• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I don't always listen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I don't always listen...

This past weekend I noticed (for the first time) that my wife's CR-V had some heavy swirling on the back lights. You could only see them when the car was in the sun, but boy were they ever noticeable.

I decided to tape the car and hit them with my G110, a 4 inch LC pad and some M80. Two passes and they were PERFECT!!! I mean 100% perfect. (I was so surprised, I actually impressed myself at how good they came out).

I do have PlastX in my arsenal (along with M83, M105, D151 & ScratchX), but I chose M80, just because I like the product and I knew I could use it with me G110.

Does M80 have more or less cut than PlastX?

Can PlastX be used with a G110?

Should I have followed M80 with PlastX?

Just curious as to whether I totally did things wrong.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: So, I don't always listen...

Nothing wrong with that, M80 is more aggressive than PlastX.

I used PlastX with a rotary with a 8006 pad on my taillights for the Yukon.

Recently I used M105 by hand on the taillights of the Yukon and it worked great. 130,000 miles on this beast and 8 years old with original taillights.

I still use PlastX to start but the taillights were heavily oxidized again and thought "why not" and tried the M105.

I would not hesitate to use PlastX with the G110, the new kit uses a drill with a pad so a dual action machine should be fine.

Test spot though.

Nothing wrong, they turned out 100% good right? . Thats the name of the game.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I used some #86 Cut and Polish Cream (The So1o stuff) 2 days ago after I did a 3,000 grit Unigrit wet sand- then I did final polishing with PlastX on headlights.

Just wait till I post the before and afters...

Comment

The new formulated plast-x is safe to use with the d/a. As long as you had that formula your ok. How about some pics to show off your taillights.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
          Does M80 have more or less cut than PlastX?
          Don't know for sure as they are completely different products and use very different abrasive technology. Not an apples to apples comparison in any way. Regardless a lot of people have good luck using M80 on plastic.

Can PlastX be used with a G110?
          Yes. Usually with a polishing pad but plastics are very different than automotive clear coat paints so some people also use a foam cutting pad with PlastX on a DA Polisher. It's always a good idea to test first.

Should I have followed M80 with PlastX?
          PlastX leaves behind a protective polymer coating for plastics and M80 leaves behind a protective polymer coating for paints, don't know how well the M80 will work for protecting plastic as it is a paint care product.

You could apply a light coat of PlastX or even a car wax for a follow up. Can't hurt.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great info Mike. Thanks.

JA,

I'll post some pics, but I really should have done some before and after shots or some 50/50 shots because it really came out great.
            ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');