• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Microfiber Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Microfiber Showdown

Hey everyone,

Well, I have been wondering lately, what is the best kind of microfibers?

The market has pretty much split into three sections: weave (Ultimate Wipe), normal (Supreme Shine), and ultra thick (shag).

I have compiled a number of popular brands just to compare them:

-Meguiar's Supreme Shine 16x24 double sided- $3.49
    -Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe - 16x16 double sided$2.80
    -ADS blue microfiber 16x16 single sided - $0.99
    -MicroPak Ultra-Plush (PakShak) 16x24 single sided - $5.50
    -Eurow Shag - 12x16 double sided - $2.59 - I owe you one 3Fitty.

So here are some ideas I had to test the types:

Water absorbancy - submerge the towel and see how much water is left (after letting the towel drip for thirty seconds)

Swiping characteristics - spray some M40 on a panel and see how much effort it takes to remove it (heard about that somewhere).

Polish removal - see how much used product is removed after one swipe.

CD test - see if the microfiber will scratch a CD.

What do you guys think? I'd like to come up with more test categories, but really can't think of anything.

Chris
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: The Microfiber Showdown

Sounds cool to me!

With the water test. Do you have a food scale? Something that can measure oz or grams? Maybe weigh the towel before and then saturated with water. Then do a ratio with it. Otherwise the larger towels will soak up more water, that should even it out.

Polish removal. Prep the panel and putting the towel down with a weighted object on top of it then dragging it across. That way you will be using the same amount of pressure with each towel.

Or maybe I'm getting too technical.

On a side note... I just washed my Eurow Shag's tonight. Wow they are really thick and soft. 3Fitty is the man.
    Scott

Comment

How about price, size of each towel, weight, weight (density) per sq inch of towel.

Comment

Forgot to write that down... For the absorbancy test, I was going to calculate it to the inch. But, that poses a problem for those towels that aren't double sided.

I'll update the towels with pricing and sizes in a minute.
        Chris

Comment

What about a how well does it clean in the washer test? Maybe do the tests you stated when brand new, then wash them once and repeat the test? I've noticed with the Costco towels, they tend to die out even after one wash.

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
            Hey everyone,

Well, I have been wondering lately, what is the best kind of microfibers?

The market has pretty much split into three sections: weave (Ultimate Wipe), normal (Supreme Shine), and ultra thick (shag).

I have compiled a number of popular brands just to compare them:

-Meguiar's Supreme Shine 16x24 double sided- $3.49
            -Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe - 16x16 double sided$2.80
            -ADS blue microfiber 16x16 single sided - $0.99
            -MicroPak Ultra-Plush (PakShak) 16x24 single sided - $5.50
            -Eurow Shag - 12x16 double sided - $2.59 - I owe you one 3Fitty.

So here are some ideas I had to test the types:

Water absorbancy - submerge the towel and see how much water is left (after letting the towel drip for thirty seconds)

Swiping characteristics - spray some M40 on a panel and see how much effort it takes to remove it (heard about that somewhere).

Polish removal - see how much used product is removed after one swipe.

CD test - see if the microfiber will scratch a CD.

What do you guys think? I'd like to come up with more test categories, but really can't think of anything.

Chris
            Hi Chris,

A few thoughts...

Certain microfibers are not designed for water absorption (like ours you listed).... If you are checking for that, you should really use towels designed to do that. You would be surprised how different microfibers are...Imagine using a Water Magnet for removing wax

When your checking for scratching, you should really utilize a surface that all these towels are designed for...of course, we would recommend a black paint finish...

Mike
            Mike Pennington
            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

If no one has suggested it, please add Target's VRoom MF towels to your test. I really like those.
              -Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by BigLouie View Post
                If no one has suggested it, please add Target's VRoom MF towels to your test. I really like those.
                And maybe some of the Costco microfibers, I can send some if you want. A lot of people seem to ask about those compared to the SS's or Targets brand.

Ryan
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLouie View Post
                  X2

Comment

For drying, the Vroom and ADS Cali drying towels are both sweet. Please include.

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the information! I'd like to make this as fair as possible without any discrepancies.

The CD test was something I read somewhere, but it's not a requirement.

Do you have any other ideas for testing?

Anyways, VoicesInMyHead offered an eShine Cookie Monster towel. I really appreciate the offer!

I'll try and see if I can pick up some Vroom towels tomorrow. But, we don't have a Costco within five hours. Is there another discount microfiber? Walmart?
                      Chris

Comment

Sam's has some decent MF's. I think they are the same as Costco's or at least at one time they were.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I'd like to make this as fair as possible without any discrepancies.

The CD test was something I read somewhere, but it's not a requirement.

Do you have any other ideas for testing?
                          We have also seen / heard of the CD test as well, but just use them as they are designed to be used and you will be good (that goes for any brand)

FWIW - That even holds true for any product test

I think others have also all chimed in with some good info

Mike
                          Mike Pennington
                          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                          Meguiar's, Inc.
                          800-854-8073
                          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sandstone View Post
                            For drying, the Vroom and ADS Cali drying towels are both sweet. Please include.
                            Agreed! I finally found a good combo of towels that allows me to quickly dry the paint and leave a great finish!
                            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

I'll try and see if I can pick up some Vroom towels tomorrow. But, we don't have a Costco within five hours. Is there another discount microfiber? Walmart?
                              Sam's Club has some called ProForce. They are 16x16 and sell for $9.95 for a pack of 24. I have been using them & have had no problem. If you would like 3 or 4 let me know & I will send you some.

Dave
                              You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');