• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polish pad vs. finishing pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polish pad vs. finishing pad

when ever I use a polishing pad on my truck (black) I get the tinyest swirls from #82. It seems I aways have to use a finishing pad to get the look pretty swirl free. this happens with both pc and rotery. any one run into this or have suggestions?
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Re: polish pad vs. finishing pad

Originally posted by 2000
    when ever I use a polishing pad on my truck (black) I get the tinyest swirls from #82. It seems I aways have to use a finishing pad to get the look pretty swirl free. this happens with both pc and rotery. any one run into this or have suggestions?
    Welcome to Meguiar's Online 2000,

As Tim said, it could be your paint type, or another factor, such as pad speed, pressure, technique, etc.

What do you use as a finish wax after the #82?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I use a speed of 1500 on a black and decker as that is as low as it goes....just got a dewalt to help slow down more but haven't the chance to use it. but again I get same results with a pc too. these are the kind of "swirls " only us knit pickers would see. I've tryed different presures with little or no change. I've used #26 and nxt to end but I'm curious to the reson why with the swirls before that step....I want to break any bad habits I have. If this could be related I've had a swirls free finish only to go over with machine glaze and had micro swirls reappear( finishing pad on machine glaze to.) I can get results I'm happy with, it just seems my method is compltly out of wack from everything I read on these forms and I do want to learn the "correct" why.....I would hate to ever be called a buffer jockey! thanks for all the help! these fourms are get tools!!!
      2019 GMC Sierra
      1500 AT4

Comment

I am thinking the problem could be that you are either 1) using a contaminated pad, or 2) picking up contamination from somewhere (like excess dust from a previous step, or even airborne dust). The reason I think this is that you said #3 with a finishing pad caused micro-marring. I use #3, and honestly I think the odds of it causing marring are about the same as if you used baby oil (maybe an exaggeration, but probably not by much).
        Here in Louisiana, I have a constant battle with airborne contaminants. Some I can see easily when it falls on my paint, but some I must look for it. What I do is when I bring my specific supplies for that session outside, I place what I am not using at that particular instant on my front seats. This keeps them out of the outside environment to prevent something landing on them. I also QD each panel as I work whatever process on it. This ensures I have a clean surface for polishing, waxing, etc...
        Another possibility is from the dried product around the spout of your bottle. I always notice this on my bottles, and do my best to wipe and poke at it till it's gone prior to putting the product on my pad. I have toothpicks in my detailing box just for this purpose.
        Just some ideas that may help you find a solution to your problem.

Dave

Comment

sorry I forgot to mention some things...yes I'm changing pads and those pads are only used with one product per pad. I'm in a garage which should help with air borne contaminets. and again a finish pad does the job fine but not a polishing pad. I have also tryed QD between steps, but I get this micro swrils before I move on to the next step. my black and decker machine woundn't allow me to go any slower than 1500, so I couldn't go any slower. I also should mention that I don't have this problem on any other of the vehicles I do (about 15 of them at different levels.) but this is the only black on.
          Thanks for taking the time to help.
          2019 GMC Sierra
          1500 AT4

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');