• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meguiar's acquisiton by 3M

I would certainly hope that 3M does the right, and smart thing. I have heard concerns voiced over 3M consolidating their products and Meguiars product so not to have more than one product for a single purpose.

However, you arent realizing the fact that Meguiars has its diehard fanbase, as well does 3M. If you were to consolidate a product line, you would need to decide if it will be a 3M product, or a Meguiars product. The Meguiars name is worth whatever cost they may incure producing more than one product.

Besides 3M doesnt have many products that are sold to the masses, how often do you go into Wal-mart, or any major autoparts stores and see 3M's range of product on the shelves? I think Napa is the only place that sells them. Meguiars has excellent marketing and advertising to draw even the people that arent addicted to detailing in to their products. Most of the 3M products are blandly packaged, and arent easy enough to use for the average consumer.

Meguiars has enough of an edge to stay alive in this scenario. I think there might even be a good chance that 3M doesnt mettle to much in Megiuars and simply takes a cut. Gold Class and NXT and Deep Crystal etc. etc. are well established names that many consumer identify with and 3M may have products that produce similiar results, but the name alone will keep most of Meguiars products alive.

At least for the next few years anyway, unless 3M begins slowly marketing its own consumer products and slowly phases Meguiars out... Which I dont see happening...

On the otherhand, my nightmare scenario is that Meguiars works closely with 3M chemists and reformulates most of their products. In which case Il have to send a FORTUNE to buy all the new Meguiars products!!!

If they were to call it a 3M product, they would lose Meguiars fans, and vice versa. As long as we the consumers buy the Meguiars (well priced) products, I am sure they will continue to be produced.

Comment

i must say that with the current economic conditions, it shouldnt surprise any of us seeing corporate mergers. i believe as long as 3M allows megs to keep the same management, R&D team, and QC inspectors we shouldnt worry too much.

im in for updates on this one.
      2007 Flint Mica Scion tC

Comment

I am sick to my stomach.

3M will do nothing but kill the Meguiars name and destroy their products as well.

I am totally aghast.

r. b.

Comment

I personally am all for it. Its too early to tell. But the two best names in the auto surface business just joined.
          Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
          2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
          2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by smack View Post
            I personally am all for it. Its too early to tell. But the two best names in the auto surface business just joined.
            ....two years ago.

Comment

I didnt realize it was that long ago
              Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
              2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
              2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

I'm still against it.
                r. b.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');