• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing adhesive from trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing adhesive from trim

I left some masking tape on my trim and the sun melted the adhesive. What can I use to remove the adhesive without damaging the black trim?

Re: Removing adhesive from trim

I've used, WD-40, rubbing alcohol (91%), Goo Gone and Tarminator. They all do the job without damaging paint. If the adhesive is thick a plastic razor blade helps too.
    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
      I've used, WD-40, rubbing alcohol (91%), Goo Gone and Tarminator. They all do the job without damaging paint. If the adhesive is thick a plastic razor blade helps too.
      Do any of these damage the plastic trim? I have it all over the trim that goes around the windows.

Comment

Any suggestions? I'm looking to use the least aggressive method first. I tried using an old clay bar and removed some of it. I was thinking about heating it with a blow dryer and seeing if it comes off.

Comment

3M makes a product called Pinstripe Removal Wheel
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Radkonn, I found that Meguiars PlasticX will work well, too, but you have to work it in hard. Try some of that on either a foam cutting pad or a terrycloth bonnet.
            1991 Honda Accord EX Sedan; daily driver; 0-60mph 7.625 seconds top-end of 2nd gear @ WOT.

Comment

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Meguiar's #39 may work. I have had some tape residue on my rubber trim and #39 cleaned that up w/ no issue.
                1999 Ford Contour SVT
                Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
                1966/2760

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');