• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

Originally posted by acsuppa View Post
    Yeah, what does Mike Phillips think about this? Is he on a well deserved vacation.
    I think Mike gets every Wednesday off as a trade off for teaching the Saturday classes.

***Offline Today***
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Not sure how this will all play out, but I do know one thing; we might actually get a class in the Twin Cities metro now since 3M is headquartered here in St. Paul. Plus they have a few buildings here and there in the metro.

Plus, we should remember things like 3M has a pretty big presence at the Michigan NASCAR race and have been really pushing their car-care line. Maybe they will just start pushing Meguiar's now. Plus, I would imagine most of us already use their blue painter's tape. We'll see how this all plays out.
      "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I hope the product line dosen't get rationilized like 3m did to the Duramix adhesives after they were purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert31 View Post
          However, I found the following in another forum discussing this:

"If you look back over the past 5 years at what Meguiar's has done, you'd see a significant slim-down. They brought all D-line manufacturing in house. They killed products and product lines that didn't have an immediate pay back opportunity. They consolidated all warehousing. Then, finally, they outsourced all manufacturing and internet sales to 3rd party companies. That means they went from nearly 200 employees to about 100, making themselves easier to be snapped up if they could not pay back the debt."
          Is this true? Confirmed by anyone at Meguiar's?
          I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Comment

However, I found the following in another forum discussing this:

Which forum did you find this on? Obviously, some find it necessary to bash companies by creating and distributing information that is either false or twisted. Because some like to spread false information, I wish people would start citing their sources.

The plant in Nashville is owned by Mirror Glaze aka Meguiar's.
            Chris
            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
              Which forum did you find this on? Obviously, some find it necessary to bash companies by creating and distributing information that is either false or twisted. Because some like to spread false information, I wish people would start citing their sources.

The quote is from DavidB from Autopia forum.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post

I researched that and couldn't find a working phone number for any of the Meguiar's/Mirror Bright listings in Tennessee although it appears that they did have a plant there at one time.

Comment

I have been thinking about the 3M acquiring of Meguiar's and I have mixed feelings about it.

I am sad to see this awesome, family owned business for over 100 years, get absorbed into the corporate world. You don't see that many old successful family owned businesses any more.

It seems like Meguiar's in order to continue to grow it needs the backing and the capital that a huge corporation like 3M can provide.

I believe that Meguiar's will be ok. 3M has not become who they are by messing up things that are good. Their instant capital infusion will help Meguiar's continue to grow by introducing other great products as well as expand nationally and globally.

Meguiar's employees will also be alright. 3M is not just buying Meguiar's for its products that they offer, but they are also buying the "brains" at Meguiar's, the intellectual property that Meguiar's has.

And finally, we as customers will also be ok. Maybe some overlapping products will be discontinued, but this is normal everywhere. Prices might go up, but 3M can't just double prices overnight. With 3M infusion of capital, Meguiar's will introduce many more awesome products that we have come to love.

Comment

No they don't dilute the sales per employee, they HELP the sales per employee ratio because they are not employees of Meguiars. I think you are missing the point of my reply. Someone stated that they were amazed at Meguiars sales per employee ratio and I stated that such a ratio can look better than it really is if the company outsources some of it works to third companies. I mentioned the plant down in Tennessee that I thought was a third party blender for Meguiars. The Other PC stated that this Tennessee plant is part of Meguiars. However, I found the following in another forum discussing this:

"If you look back over the past 5 years at what Meguiar's has done, you'd see a significant slim-down. They brought all D-line manufacturing in house. They killed products and product lines that didn't have an immediate pay back opportunity. They consolidated all warehousing. Then, finally, they outsourced all manufacturing and internet sales to 3rd party companies. That means they went from nearly 200 employees to about 100, making themselves easier to be snapped up if they could not pay back the debt."

So maybe the Mirror Glaze Franchisee near me is correct that the plant is a third party who Meguiars outsources to not a Meguiars owned plant. I don't know but I know this has gone much further than I intended.

Please don't believe everything you read on other forums. It is unfortunate when others post information that is just not true, and leads people down the wrong path.

________________________________________________________________

We all need to keep in mind what we originally posted under the press release....

"Here are a few points to take away from this announcment...

- Barry Meguiar will continue to lead the company with his PASSION and the legacy of Meguiar’s will continue with even more support for the car hobby & car enthusiast.

- We take our responsibility to the industry very seriously and want to assure you that 3M enthusiastically shares our passion and commitment to innovation, quality and service.

- Our plan moving forward is to continue to support you as we have in the past by providing the same high quality products and service you’ve come to expect.

- Together, Meguiar’s and 3M will deliver a more complete product offering to auto enthusiast, car detailing and professional markets.

- We are excited about our future and look forward to continuing to serve you."

Mike
                    Mike Pennington
                    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                    Meguiar's, Inc.
                    800-854-8073
                    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

^^ I really do hope this is true...
                      Originally posted by Blueline
                      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                        Please don't believe everything you read on other forums. It is unfortunate when others post information that is just not true, and leads people down the wrong path.
                        Never meant to provide any assurance to the accuracy of the entire statement, particularily the part about Meguiars positioning itself to be sold (apologize if anyone took it that way), only bringing light upon that a small part of the quote agreed with the info that the local Mirror Glaze Frachisee stated a few months ago in regards to the Tennessee plant being a third party. I will place more weight upon my local Mirror Glaze Franchisee states than a post on another forum.

Comment

Never meant to provide any assurance to the accuracy of the entire statement, particularily the part about Meguiars positioning itself to be sold (apologize if anyone took it that way), only bringing light upon that a small part of the quote agreed with the info that the local Mirror Glaze Frachisee stated a few months ago in regards to the Tennessee plant being a third party. I will place more weight upon my local Mirror Glaze Franchisee states than a post on another forum.
                          No offense taken

Not sure what a Mirror Glaze Franshisee is ?? We do not have those ?

Could they be a re-seller / Dist of our products ?

Mike
                          Mike Pennington
                          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                          Meguiar's, Inc.
                          800-854-8073
                          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc View Post
                            As I try to digest this I keep coming up with why did Barry sell????

Kelly
                            Seems he wants to expand meguiars.. Hopefully its for the best...
                            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Based on the insightful thoughts in this thread, here's my 2 cents:

I feel grateful that Meguiars selected a good company and I believe it did so not just to survive but to maintain quality and tradition. That takes money. I didn't provide the money, 3M will. Not driven by corporate greed, but by me. My greed to save a few bucks which made it harder to find the products. 3M will help fix that.

IMHO, it's much easier to blame corporate greed, but you don't get what you don't pay for.

Based on some very insightful posts here, I feel Meguiars selected 3M as umbrella not a coffin.

I would like apologize to Meguiars and although it's too late, I now brush my teeth with ScratchX... just to support the company by actually using it's product.
                              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                                No offense taken

Not sure what a Mirror Glaze Franshisee is ?? We do not have those ?

Could they be a re-seller / Dist of our products ?

Mike
                                Well, I guess I always assumed it was a franchise. The store's name is Mirror Glaze. (I can't imagine Meguiars allowing someone to use the Mirror Glaze name unless they were franchised), it has been owned by Paul (I forget his last name) for something like 27 years (atleast I was told he was the owner by several customers), 99% of everything he sells is Meguiar's products (primarily Mirror Glaze and Detailer Brand), he goes to several Meguiars trainings and has lead the training at one or two I believe, and if I am not mistaking, the sign on the front of the building says something about franchise. I don't know, I need some very fine wet sand paper and some Super Degreaser and APC+ so I may swing by Saturday morning and see if I am dreaming up something about the sign saying franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');