• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Washing Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Washing Techniques

Can you guys explain how you wash and dry your car? I'm a newbie to detailing and I'd like to get it right without too much trial and error.

What I mean by this, is what area do you wash first? When do you dry it? How do you dry it? Etc...

Do you wet the entire car and then dry the entire car or do you do one section at a time? Do you clean the wheels and tires first? What methods do you use to dry the car? How many towels do you usually use and do you wash them in the washing machine after or what? Thanks.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: Car Washing Techniques

Start at the top and work down using ONR, washing and drying one section at a time with microfiber towels.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I start with the wheels and tires because dirt will splash on the car from them and then I do the car. Dry with a good microfiber cloth or drying towel. I use the "two bucket" method. One bucket is for rinsing your mitt and the other is for soaping it up.
      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

First I would give this a quick read : How to mix your car wash soap

Next, the main idea is to start by thoroughly and carefully rinsing your cool vehicle (ie, do not start on a car that has been sitting in the sun), preferably in at least semi-shade with the water. You want to "push" the dirt and dust starting at the TOP of the vehicle DOWN and off of the vehicle.

Work your way around the vehicle and make sure to rinse off as much as you can before physically touching the paint.

Next you will want to take your soapy wash mitt and begin gently moving it across the surface of the paint, starting at the top and working your way down just like the rinse step. It will depend how hot out it is in terms of how much of an area you can do between stopping to rinse, but I typically aim for ONE panel at a time. If it is hot and sunny, half a panel may do the trick. Also pay attention to keeping the ENTIRE vehicle wet as you wash as you do not want anything to dry and cause water spots.

You will want to always put the dirty wash mitt in the plain water bucket before going back for more suds.

After you finish the wash, do a final once over rinse top to bottom, and then pull the vehicle into full shade if possible. Use the appropriate SOFT and CLEAN drying tool like a Meguiar's Waffle Weave (May need a couple) and dry in sections.

If at any point you drop any of the wash mitts, towels, or other products that touch the paint put them aside and get a new one.

I will try and write a more thorough wash guide later, but I am in the middle of preparing for a detail tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have found instructive the following video:

How to Wash Your Car
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

How to Wash Your Car
            I would have to agree, see this video that will teach you the right way

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

How to Wash Your Car
              nice video!

Comment

Watch the video. It will show you the proper way to do the job. I remember when I was a rookie here, I did not think it made that much of a difference how you washed your car. Boy, was I wrong. Proper technique is everything.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for response Mark and thanks for the video akimel. A couple quick questions I have after watching the video:

1. Is it OK to spray the water on the paint the way he does? My dad always acted like you should use more of a "spray" as opposed to a stream to protect the paint. I noticed he sprays it on quite hard sometimes.

2. After washing the car, do I need to throw the towels I used to dry it in the washing machine? Thanks.
                  -HealthyCivic
                  Check out the glossary

Comment

1. If your paint washes off from hosewater, you're really in trouble. I dont know how high pressure you can go with a pressure washer, but nothing from a hose will be damaging.

2. I wash my towels every time.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks. By the way, when you dry your wheels and tires, what is the best to use? A Terry towel? Does it need to be a good quality Terry towel for the tires and wheels?

Would something like this work or would I need to buy a better quality one?
                      -HealthyCivic
                      Check out the glossary

Comment

i give the car a good rinse first..i do the tire and wheels &rinse them really good.now the car i wash it from top to bottom...Rinse again.....then sheet the water on the car ....Drying i usually hit the wheels first so they dont spot..then the car i dry top to bottom.....As for the towels i use only MF and i wash them every time a wash my car....hope this helps

Comment

I really dont dry my tires.... and yes, I just use terry cloth for my wheels, as well as under the hood, door jambs, etc. I try to keep my good MF's for paint/glass only.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');