• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does QD Strip Off Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does QD Strip Off Wax?

Hi guys, does using Megs Quick Detailer strip off the wax in that area? I love this stuff, but I'm wondering if it actually removes wax while cleaning the affected spot. Thanks!

Re: Does QD Strip Off Wax?

Well, it doesnt add wax....

So rubbing anything on the paint will have some cleaning action and will remove some wax. Its designed to remove as little as is possible.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I really have not noticed a appreciable amount being removed.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

OK, just as long as there's still SOME protection... thanks guys!

Comment

Just to add to what Matt said,

This question comes up all the time and part of the problem is many online enthusiasts tend and trend to get pretty AR or as I like to say, DO which stands for Detail Oriented. This is okay because we're pretty DO here at Meguiar's including myself.

The pat answer is "no" Quick Detailer doesn't remove wax.

But because some people on discussion forums tend to get pretty AR about the detailing process then we find ourselves in a position to have to really drill down deep and break-down ANY process where you are "touching" your paint, and in this particular thread this would include your topic of quick detailers in general removing wax. (Not just ours)

So if you look at this from the AR Extreme Point of View, if you take your finger to a clean but waxed paint finish and rub it on the paint are you adding wax?

Or through the friction of you human skin is it possible you might be disrupting and actually wearing off a little wax?

If you chose the latter, then carry this a little further...

If you use ANY company's mist and wipe product and take it and a microfiber polishing cloth and rub it over a clean, waxed finish...

Are you adding wax?

or

Are you potentially wearing a little off through the friction of the microfiber rubbing against the waxed paint?

So our Mist & Wipe products are not formulated to remove wax or any kind of paint sealant but just the action of rubbing something across paint doesn't tend to increase the amount of wax on the surface, it might tend to decrease the amount of wax or paint sealant on the surface but that depends upon factors out of our control, like how hard your rub and the quality of your wiping cloth, and how much you rub, etc.

Quik Detailer does contain ingredients that stay behind and create glossy, clear finish, so it's more than just a product that removes light dust, fingerprints and smudges as it is formulated to make paint look great after use. Quik Detailer is a great product and will give your car's finish that just detailed look.

Of course UQD is a little different in that it leaves behind a special polymer on the surface and repeated applications will reach a plateau of this polymer coating on the surface. You can't add more and more UQD and create a thicker and thicker layer of this polymer coating but you can create a uniform coating.

That leads to your other options... you can wipe your car with a quality mist and wipe product or you can wash your car, and remember, washing means moving some type of wash mitt over the waxed surface. Will this add more wax or have a tendency to wear off some of the wax on the surface?

You see sooner or later you have to touch the paint with something, your job is to find the highest quality products and polishing cloths and washing mitts and car wash soap and then carefully work on your paint to do your best to prevent instilling any swirls and scratches and to protect the finish to the best of your ability.

Also note that car wax and/or any kind of paint sealant is a,

Sacrificial-Barrier

That is, it's supposed to sacrifice itself when the paint is touched in any way so your paint doesn't have to give itself up instead. Because waxes and paint sealants are sacrificial-barrier coatings and this means they are supposed to wear off, it's our job to, keyword here, maintain the finish by re-applying our choice of wax or paint sealant with some kind of regularity based upon how the car is used and thus the environmental conditions the paint is exposed to.

Make sense?

For what it's worth, Quik Detailer came out in 1981 and was the first known retail distributed mist and wipe product. Since that time, everyone else that has a mist and wipe quick detailer on the market has copied our idea.

Copy is the sincerest form of flattery.

See the signature line....

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, whoa, OK, I think that I followed all of that, but I got confused when you started talking about "uniform coating." Does that mean that if I use QD on a small spot on my car, then I should be using the QD on the ENTIRE car in order to even things out? I just figured it was OK to spot clean with the QD...

Comment

Originally posted by CBLW View Post
              Mike, whoa, OK, I think that I followed all of that, but I got confused when you started talking about "uniform coating." Does that mean that if I use QD on a small spot on my car, then I should be using the QD on the ENTIRE car in order to even things out? I just figured it was OK to spot clean with the QD...
              You are being WAAAaaaaayy to anal about this. If a bird bombs your car clean the spot and don't worry about how that spot compares to the rest of the car it really does not matter.

When you wax a car their is NO way that you can apply it 100 percent even.
              can you tell by looking at it NO does it really matter NO you are trying to over analyze this.

QD your car and when it needs wax or sealant put on a fresh coat and don't drive your self nuts over the fact that it may be a millionth thicker in one place.

Some people spend countless hours trying to figure out exactly what chemicals that are used in a product.
              After you find out will that make the product work any better ?????
              I leave all that to the chemist.
              Find a product that you like and use it often and find something else to worry about.
              Black Bart

Comment

Originally posted by CBLW View Post
                I just figured it was OK to spot clean with the QD...
                It is.

Be careful not to make simple things way more complicated than they have to be or need to be, might take some of the fun out of detailing your car.

Another option...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');