• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

road paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road paint

I would like to know the best way to remove road line paint from the side of my vehical

Re: road paint

Depending on how long the paint has been on the car, you could clay it. I have removed green paint from my Yukon for the past few years and the clay removed it.

Meguiar's makes a more aggressive clay in the pro line if the consumer/mild clay doesn't cut it.

I saw a great article where Joe from Superior Shine and another detailer removed a ton of overspray from a BMW, I think they ended up sanding it off. Hopefully you don't have to go that far.

Oh, and to MOL!

In the future, post your thread in an appropriate forum so we can help ya better

Post some pictures if you can.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Goo Gone or Goof Off are two products you can try that won't hurt you paint. You might also try lacquer thinner.

Check out this thread,
      Painted on "Pin Stripe", how to remove?

You might also check with a reputable detail shop...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I should add that when I used the claybar to remove the paint, it wasn't on there very long as I check out the cars a lot to check for any problems and I wash them weekly on my days off and check them out thoroughly.

I also wax a lot and that may have helped the cause too. I just tried M16 and some birds did their deed on the Yukon and it was so easy to clean, I could have almost blown it off with an air compressor (the doo cleaned off very easy with QD).

Good luck and keep us posted.
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

to MOL.
          Alex
          1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
          1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Try the goo gone. Just remember to wax and wax the area after the paint is gone.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

We've finding Acetone works pretty well.

Comment

WD 40 will remove road tar and some paint too
                Barry

Comment

Originally posted by rescuenut10 View Post
                  We've finding Acetone works pretty well.
                  Acetone is a powerful solvent and does have the power to remove just about anything by dissolving it. This could include the actual car paint.

So if you take rescuentu10's advice first test in an inconspicuous area and make sure this powerful solvent doesn't dissolve your car's paint or any surrounding components like rubber or plastic trim.

Acetone is also very dangerous to get on your skin, in your eyes or to breath, so as a general rule we don't recommend this type of product on our forum for enthusiasts.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Seeing as this is your first post, Welcome to MOL!

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');