• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Microfiber Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Microfiber Showdown

Originally posted by dpardo View Post
    Miahjohn,

Were the blue Walmart towels in a bulk package? I don't remember seeing any MF towels last time I went to my local Walmart.
    they were in a roll of 3 towels for 3 of 4 dollars

Comment

Originally posted by BigLouie View Post
      kinda brown/bronze - Acura calls it Desert Mist Metallic.
      mine is dark blue, maybe i need to wash them a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
        Obsess much...?
        Do you have all those MF's currently...
        Really I only have 3 of them.
        Scott

Comment

Wal-mart has a 1-2-3-5 towel bundle and a 12 towel bag of imperfect towels (odd sizes, better deal than other bundles)

I beleive they are all Micro-tex brand towels. They are all that I and my friends use, as they are cheap and locally available. I would be interested in how they compare as well.

Comment

Well, I finally completed the first part of the microfiber testing.

This time, I tested the towels' ability to remove a protectant (Victoria Concours), a paint cleaner (original ScratchX), and a spray dressing (M40).

I chose Victoria Concours because this is brutal to remove without smearing. ScratchX is very common and easy to remove paint cleaner. A spray dressing presents a challenge for most microfibers.

-No, I did not test the Costco or Vroom towels. The Vroom towels will be in the absorbancy test.

So, here's how the testing went:

I first part was to see how much each towel would remove on the initial swipe. To do this, the towel was wrapped around a bottle to ensure a constant weight.

Then, I used one section of the towel to wipe off each individual section. After each test was completed, the hood was wiped clean with the Detailer line Glass Concentrate to ensure no product was left behind. Each of the products were applied in equal amounts in each area. For example, each area got two sprays of M40 for the dressing test.

The order from left to right: ADS, Cookie Monster, Ultimate Wipe, MicroPak, Supreme Shine, and Eurow Shag.

Wax Test:

1. Ultimate Wipe
            2. Supreme Shine
            3. Eurow Shag
            4. MicroPak
            5. Cookie Monster
            6. ADS

Cleaner Test:

1. Ultimate Wipe
            2. Supreme Shine (Tie)
            2. ADS (Tie)
            3. Cookie Monster (Tie)
            3. Eurow Shag (Tie)
            4. MicroPak

Dressing Test:

1. Ultimate Wipe
            2. Eurow Shag
            3. ADS
            4. Supreme Shine
            5. Cookie Monster
            6. MicroPak

Notes about each microfiber:

The Ultimate Wipe performed excellent in every test. In the dressing test, it wasn't even fair to compare the other towels (I used it to clean up the residue left by the other towels!). The Ultimate Wipe has a certain pattern that allows it to quickly remove just about anything. Very impressive!

The Eurow Shag is one thick towel! It is a consistent performer and did pretty well in the cleaner removal test.

The ADS microfiber is a very nice towel for the price.

The Supreme Shine had a bit of trouble in the dressing test, but did fine in everything else.

The Cookie Monster is an okay towel. It just didn't want to remove the products very well, though.

The MicroPak towel was a bummer. It had a hard time removing just about anything.

I would like to thank 3Fitty and VoicesInMyHead for contributing to the test. Thanks again!
            Chris
            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Chris, thanks for the update and the results. Very interesting observations. Thanks for doing this.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                The Eurow Shag is one thick towel! It is a consistent performer and did pretty well in the cleaner removal test.
                agreed, they are a great value and are excellent quality...

Comment

Great start Chris. The UW is really kicking butt! Awesome towel!
                  ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');