• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I put in the eibach springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I put in the eibach springs?

I have some eibach lowering springs sould I put those on, Does it affect ride quality? anybody have experience with these eibach springs with mustangs. Are they hard to install?
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: Should I put in the eibach springs?

Yes shorter springs will USUALLY stiffen the ride if the wire diameter is the same.

To maintain "ride" the coil number needs to be the same as stock.

Here's a homework asignment- what is the spring rate of Eibach compared to factory springs (a ford service department can help with the factory spec. Eibach will easily tell you their spec).

Bigger number = stiffer ride (usually what is desired?)

What are you attempting to do?

The best way to maintain something close to ride quality is by using a performance shock with adjustable settings.

Larger diameter Sway bars can reduce sway with some stiffer ride change with road bumps but not nearly as much as spring rates.
    I think you should contact Eibach and also consider the best shock or coil over combination. They can tell you more than you know.

PS- you will need to realign the front end in a big big way.

The rear and front requires heght adjustment too

good luck!

Comment

What my goal is. To lower the car with out ruining ride quality.Do i have to realign the car when they are put on? Plus I have them for sale and no body wants to buy them so I thought, I do not want them sit might as well put them on.
      Alex
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Originally posted by 03mach1 View Post
        What my goal is. To lower the car with out ruining ride quality.Do i have to realign the car when they are put on? Plus I have them for sale and no body wants to buy them so I thought, I do not want them sit might as well put them on.
        Yes you will have to get an alignment done. Anytime you change the ride height you should get an alignment.
        If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Thanks on that info. I might do it or not do it. it depends on what my dad says. He likes to keep everything stock but I like to do minor changes.
          Alex
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Mach- here is a link to Eibach FAQ page.

They say your ride will be similar to stock but you will definitely require an alignment.

Quickly scanned the web page for a V8 mustanf like yours. You will be dropping the car at least 1.5 inches which is BIG caster camber changes.

May require a different alignment cam- not sure though.

.page-user-login .widget_login_email, .page-user-login .widget_login_password { display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: space-between; } We are sorry, but this page cannot be found! If you have any questions or can't find what you are lo

I suggest you talk it over with the main man. Maybe go over the web site together. Also find an alignment shop to go over it with you.

Can be done ...This is not a typical alignment job.

Also you will be very prone to curb impacts .

How's the T-Bird?

Comment

So I read over everything and I am not going to be puting them on. I will have to change other parts in order for these to work properly. I would have to change the shocks out because Eibach says by putting the pro kit on it will cause the stock factory shocks to wear out much quicker. Oh well I will just keep em with the car.
              The T-Bird is fine I just fixed the power steering belt pulley. Stupid old bolt snapped off in the threads so i had to drill it out and I put a heli coil in it with some lock tight. So far the problem has gone away. The body work i have stopped right now because my aircompressor can not keep up with a sander, or die grinder. I am looking on craigslist for a cheap old comprssor. It has bare metal right now which is not good I am going to have to cover it up with some sealent. The whole roof is primed and sealed but I have to do it over. I forgot to put the sealent on first then primer my mistake. I am searching to put a old trunk lid on instead of fixing my original one because it has so many dents and it has the round shape to it that I can not get out. If i use a dent puller it will put holes in it. I am going to need to get a better job because my car payments are starting with my mach and insurace and investing money into the bird. It is a lot to do with so little money I make.
              Alex
              1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Even though you've already stated that you aren't going to put them on, I'll give you a few more reasons not to should you ever think about it again. I have a friend that has a 98 GT with some modifications and his latest modification was the Eibach lowering kit. While it was all fun and games the first couple weeks, he started having major alignment problems, uneven tire ware (due to the uneven alignment). He had to have it aligned about every month to keep the "like stock" ride quality.

Ryan
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Sounds like a good way to go with the Mustang.

A smart upgrade could be performance shocks from Bilstein, Carrera or Koni.

My 65 GT fastback had tricked out front rear sway bars with Carrera shocks front and Gabriel Air shocks rear and true shelby suspension mods. Even lowered the front spring height but cutting a turn or so. With excessive outside tire wear I went back to stock height but stiffer heavier Thunderbird springs. That with a roll cage etc...shock tower stiffeners with heim joints...etc...was a FUN FIRM ride. I'd replace the Goodrich TA's every 6 months (my daily drive caruntil I got the Nissan).

Ajustable dampening. You get the expereince of suspension mods without all the headaches or $$$ costs. AND no alignment issues.

Just have fun with the car and drive it (and take care of it)

You have bigger needs now also and a long time to do the other HIPO dreams.

Comment

I would have to echo "lilblkblt04" with the experiences with lowering kits. I would not recommend that unless you really plan on racing (race circuit) otherwise you needlessly make your ride stiff, and rough for no benefit (outside of looks). Adjustable dampening is the best comprimise and the ride can change from softer to stiffer settings with none of the aggravation of lowering kits. Remember it took a team of Ford engineers to fully design the correct ride height, suspension settings, shock settings (bounce and rebound) and various other settings that can be nullified by adding improper suspension mods. (Eibach is a reputable company but there are definite tradeoffs there)

Comment

Thanks guys. My mind is made up to not put them on. Reason why I even have these springs is that when I bought the car I open the trunk and there are the new springs. The owner was planning on putting them on.
                      Alex
                      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Any suspension mods on a Mustang generally that cause a 1.5" drop or more require a set of CC plates. I am one of the few with the full Roush suspension kit that hasn't needed them. They allow much greater adjustability over the factory ones, plus they have a nice "bling" factor to them. If you take it to a competent alignment shop and other parts aren't worn out, alignment shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't have to change the whole front end to put new springs on either, that's ridiculous.

That being said, Eibachs are not the best out there. A lot of people that put them on remove them. If you just want springs, go with a brand like H&R. Just to note, I have heard the Mach 1's came with FRPP "C" springs which drop the car 1.25". If you are just cruising around in it, you should be fine where you stand.

Comment

I am not putting them on so I am just going to leave the car the way it is. Thanks for the help. I just don't want them to sit there in the box with out being used. I will just leave them off.
                          Alex
                          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                            Yes you will have to get an alignment done. Anytime you change the ride height you should get an alignment.
                            Hmmm if i had to do that I'd need an alignment a few times a day. LOL.
                            02 Ford F250 Super Duty
                            International T444E 7.3L Diesel
                            Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
                            Straight Piped
                            PHP FU chip

Comment

I put H&R springs on my 06 IS350. It does ride a bit rougher..but it really isn't bad. Eibach is a top quality spring. They will give you better handling and not kill the ride..Most rides are killed by someone cutting stock springs which is really a bad idea and can be unsafe if not done correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');