• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes orange peel occur? Can You Stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes orange peel occur? Can You Stop it?

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that on my truck I have seen more and more orange peel. I was wondering if anyone knew why orange peel happens and if I can stop orange peel from worsening or spreading? Thanks for your help.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Re: What makes orange peel occur? Can You Stop it?

Orange-peel is actually from the way manufacturers dry the clear coat. It doesn't get worse, but the only way you can get rid of it is by doing a full wet-sand.
    1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
    1994 BMW 325CI
    2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    SR Detailing

Comment

You must just be noticing it more since you have spotted it. Orange peel can't worsen. It can be removed but like 94BMW325CIS said it has to be wetsanded to remove it.
      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Yeah, I had always seen it on mine as I posted about this week, but I didn't know it was bad or called orange peel. I was stupid, so I almost thought it looked cool. ha-ha.

***** now that is all I see, but nothing I can realistically do about it.

Comment

Removing factory orange peel is NOT recommended by most, and I highly suggest against attempting to completely remove it.

Now, with a paint thickness gauge, some common sense, a few different grits of Meguiar's Unigrit sandpaper, and a rotary buffer to buff it out you can safely take the edge off- but that's it. Any more than minimizing it and you risk causing clear coat failure.

This advice is based on my personal experience, and is not an official Meguiar's response FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Removing factory orange peel is NOT recommended by most, and I highly suggest against attempting to completely remove it.

Now, with a paint thickness gauge, some common sense, a few different grits of Meguiar's Unigrit sandpaper, and a rotary buffer to buff it out you can safely take the edge off- but that's it. Any more than minimizing it and you risk causing clear coat failure.

This advice is based on my personal experience, and is not an official Meguiar's response FWIW.
            I second that. Factory paint is not nearly as thick as an aftermarket paint job. On a paint job that is going to be on a show car they wet sand the individual layers all the way up so it is perfectly clear on all the layers.
            2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
              Yeah, I had always seen it on mine as I posted about this week, but I didn't know it was bad or called orange peel. I was stupid, so I almost thought it looked cool. ha-ha.

Nothing is stupid if you don't know. That's why this forum is here. I wouldn't call myself a newb but definately not a pro. Even the pros here are still learning as I am.

By the way orange peel to an untrained eye does look kinda cool.
              2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I will be getting rid of my truck in 2 years so I don't think its worth it. Thanks anyway.
                Joel
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                '99 F-150

Comment

Typed a few comments in the thread below on the subject of orange peel and wet-sanding...

Orange Peel

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post

Hey do not beat yourself up over this. This is one of the reasons we all join a car care forum. Is to increase our knowledge. At least you should be happy that a error on your part did not do this. Just my 0.02
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 94BMW325CIS View Post
                      Orange-peel is actually from the way manufacturers dry the clear coat. It doesn't get worse, but the only way you can get rid of it is by doing a full wet-sand.
                      Orange peel is caused by improper gun setting and distance and hand motion.
                      If any of these are incorrect you will get orange peel.
                      It is possible to spray with very little peel.

Factory spray booths are adjusted for quantity NOT Quality
                      Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');