• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Corrections on the same car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Corrections on the same car

This is a hypothetical that I was thinking aobut.

Suppose my car has swirls and I decide to do a correction with a DA polisher and actually do it, successfully. Thereafter, assume I continue on my evil ways and swirl the car all over again and correct the problems.

If I keep repeating this cycle on the same car, will I eventually run through the clear? If so (and I know there is not a single answer for this), but how many times (average) would it take correcting a vehicle before you risking running through the clear.

I know that the depth of the clear will vary from car to car, but are there any approximate parameters of clear coat depth? Lets say for example, I was to use #83 + #80 on my IS350 once a year. How many years would it take (if at all) before I went through the clear coat?

I also know that the answer could be different if using a rotary, so I was hoping you could give me your thoughts with respect to a DA (like a G110). Thanks.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Multiple Corrections on the same car

How Much Paint are You Removing
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Remember, use the least aggressive method always, this is prevent you remove more clear than what really is necessary.

And remember to use the least invasive method when washing your car. It is not worth having your car looking great for a couple of days/week/months and you have a very harsh method of washing and instilling swirls back into the finish.

Eventually the process of repeating and repeating the correction would remove the clear coat but like the link that Murr said, if you always have in mind to work with the least aggressive method you should be fine for years!

Comment

Okay, so in Joe's example he removed 0.3mm of clear and he guesstimated the clear to be about 1.5mm to 2.0mm. He also said the "safe zone" would be within 0.5mm of removal.

Now, assume Joe had to do the same car a second time (six months later) and removed 0.4mm the second time. His total amount of removal would be 0.7mm or outside the "safety zone".

So, I guess the answer to my question is that too much correction CAN lead to clear coat failure.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
          So, I guess the answer to my question is that too much correction CAN lead to clear coat failure.
          The goal is to learn how to maintain your car's paint in such a way that you don't continually instill the kind of swirls and scratches that will require correction.

Besides that, most people can't remove enough paint or in other words most people find it difficult to remove swirls and scratches, so removing too much paint is the least of their worries.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            The goal is to learn how to maintain your car's paint in such a way that you don't continually instill the kind of swirls and scratches that will require correction.
            BINGO!!
            Methods like washing your car with the two bucket method and so on will prolong your paints conditions.

Comment

Thread bump for 03Mach1. Here is one for you!

Comment

Thanks Tyler for finding this thread. That was very helpful. Now I can show to my dad and explain that I will not run through the clear with another pass of #83
                Alex
                1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

By learning the proper steps and techniques, you minimize the defects you are reapplying to the finish. This way your clear will last for a long time.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');