• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To clean, or not to clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To clean, or not to clean

Formulating my plan for first effort at detailing my new metallic silver Miata. Surface does not feel glass smooth but I do not see any scratches or swirls etc. I will wash the car, followed by quik clay application. I will apply #7 polish with a PC, followed by 2 coats of NXT tech wax. The question is whether to use a cleaner between clay and polish. I would use something nonabraisive like DC cleaner as I have no experience with this. The question is whether it will likely make any difference (would the clay be enough)? Thoughts..
    '08 MX-5 Miata GT - Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown Ragtop and Leather Interior

It is hard to tell without looking at your car but what you are planning to do sounds good, but here are two things to remember when evaluating your surface.

Clay - Removes contaminants on the surface of your paint that won't come off with normal washing and waxing.

Paint Cleaners - Cleans deep down into the paint finish to remove stubborn stains and contaminants the paint that won't come off with normal washing, waxing and claying.

If you are not sure then do a test spot after claying in an inconspicuous place on the car. If it looks better then go ahead and do the entire car prior to #7 and NXT.

Be sure to post some pictures for us!

Hope this helps,

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews

Comment

Your steps should be
      Wash
      quik clay
      wash agian (good idea to remove all residual from clay before polishing.)
      #7 polish with a PC
      2 coats of NXT tech wax

To see if the clay is doing what you want it to do, go get a plastic sandwich bag put the bag on your hand and LIGHTLY rub the surface of your car. For some reason the plastic bag intensifies the feeling in your fingers allowing you feel if you Removed the contaminants or not.

Remember clay bar is not to be used as if it were a sand paper, work the clay lightly. What I have noticed is as you use a spray quick detailer or what ever lubricant you decide on, on the surface and clay, the cleaner you get the surface the less you will need to apply the spray lubricant.

Good luck
      lets us know how you do
      and get some pics before and after
      Rich
      If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

BEERCAN's plan sounds good to me, but personally I would add some MILD cleaner/polish like #80 or #9 between the 2nd wash and the #7
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

After claying, I would save #7 for an older pourous finish and swap it for a light cleaner as suggested and top it with NXT.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');