• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3M performance finish vs. NXT 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3M performance finish vs. NXT 2.0

3M actually make a lot of pro.line products for body shops.in europe it's very popular. I wish Meguiar's was!Consumer and Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooln2 View Post
      I used the NXT when it first came out and it was great. A while back I tried the NXT2.0 and hated it. I'm new here so excuse me if I missed something but the new 2.0 version just smears. I had to use #26 to clean the paint up.
      Is it possible that you either did not apply it thin enough or allow it to dry sufficiently?

Michael Stoops recently addressed the question of NXT streaking:

The polishing oils in NXT 2.0 need to fully set up before removal or you can in some cases see some streaking. Make sure you're applying a very thin coat to all the painted surfaces of the vehicle and then let it dry for another 30 minutes or so. In fact, if you apply the wax and then start cleaning the interior of the vehicle - vacuuming, cleaning windows, dressing leather, vinyl, etc - and then dress your tires and exterior trim, and then put everything away you should be well beyond that 30 minute time period and the NXT will be fully dried. It will still wipe off without effort but you shouldn't have any streaking.
      I have not experienced streaking myself, but I know that some people have and do experience this problem. On the whole, though, NXT 2.0 enjoys a wide reputation for being quite user friendly. Perhaps Michael's counsel will help you, if you should ever decide to give NXT another try.

Cheers,
      Al
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

OK, I've used both, so I'll pitch in. In my personal opinion, both 3M Performance Finish and NXT 2.0 are great products. I used 3M Performance Finish on my parent's 2000 white Honda Odyssey. Smells nice, easy on, easy off, no smearing. My dad was driving it in the rain once, and by the time he got to where he was going, the van was basically dry (it had mostly stopped raining by the time he arrived). The water just flew right off! Can't vouch for durability, as the van is garaged all the time, but I've heard some people say it has lasted them 5 months . NXT 2.0 is also great. Smells great, easy on, easy off, very minimal smearing (nothing a little spritz of UQD couldn't handle ). I always do a quick wipe down after waxing anyway, so it was no big deal. It's been on my car ('95 Olds Cutlass Ciera SL) for 3-4 weeks (this is the second time I've used it on my car), and still beads up like I just put it on. Drove through a downpour tonight, and the water just flew right off! Durability is good too. So, in my opinion, they're both great products, and I don't see how you could go wrong either way. I like 'em both!

2000 white Honda Odyssey with 3M Performance Finish

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL with NXT 2.0

1990 Honda Accord with NXT 2.0
        Last edited by CieraSL; May 25, 2009, 10:08 PM.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Ciera,
          It makes me happy to see 'older' cars that are well maintained. Great job on all those rides. There is a guy I work with who has a 93 Accord that just rolled over 225K miles, but the paint looks almost flawless. Proof that you don't need a new car to make it shine.
          Keep up the good work.
          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn2 View Post
            Ok okay guys. I was wondering since 3m has taken over Megs. I was wondering if anybody has tried both products. The performance finish is interesting in that no haze time is required before removing.
            I used meguiars on my vehicles (van, hyundai, toyota, travel trailer) for many years. Last year I decided to try 3m Performance Finish. The durability is so much better, including on my van which sits in my driveway all the time (unlike my cars which sit in my garage), that I went looking for it this summer (2009) in Walmart where I bought it last year. However, I can't find it at Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts, or Walmart.

So, I am trying to find it online, rather than have to go back to Meguiars.

Note: I am not a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisadimension View Post
              I used meguiars on my vehicles (van, hyundai, toyota, travel trailer) for many years. Last year I decided to try 3m Performance Finish. The durability is so much better, including on my van which sits in my driveway all the time (unlike my cars which sit in my garage), that I went looking for it this summer (2009) in Walmart where I bought it last year. However, I can't find it at Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts, or Walmart.

So, I am trying to find it online, rather than have to go back to Meguiars.

Note: I am not a professional.
              Interesting. Well, durability isn't really a big issue for me, since I like to wax about every 2 months. Which is why I just usually go with Meguiar's. I love user friendly! But, if you would really rather go with Performance Finish, you might try looking at NAPA. They have the largest selection of 3M products that I have seen anywhere. Of course, it's also rather expensive. I saw the Performance Finish for about $20. I paid $8 for it at Wal-Mart. Other than that, don't know what else to tell you.

By the way, to MOL!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I've tried some 3M stuff myself.The one I like is 'finesse-it' polish.It is very good to work with and gives good results.I can't compare it to a Meguiar's pro line product,as i havn't been able to locate any.

This thing with Meguiar's and 3M together,I think could be of benefit to all of us.

Time will tell.........

Comment

If you want to order 3M Performance Finish online, it's available from AutoGeek.net. It sounds like a good WOWO sealant. I'm surprised one doesn't hear more about it.

"Find something you like and use it often."
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

3M Performance Finish $3 (not a typo) at Big Lots.

Comment

I tried it last night. I picked up a bottle of 3M at Big Lots since it was on sale and wanted to try it out. I believe it's also on sale at Ollies if you have one in your area. I regilously use NXT2.0 topped with Collinite. My first impressions of the 3M is that it doesn't fill as much as NXT2.0 but it was late when I finished and didn't really look at it as well as I should have. I'll def check it out today in the nice NC sun. It does go on really smooth and comes off smoothly as well. I applied it with a UDM. At the price of $3 it's a steal. I can't say that I'll continue to use it over NXT2.0 but time will tell. If I like it I will def rack up while it's on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorJ View Post
                        3M Performance Finish $3 (not a typo) at Big Lots.
                        and dont forget the rebate

Comment

As a result of reading about 3M Performance Finish on this forum as well as others, I decided to give it a try. I must say, this is a great product. Very easy on and off. Also, you don't have to wait for it to haze before removal. The shine is quite nice. I don't know how durable it is, but others give it high marks as far as that is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');