for your polishing and waxing application. Different pad for different product. For you case, you need at 4 W-9006 finishing pads.

5. No clue for vinyl convertible top, sorry.

The above listed items are only my suggestions. These are what I have learnt from this forum from the beginning to present.

Comment

Re: Detailing questions

Originally posted by DarkWolf
      I have a new 04 silver Miata. Also new to detailing. I will be doing the first wash etc. this weekend. I have Meguiar's car wash sol'n and microfiber mitt. First question- ideal water temp.? I usually use lukewarm. I have Meguiar's clay bar to use on horizontal surfaces. Then, I'm not sure which polish to use. Paint looks like it's in good shape. I have seen Mirror glaze-- says 9, then says 2.0. I have also seen the polish that's step 2 in the crystal program. I'm in Toronto, so all products may not be readily available here. Finally, I will use NXT tech wax (?2 coats). I have just ordered the PC polisher. Not sure which pads to use. Lastly, what should I use for the vinyl convertible top? Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions.
      Hi DarkWolf,

C32 AMG pretty much answered all of your questions.

The Deep Crystal line is the easiest to find and use and can be applied with the PC. Make sure you use a dedicated pad for each product. Use a yellow polishing pad, (W-8006), to apply the cleaner and the polish, and then use the tan finishing pad, (W-9006), to apply the Tech Wax.

For the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, apply this product at the 4.0 to 5.0 setting. for the Deep Crystal Polish and NXT Tech Wax, use the 3.0 to the 4.0 setting. No need to use a higher speed for applying polish and wax.

Remove everything with microfiber polishing cloths, bonnets if you have them, or 100% cotton, terry cloth towels. (Soft ones).

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0 is a cleaner/polish in the Professional line. If you use this product, you can probably skip using the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and the Deep Crystal Polish. If you really want to take your finish to it's maximum potential, then go ahead and use the Deep Crystal Polish after the #9 Swirl Remover, and after removing the Polish, go to your wax application.

Remember, with the polish and wax applications, you want to apply and work in, thin coats.

For you vinyl top, since the car is brand new, I would recommend using our new NXT Tech Protectant. It is our longest lasting, best protecting vinyl conditioner and protectant.

I would recommend applying it to a foam applicator pad, (the small foam wax applicators for use by hand), and then applying this to your vinyl top. Work in one or two coatings, allow each application to penetrate for approximately 10-15 minutes and then remove any excess with a clean microfiber polishing cloth or cotton towel.

Hope this helps, and take some before and after pictures and upload them into your gallery to share with everyone else.

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery
      How to resize your photos using EasyThumbnails - Free software!
      Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO

Have fun!

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If I may I'd like to offer my .02... If going with the DC steps 1-3 you might consider going with NXT after the polishing step and either skipping step 3 or topping NXT with DC step 3. Of course it all depends on what products are available in your area.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Comment

So, let me see if I understand. Wash and dry in shade. Use clay bar with spray supplied or clean sudsy water. Use #9 swirl remover 2.0 and then 2 coats of NXT tech wax (6 to 12 hours apart). Is this what's recommended for best results? Thanks,
          '08 MX-5 Miata GT - Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown Ragtop and Leather Interior

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');