• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Diego Viper Club at Meguiar's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Viper Club at Meguiar's

Meguiar's is proud to host the San Diego Viper club here at our Corporate Office in Irvine, CA for our hands-on Detailing 101 class.

Michael's Viper

Club Members

Club cars

This Viper looks a lot like a Ferrari!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Wow!

What an enthusiastic group of people, passionate about their cars! This was an AWESOME class, with everyone asking excellent questions and best of all, rolling up their sleeves and putting what they learned in the class to work out in Meguiar's Garage.

Here's a parting shot of the die-hard Viper Club members that helped each other to polish each of their Viper's finish to a show car shine!

More pictures and comments to come!

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here are a few pictures from the above link,

Thank you Mike, I enjoyed it quiet alot!

Take care,
      Albert Fattal
      Last edited by AlbertFattal; Sep 12, 2004, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Viper detail day

I hope Mike is in the Jacuzzi tonight as I think we wore him out both mentally and physically! What a GREAT day. We all had fun and learned a lot. It's Great for a Meguiar's to give us an opportunity to expand our knowledge on how to make our cars look their best! Thanks again to Mike and Meguiar's!

PS. nice smock Mike
        Michael

Comment

Re: Viper detail day

Originally posted by Blue Snake
          I hope Mike is in the Jacuzzi tonight as I think we wore him out both mentally and physically! What a GREAT day. We all had fun and learned a lot. It's Great for a Meguiar's to give us an opportunity to expand our knowledge on how to make our cars look their best! Thanks again to Mike and Meguiar's!

PS. nice smock Mike
          Hi Blue Snake,

This was a great clinic because of the caliber of people that attended, I arrived home about 8:00pm and never made it to the hot tub...

I'm going to take most of today off, take the family to church, and re-charge the batteries... I'll post some pictures from the event starting first thing Monday morning...

The smock incident was kind of funny...

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertFattal
            http://gilbertandmarlowe.com/Meguiars.htm

Take care,
            Albert Fattal
            Hi Albert,

Hey it was great having you and your friends attend the San Diego Viper Club clinic. I mentioned you are all welcome to attend another clinic in the future, or one of our extreme makeovers where we can try to massage some more of those scratches out of your friends truck. Just check the online calendar for the next upcoming clinic and send me an e-mail to see if the class is full or not.

On a side note, it usually best to resize your photo's to a maximum of 700 pixels wide for use on discussion forums like this one for two reason,

1) Large pictures, over 700 pixels wide force the reader to horizontal scroll

2) Large pictures take too long for people using dial-up modems to download

Here are some tutorials on how to crop, resize your photos for use on discussion forums with links to free software if you don't own any for doing this. I use the both of the software products linked in these two tutorials for all the photos I upload to my gallery and insert into my messages.

Tutorials on how to crop, resize, upload and insert your pictures into your messages

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery
            How to resize your photos using Easy Thumbnails - Free software!
            Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike for another great and informative clinic. I can't say enough how much I appreciate your want to give and teach in these clinics. I have learned a great deal and now have the want to tackle projects on my own. The clinic was so helpful in that before, I would go to the store, buy any product and try to use it, not knowing how to use it, and then taking the gamble of applying the product without knowing what the outcome will be. Sometimes creating more of a problem. With the Meguiars clinic I now have that know how and I will be a lifelong user of your products.
              Thanks again,
              Niz

Last edited by Niz; Sep 12, 2004, 08:39 PM.
              Niz

Comment

Randy, one of the members of the San Diego Viper Club was nice enough to let us use his Jade Green Viper to demonstrate claying, cleaning, polishing and protecting both by hand and with the G-100 dual action polisher.

First used some quick detailer to remove light dust from the Viper's finish. Next we clayed his finish to remove any bonded contaminants.

After that, we taped-off one half of the hood, and then we taped the exposed half into two sections, one for the hand application process and one for the machine application process.

Then we had Randy pull the car out into the sun so that everyone could get a good look at how his finish was starting out.

