• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad choices after wetsanding?***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad choices after wetsanding?***

when sanding with maybe grits ranging from 2500 to 3000 would i have to use a wool pad and compound to remove fine scratches made from the sandpaper? or would i be able to use a foam cutting pad or polishing pad?

Re: Pad choices after wetsanding?***

You will achieve the best results by using a wool pad with a compound for the first step.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Like Joe said, the fastest, most efficient way to remove sanding marks is with a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Besides using a compound as an abrasive, the wool fibers of a wool cutting pad will also act as a type of abrasive and the two as a combination will work the best to remove sanding marks out of paint.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        the wool fibers of a wool cutting pad will also act as a type of abrasive
        While I totally agree with using wool, be aware that the wool fibers tend to leave swirls which are then corrected by a foam pad and polish.

Good Luck!

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit View Post
          While I totally agree with using wool, be aware that the wool fibers tend to leave swirls which are then corrected by a foam pad and polish.

Good Luck!

Jim

Correct.

The finishing steps should always be done with less aggressive products and that includes your choice of buffing pad material.

That's the problem with the body shop and detailing industries in general an that's all too often they use wool for their finishing step and while they may be using a finishing polish it's the individual wool fibers making individual cuts in the paint that produces these kinds of results...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've achieved good and quick results removing 2000grid sanding marks by using my rotary with a 8006 polishing pad at 900 rpms adding pressure on the head of the polisher using #85. (You have to use pressure to get the sanding marks out)

To remove 2500 or 3000grid sanding marks it will work great for sure !

Bye !

Zauche

Comment

Originally posted by zauche View Post
              I've achieved good and quick results removing 2000grid sanding marks by using my rotary with a 8006 polishing pad at 900 rpms adding pressure on the head of the polisher using #85. (You have to use pressure to get the sanding marks out)

To remove 2500 or 3000grid sanding marks it will work great for sure !

Bye !

Zauche
              I avoid Wool but I've had good results with either a W8006 Polishing pad or a W7006 Cutting pad using a medium/lower speed. That's what I tend to use when doing touch up paint work to remove the 2000 or 25000 grit sanding marks.

Comment

25.000grid sanding marks ?

I don't think you have to polish this surface --> Just go to the waxing step !

Comment

Wow. I've been using 1500 rpms to polish my wet sanding marks out. Should I lower to 900? I'm using W7006 on rotary @ 1500 RPMS w/ M105. Results look great in shade, but it looks hazy and/or micromarred in the light/sun. =(

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');