• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

From a product user standpoint, what do you think the impact of 3M's acquisition of Meguiar's will be?

It will be a good thing, more and better products, etc
    19.83%
    It won't have much of an impact at all
    8.26%
    It will be a bad thing, loss of products, less customer service, price increases, etc.
    59.50%
    I have no opinion
    12.40%

The poll is expired.

Re: Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

My first thought was "oh great, there goes Meguiar's". I figured they would just end up getting consumed by the giant 3M.

With the comments from the Meguiar's employees I now am looking forward to the future of Meguiar's. I was really surprised that Meg's only has 115 employees. They have really done some amazing things in the industry with such a limited staff. The addition of the budget and brilliant minds over at 3M should really give us some great products. I think both companies have a few things they could do better at and a few they excel at. If you can combine them and take the good points from each company, I think we will really be getting some amazing products.

Plus add in the Edge company and it makes it even better.
    Scott

Comment

I think that since it would have to eventually incorporate each others products into one uniformed product line, I think Meguiars makes amazing products on their own. The company has built itself a reputation that people know and trust. 3M is a large corporation that does not have a strong connection to their consumers as does Meguiars. Meguiars is a very interactive with its customers. There would be no synergy between the two companies. I dont think that it would be a good idea since the company is already successful on its own and there still are opportunities for growth.

Comment

I am pessimistic,

I see one of two outcomes:
        #1: they leave meguiars alone, and they stay amazing.
        #2: they get involved and mess meguiars up

However I will reserve judgment
        -nick
        Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Being young, I really don't have a solid idea about company buy outs (acquisitions) so I voted no opinion. I really don't know if it will be great or not, I can't imagine Barry letting his company go like that no matter the amount of money involved. I would like to think it will be great and we as consumers will never notice this change and I sure hope it wont affect those that I've become friends with over the years at Meguiar's.

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

The big question is what happens to 3m's auto line.
            1.) Does it disappear save for a few good products.
            2.) If this move happens what Meg products could be on the chopping block.
            3.) Customer service that's no brainer Meg's does a great job.
            4.) The price might go up but Meg might have an ace up their sleeve on this one.

Comment

Seeing positive comments by Meguiar's keeps me as no opinion and will sit back and watch and pray that the company is not effected by the acquisition and that great products continue to come out.
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

It sounds like there is both positive and negative thoughts about this. It may be a good thing in having a bigger range of products, but it can be a bad thing and mess up something (Meguiar's) that is already an amazing thing. The only thing to do is to wait and see how it goes.

Comment

What customers are _guessing_ does not matter, what matters is what actually happens. Without being able to foretell future this poll is as good as one "what we think winning lottery numbers will be". In other words: Worthless and not constructive, it does more harm than anything.

Therefore count my vote as under "None of the above, shoot this thread"

Comment

Re: Meguiar's acquisition by 3M

Not being a insider and knowing the exact points in the deal. One can only go by the general history of mergers/ acquisitions. The company that buys the other company has to put their blueprint on it.

I see in about 15 months, After a evaluation period, massive changes coming to Meguiars. It will be under the heading of " were streamlining the operation to end overlapping services. This is when the end is near.

I hope this day does not come. But I believe it is just a question of when, not if. I hope that all the employees of Meguiars are not effected by this. They are very good people.

This is my 0.02 about this. This is one time I hope I am dead wrong.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                      What customers are _guessing_ does not matter, what matters is what actually happens. Without being able to foretell future this poll is as good as one "what we think winning lottery numbers will be". In other words: Worthless and not constructive, it does more harm than anything.

I actually agree with Z for a change.
                      www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

ng

Comment

Price changes....big deal, so you pay a little extra for compounds and polishes. Meg's current prices are well below the price of 3M and Menzerna currently. Look at #80, its about 16.99 for a 32oz bottle at Autogeek. Now look at Menzerna's PO85 Final polish at Autogeek...29.99. Unfortunately Autogeek doesn't carry 3M but something like Ultrafina is about 45-50 dollars a bottle at your local PBE store. All 3 of these polishes work very well. If the price of #80 goes up 50% your still looking at 25.50 a bottle....to me, still a good deal.

Add in the fact that 3M has some great products and obviously some unreal chemists. Put their brains together with the brains of the Meg's chemists and I think it is a good thing! Its a win, win in that aspect to me.

My only concern would be if 3M was to move the Meg's operations overseas. I hate it when big companies come in and give away american's jobs to foreign nations. Hopefully 3M will keep the Meg's employees right where they are.
                          If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

I voted no opinion yesterday. But, as I think about this, I don't think 3M would be crazy enough to screw around with Meguiar's in anyway that would tick off Meguiar's loyal following (us). Meguair's has a product and customer service formula that we love. If 3M changes any of that negatively they will decrease their profits.

As far as I am concerned they can mess with the prices if they want, but as long as they leave the 3 Mikes (Phillips, Stoops, Pennington), this forum, the open garages, the detailing classes, and the fantastic behind-the-scenes customer service in place, I will be happy.

Mike
                            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

One can only hope that they will not change Meguiars. Though with all of this I am sure will come changes. Hopefully not to my friends at Meguiars or MOL.
                              Looking forward to some new and improved products. I always like to try new things. As long as they keep the standby products the same we will be OK.

IMHO it was a good idea for a poll to see what everyone else was thinking about this merger. Just my .02.

Andy
                              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');