Note: The towels and microfibers laying on the passenger side of the hood are there to insure no splatter lands on the finish, which will maintain the current look of the finish. Even small amounts of splatter when wiped off the finish (from the upcoming machine application process), will tend to improve the look of the finish because of the rich polishing oils in Meguiar's products.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Niz
                  Thanks Mike for another great and informative clinic. I can't say enough how much I appreciate your want to give and teach in these clinics. I have learned a great deal and now have the want to tackle projects on my own. The clinic was so helpful in that before, I would go to the store, buy any product and try to use it, not knowing how to use it, and then taking the gamble of applying the product without knowing what the outcome will be. Sometimes creating more of a problem. With the Meguiar's clinic I now have that know how and I will be a lifelong user of your products.

Thanks again,

Niz

Hi Niz,

Thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure having both you and Lisa at Meguiar's for the detailing clinic. I could tell by watching you, that you picked the technique for cleaning and polishing paint quickly and the results from your efforts clearly demonstrated at the end of clinic when you backed your Viper out of Meguiar's Garage for inspection. If there is ever anything Meguiar's or myself can do for you please feel free to ask.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After everyone had a chance to take a good look at Randy's finish Randy drove the Viper back into Meguiar's Garage and we continued with Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle starting with an application of Meguiar's ScratchX to remove above surface defects and restore a clear, clean finish.

In the classroom portion of each detailing clinic, we teach and discuss Meguiar's 5-step Paint Care Cycle and then after the classroom session, we apply what we learned in the Garage. One of the things we address is the fact that you do not need to let paint cleaners, cleaner/polishes or pure polishes dry before wiping them off. Below is ScratchX being removed with Meguiar's Ultimate wipe microfiber polishing cloth, immediately after we have applied it and worked it into the finish.

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After removing the ScratchX, we then applied a thin coating of Deep Crystal Polish, working it in thoroughly.

After applying the polish, we removed it using an Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth. Pure polishes, like paint cleaners and cleaner/poishes, do not need to dry before you can remove them.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Next, we applied one thin application of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

For this step we let the NXT Tech Wax dry for at least 15 minutes and then a club member did the honors of removing it.

When asked if it was easy or difficult to remove, the reply was "Very easy" Again, a Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe was used to remove the Tech Wax. Notice how she has the Ultimate wipe folded 4-ways which creates a polishing cloth that is plush, while completely covering the hand.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Now it's time to clean, polish and protect the machine section. First, we applied some #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish in a circle to the face of a W-8006 foam pad. You can also apply your product in the shape of an X.

The important thing to remember is don't' turn the G-100 dual action polisher on until the face of the pad is in direct contact with the paint.

For this step, we set the variable speed adjuster dial to the 5.0 setting. The technique for using the G-100 for applying the #83 is to
                          • * Apply 4-5 pounds of pressure to the head of the polisher
                            * Use a slow arm speed - the speed at which you move the polisher over the surface
                            * Overlap your passes by 50%
                            * Hold the pad as flat as you can for even distributing of cleaning power and uniform results
                            * Only work a small section at a time, about 16 inches square give or take a few inches. The important point is to not try to work too large a section at a time when trying to remove swirls, scratches and other defects

After working the #83 till the diminishing abrasives have completely broken down, we turned the polisher off and removed the excess residue using a microfiber polishing cloth. You can see Randy inspecting the results closely here because the results are fairly dramatic as the G-100 has removed many of the swirls and scratches. Cleaner/polishes like the #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish do not need to dry before your remove them.

Interested in a getting a G-100? Check out the Meguiar's Online G-100a Promotion for the month of September

Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Next we applied Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze using a different, clean, W-8006 foam pad on the 4.0 setting.

After working this product in with the G-100 we removed it and then applied a coat of NXT Tech Wax on a W-9006 finishing pad. We let NXT Tech wax dry for approximately 15 minutes and then asked a volunteer from the audience to assist in the removal of the wax using the G-100 dual action polisher with a Meguiar's microfiber Ultimate Bonnet on the 5.0 setting.

The thing that makes the G-100 so appealing is that besides producing stellar results, it takes all the work out of detailing your car's finish!

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Time to inspect

Randy backed his Viper out of Meguiar's Garage so that everyone could get a good look at the end-results.

Mike
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');