• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut pad & Velcro backing separating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut pad & Velcro backing separating

I searched and didn't find a fix to my problem.

I have the softbuff cutting pad W-7006 and on the back on the outer edge the velcro backing is slowly peeling off the pad.

I tried super glue and that didn't work. Someone in another post mentioned guerrilla glue but Meguiar's doesn't recommend it.

Any would be appreciated.

I'm extremely careful when I pull the pad off from the back plating.

Re: Cut pad & Velcro backing separating

Not really sure what happened. Is this a new pad we are talking about? Or is it something you have used for a long time? What machine were you using it with?

If it is a new pad I would suggest contacting cutomer care.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I've been using the pad for about a year maybe 25+ uses on the older DA G100

I just don't want the velcro backing to peel any further. Condition of the pad is straight and still looks brand new.

Comment

I have used the Gorilla Glue to adhere edges that were pealing off. I don't really see a problem using this as long as the glue does not flow through to the pad itself (I have never seen this happen). What I do is peel the backing just far enough to where it is still sticking on the pad, apply a thin coat of Gorilla Glue, lay the pad down on a flat surface (Velcro face down) and let it sit overnight. Some of my friends have put a heavy book on top of the pad, but I have not found that necessary.
        Jezroj
        Sunnyside, California

Comment

2-part epoxy glue is messy but if you can get it under the lip of the Velcro and against the foam it will work and it's pretty tough. Some people have had good luck with Goop Glue which can be found at any department store like Target or Wal-Mart and some people have obtained a glue from arts and crafts stores for fabric that they claim works well.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks for the replies and will try these tips out and give an update on the results

jezroj how were the results when you used the Gorilla Glue? did it solve the problem and did the peeling ever return?

Comment

Problem gone. I have had pads in the past separate and that is probably do to my washing techniques. I had a tendency to fold the pad in 1/2 in order to wring the water out (no longer do that). I had some Gorilla Glue laying around and remembered that it dried fairly hard and seemed to be water resistant. Tried it and it did the job just fine.

I still continue to wash my pads by placing them in a bucket of water with Dawn and letting them soak. I go by every so often and agitate the water a little. After a while, I will come back and press on the pad by placing on hand on each side, this usually will take care of taking out any product that was left in the pad. I dry the pads by placing them between two terry cloth towels (quarter fold) and again pressing on it to release any water. If I feel like it, I will use the air compressor on the pad which will remove any leftover water. I let the pads air dry and they come out looking great. Final note ... I found some buckets that are just perfect at Lowes and Home Depot in the Paint Department, they are about the diameter of a pad and will hold five - six pads, since the buckets come with lids, I use them both for cleaning and storing the pads.

Make sure to rinse the pads with clean water after washing and before drying.
              Last edited by jezroj; Sep 22, 2008, 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the rinsing process
              Jezroj
              Sunnyside, California

Comment

Update: I applied the Gorilla Glue and let it rest under a stack of mags for about a week. Used it finally last weekend and it worked like a champ

thanks for the advice

Comment

If it were me I'd just bin it even at the cost here in the UK (£11 = $18.70each).......just my 2p worth though

Bryan

Comment

I am glad the gorilla glue worked. I have tried this method and it has worked for me.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Gorilla glue rules! Ready to go in a few hours not days though

Comment

Originally posted by ebevo View Post
                        I've been using the pad for about a year maybe 25+ uses on the older DA G100

I just don't want the velcro backing to peel any further. Condition of the pad is straight and still looks brand new.
                        I think 25+ uses is enough to come to the point of saying it did its job; but glad to hear that you got it repaired!

Ryan
                        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');