• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Products containing silicone in body shop areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Products containing silicone in body shop areas

Obviously, some car care products contain silicone and I understand that such products may be a problem in a body shop environment where painting is done. I believe one possible problem would be silicone on the surface causing a "fish eye" blemish when the paint is applied.

At my local auto dealerships the body shops seem to be in close proximity to the body shop and painting area.

How much of a risk is the silicone? Is there some sort of minimum distance it should be kept from the prep and painting area? Is waxing in and around a body shop simply out of the question?

Re: Products containing silicone in body shop areas

Generally, silicone is in alot of detailing products. Properly preparing a body panel, that is using s good quality surface prep (perhaps followed by an alcohol wipe)will remove any products on the vehicle. This risk of contimination is minute.

Comment

As explained to us in the Meguiar's Advanced Class, the tricky thing about silicone is that it can be transferred as easily as the detailer having it on his hand, shaking the panter's hand, or even touching either the paintable surface, or something the painter will touch....and enter the problem. That said, it's very hard to say exactly if it will or won't be an issue.

Meg's does offer an extensive line of products that are paint shop safe, so you should be ok either way.

Comment

Aside from direct contact, a spray product could be pretty bad....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');