• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Product should I use??? - Removing Paint Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Product should I use??? - Removing Paint Transfer

The plastic bumper of my wife's 2001 Honda Odyssey was hit by an anonymous driver today in a mall parking lot while she was in a store. The Odyssey is Granite Green (more grey actually). The car that hit her must have been white because there is now white paint scrapes on the rear left quarter of the bumper. I been able to put the bumper back into position (after bending some metal in the wheel well area), but I'd like to remove the paint that was left behind. Can anyone suggest which product I should use? Thanks in advance.

Re: What Product should I use???

Are there any deep scratches, any of it is white primer? Or just a lot of paint transfer?

If it is white primer, you wont be able to do much. But a good paint cleaner should help with the paint transfer.

Deep Crystal #1 would be the mildest one to try, and easiest to find.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If it looks like paint transfer then you can try some DC1 or ScratchX since they are pretty easy to get.

Comment

I find an aggressive clay works great at removing scuff off of bumpers.
        Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

Sometimes you have to use a product with a little bite to remove the paint transfer and then remove any hazing the aggressive product instilled with a less aggressive product as a follow-up.

If Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX doesn't work then another product to try would be M105 or M04.

M04 works pretty well for this but will haze the paint when applied by hand so afterwards you would have to remove the haze. This would be a two-step approach but sometimes transferred paint can be pretty well stuck onto the underlying paint.

Keep us updated as to where you're at with this...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I ended up trying the Deep Crystal Paint cleaner. While it did make the bumper look significantly better, there's still some white paint scrapes on the bumper. There's also black patches (scratches) where the car that hit the bumper removed some the finish. I figure these will have to addressed with touch up paint. I've taken some before and after pictures which I will post if I can figure out how. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by rackshaw View Post
              The car that hit her must have been white because there is now white paint scrapes on the rear left quarter of the bumper.

but I'd like to remove the paint that was left behind.

Can anyone suggest which product I should use?
              We have a new compound out that should work well to remove the paint-transfer from the other car.

M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Apply with some passion and it should work...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');