• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
    i gotta say i am in the boat with doubts. i would hate to see 3M wipe out meguiars products that i buy at say wal mart or to rebadge all the pro line products. better stock up now!!
    Who knows exactly what they'll do. They bought a strong worldwide brand name and paid big money for it, Barry is staying, etc. There are many possible scenarios. Here's one; they share all their technology and R&D with Meguiar's and give up the 3M compund/polish/wax business making it Meguiar's only.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
      What if 3M took Megs pad R&D and technology and transferred it to the just acquired pad manufacturer? Would that diminish the quality and technology of the pads?

I don't think so. I've never used Edge pads or 3M pads but I've been using Meguiar's or years now. The Meguiar's are great IMO and I've heard really good things about the 3M pads and the Edge pads. I really don't see 3M getting rid of the Edge pads. Unless, they just bought the company to kill the compition.

Comment

That wouldn't work, imo. 3M would be competing with their own, already profitable, Meg products. BTW, I saw some 3M wax and cleaner/wax at WalMart last night. I'm guessing that they can't continue to produce competing dual product lines under two different brand names, even if the product is not the same. What might make sense is Meguiar's does all consumer products and 3M does all professional products or most likely, some combination thereof.
        I agree with your comment on the Pro Line. The only thing I hate is the high prices of the 3M Pro Line stuff. Like UltraFina for example. I saw the stuff from anywhere from $34-$40+. I get my Meguiar's Pro stuff for an averge price of arounf $20. Maybe your also right about Meguiar's being the "Consumer Line" Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
          ST. PAUL, Minn., Sep 08, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- 3M announced today it has entered into an agreement to acquire Meguiar's Inc., ...
          Hey, I just noticed something, how come that David Bynon of Autopia posted this more than two hours before MOL did

?

And what is he talking about when he says we should expect pricing to go up in November by 10-15%

?

Comment

Originally posted by acsuppa View Post
            I don't think so. I've never used Edge pads or 3M pads but I've been using Meguiar's or years now. The Meguiar's are great IMO and I've heard really good things about the 3M pads and the Edge pads. I really don't see 3M getting rid of the Edge pads. Unless, they just bought the company to kill the compition.
            They have that EdgeAdapter which is a pretty neat concept. That would be great if 3M had Megs produce a pad that used that system; talk about getting the pad on absolute dead center!

Comment

i hope this is a new chapter for megs in a new direction and will help bring even more success. i'm sure things won't change and if they do, it will be only for the better. i would like to add the wonderful service i've received from megs all these years, and would like to Thank these 3 individuals (jorge, brian, tim), you guys rock!

Comment

I hope since 3M is a worldwide company, it will be reflected in meguiars international prices. Because per example #21 sinthetic sealant costs in meguiars Mexico over 100 dls.
                ayudando a los regiomontanos a que sus autos brillen waldo_gomez@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                  Hey, I just noticed something, how come that David Bynon of Autopia posted this more than two hours before MOL did

David is quite well connected in Irvine. Perhaps Mike Pennington had more pressing issues on his plate. Really, two hours is no big deal...

And what is he talking about when he says we should expect pricing to go up in November by 10-15%

Our local Distributor has been 'warning' of an upcoming increase for at least 6 weeks. Almost everything is petroleum-based, and you know the price of gas! Valvoline/Car Brite has already announced an overall 15% increase.

?
                  Jim
                  If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

That wouldn't work, imo. 3M would be competing with their own, already profitable, Meg products. BTW, I saw some 3M wax and cleaner/wax at WalMart last night. I'm guessing that they can't continue to produce competing dual product lines under two different brand names, even if the product is not the same. What might make sense is Meguiar's does all consumer products and 3M does all professional products or most likely, some combination thereof.
                    Many companies sell similar items which theoretically compete against one another. They are just trying to match a product with different tastes.

I am not saying the theory I stated was my prediction, just agreeing with a former poster that not all mergers are bad. Too early to tell with this one. Though I do feel that the odds are that I won't care for this merger for some reason. Oh well, it is not like there are not plenty of other good detailing suppliers.

Comment

• Re: NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

All this speculation about what will happen is certainly interesting as there may be impacts to us as consumers.

But, my main concern is for all our great friends who work for Meguiars. Hopefully their jobs will be secure. I'd say one of the best things about MOL is the relationships that have happened while discussing our favorite subject.
                      -Bob
                      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Wow, the rumors are flying already! I would guess this aquisition is going to be a good thing all around. Meg's will keep their current lines under the same name. Both R&D teams will produce even better products for us to use. We will have the correct system of products to do the job fast and right from Meg's, 3M and Edge now that they are not competing with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                          All this speculation about what will happen is certainly interesting as there may be impacts to us as consumers.

But, my main concern is for all our great friends who work for Meguiars. Hopefully their jobs will be secure. I'd say one of the best things about MOL is the relationships that have happened while discussing our favorite subject.
                          +1 Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                            +1 Amen!
                            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post

Thats putting it in the proper perspective. I hope everything is status quo for the great people at Meguiars.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

speculation or not it's still a sad day seeing a family owned business that has come so far and made such amazing leaps in the automotive industry sell out...... Part of the appeal for me is the family owned in touch with costumers service that Megs provides....Buying out a company makes a statement and that is, increase revenue that is their (3M's) priority. i personally will attempt to purchase as many products i can before the deal closes just because the POSSIBILITY products and service will change is there! No one but 3M at this point can tell us what ACTUAL changes will occur so basically anything that Meg's employees "know" might not be the case come actual merger day. Sad sad day we can only pray that your jobs and our products still are the same come the months to follow the closing of the deal

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');