• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Brightner vs. Consumer Wheel Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Brightner vs. Consumer Wheel Cleaner

I have spotted a couple of posts discussing the wheel brightner and how strong it is. I have even seen it being not recommended for regular use. Is this true? Can it not be dilluted to a level similar with the Hot Rims for example?
    2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Re: Wheel Brightner vs. Consumer Wheel Cleaner

From what I read, it's strong and works awesome but it is not to be used on uncoated aluminum.

I think the Wheel Brightner is to be used on really nasty wheels.

I only use wheel cleaner if I have to, (IE brake dust bad which is rare, although the teenage boy has his permit). My wheels are painted/clear coated or machined clear coated and I just give a good scrub with my wash mitt and GC soap. I use wheel cleaner when I have to. I have only used like 2-3 bottles of wheel cleaner ever. Also, if you wax your wheels, any wheel cleaner will strip it off very quickly.

It's great stuff but to be respected for sure. I've seen wheels that it was meant to be used on, brake dust so bad it hurts!

I'm not saying don't buy any, as I plan on purchasing some
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I have used almost full range of Detailer Degreaser..so far found Wheel Brightener is the strongest since its acid based compare to the rest SuperD, SafeD, APC all alkaline based.

Correct me if am wrong.

Also WB cannot be use on chrome, magnesium rim

Comment

I just have basic stock clearcoated wheels. I don't use a wheel cleaner all the time, sometimes I just use a heavy concentration of car wash and water and use it to clean the fender wells, tires, and wheels. The one I have been using is the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and was just thinking if I could buy a jug and dillute it it would save me some money. The reason I ask is winter is coming up and whenever somebody farts loud they throw salt and sand all over the roads and it causes a real mess. Those who live in winter climates probably know how much of a pain it is to remove all that junk. In Oklahoma nobody knows how to drive on it (including me) so they take extra precautions. I have never wrecked though!
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Big Lots seems to have Meguiars wheel cleaners pretty often, at least around here.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by HemiMopar View Post
            I just have basic stock clearcoated wheels. I don't use a wheel cleaner all the time, sometimes I just use a heavy concentration of car wash and water and use it to clean the fender wells, tires, and wheels. The one I have been using is the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and was just thinking if I could buy a jug and dillute it it would save me some money. The reason I ask is winter is coming up and whenever somebody farts loud they throw salt and sand all over the roads and it causes a real mess. Those who live in winter climates probably know how much of a pain it is to remove all that junk. In Oklahoma nobody knows how to drive on it (including me) so they take extra precautions. I have never wrecked though!

I hear ya on that, here in No. California, the road cinders are red and nasty and I have to pull out extreme measures at times to get that gunk off.

Wont hurt but a lot say to use gloves and eye protection as it's strong stuff.

I plan on buying a jug someday soon but I don't need any yet and got to prove to the wifey I need stuff LOL. I still have 3 bottles cleaner.
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I use Meg's Wheel Brightener pretty regularly. I dilute a little more than usual - to about 1:7.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiMopar View Post
                I have spotted a couple of posts discussing the wheel brightener and how strong it is. I have even seen it being not recommended for regular use. Is this true? Can it not be diluted to a level similar with the Hot Rims for example?
                It's safe when used correctly at the correct dilution level.

What are you working on?

You need to know exactly what your wheels are made of our what they are coated with?

Also, what's behind the wheels? stock brake calipers or fancy stuff? Usually when you spray a wheel you get over spray on the brake components, no big deal if it's just stock components but if you have a lot of money into aftermarket brakes and components then you have to pick a wheel cleaner that's safe for your wheels and your wheel wells and components behind the wheels.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');