• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you "clean" the paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How often do you "clean" the paint?

Over at Detailing World, Dom of Dodo Juice recommends paint cleaning (i.e., removal of previous waxes and the cleaning of paint contaminants) every three months. In the article I read he was speaking specifically of Supernatural, but his rationale, it seems to me, applies to all waxes and sealants. If one wants to optimize the appearance of the paint surface, it is best to regularly clean it of below-surface and above-surface contaminants and dirt. He thinks that a quarterly paint cleaning is a reasonable and practical schedule. Anyone disagree?

Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

I like to use a paint cleaner such as:

Color X
      DC1
      M09
      and M80

at least every 4 months

I usually clay twice a year. The reason i use a paint cleaner often is because i like to start new and have no older wax on the surface if i am applying a new coat of wax.

So basically i clean the paint for defect/swirl removal 2 times a year

and clean the paint for applying a fresh coat of wax about twice a year and use it with a hi tech aplicator pad so its not as aggressive

So i would say every 4 months i do some type of paint cleaning.

I think that made sense?
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
        He thinks that a quarterly paint cleaning is a reasonable and practical schedule. Anyone disagree?

Al
        Al, my gut response is that I disagree, to the extent that I don't think you can apply general principles to detailing.

I take the "as needed" approach. For example, I don't clay, unless I can feel that it needs to be done. If that is once a year, twice a year or more, it depends on what I feel.

However, I would probably say that a paint cleaner should be used at least once a year and maybe more. It's the "maybe more" part I can't really figure.

Also, I am tempted to say (from my experience) I would use a paint cleaner on a single stage paint more often then on a clear coat, from my limited experience with SS paint.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I like the conversation.. although I have not got my hand stuck on DC1 i still clean my paint on a regual basis at least once a month or two, but as dicussed based on what is need...

Comment

If i had to choose it'd be "once a year".
            Alex C.

Comment

When I feel it's time to do it,I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                Just in case my original explanation was confusing, please note that an option is given in the poll for those who use a cleaner wax. I know that many Meguiar's customers use a cleaner wax (e.g., Cleaner Wax, ColorX, #6, #66) instead of a cleaner-polish, either exclusively or as preparation for LSP.

I don't want anyone to feel left out.
                Akimel: Interesting poll. I watch your posts closely as they are guite informative. So what do you do?

Comment

Doesn't "cleaning" remove paint? Wouldn't cleaning a lot be bad in the long run for the clear coat?

Or

You apply a good amount of pressure to remove swirls/defects with DA/rotary, but once they are removed you can apply no pressure to DA/rotary and still clean the paint for light debris and/or wax removal.

Am I correct in the above statement?
                  2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                  Black Obsidian

Comment

There are huge degrees of "cleaning", the most aggressive actually referring to removing defects (Scratches, Swirls, etc). That takes a stonger cleaner, and/or stronger handling. The lightest being a nice hand wash.

Most folks on this forum probably use "cleaning" to mean removing light surface contamination from an already good surface. Using clay followed by DC1 paintCleaner or SwirlX, especially by hand, will hardly remove any measureable paint (actually, clearcoat in newer cars). You could do it often but that is really not required.

I "clean" my paint twice yearly, with a wash+clay+SwirlX. Probably could do it monthly but that would really be a lot of effort and mostly a waste of time.

If it is a wonderful sunny day half-way through the summer I might do the cleaning again, but it more because I enjoy the process than because it is actually needed.
                    2010 XRS

Comment

**This is more me talking out loud to make sure I have this correct, sorry if some of this is repeating what your or I have said before:

So even if using a DA, using SwirlX, ColorX, or any other light cleaner would be ok few times a year as long as I'm not adding a lot of pressure to the DA? This way it's not removing paint/clear coat to where it becomes a problem in the future but is still cleaning the paint.

Also, will applying SwirlX or ColorX lightly (via hand or DA) on the finish still remove wax?
                      2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                      Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
                        ... So even if using a DA, using SwirlX, ColorX, or any other light cleaner would be ok few times a year as long as I'm not adding a lot of pressure to the DA? This way it's not removing paint/clear coat to where it becomes a problem in the future but is still cleaning the paint.

Also, will applying SwirlX or ColorX lightly (via hand or DA) on the finish still remove wax?
                        If done by hand a few times a year, you probably could not remove enough clearcoat to be a problem even if you tried. With a DA, be sure you are not using an aggressive "cutting" pad (use a light "finishing" pad) and are not applying significant pressure. You should be fine.

YES, any cleaner (either by hand or DA) will remove any existing wax. However ColorX (being an All-In-One) will re-add its own wax. That is why I prefer SwirlX (Cleaner+Polish) and then add the NXT-2.0 wax (2 coats) to gets its hydrophobic shedding and long protection. During the summer I often go with one basecoat of NXT-2.0 and top with #26 (or new GoldCrown-2.0-enhanced) since I think it looks slightly nicer on my red car and I dont need the ultimate protection I need during the winter.
                        2010 XRS

Comment

I don't think I'll be buying the maroon cutting pad, only the yellow polishing and black finishing pads. I assume I should be ok even if I decide to use the yellow pad.

Thanks for the info Searle, you've been very helpful!
                          2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                          Black Obsidian

Comment

Chemical Paint Cleaners

Designed to enhance the depth and gloss while properly preparing the paint for a sealant or wax. Sometimes paint cleaners can have micro abrasives or they can be non-abrasive. They can remove micro-marring of the surface (i.e. light towel marks) but typically will not remove imperfections that require levelling the clear coat, but can remove some oxidation and mineral deposits.

Formulated with solvents and / or very fine abrasives (Kaolin or China Clay) to remove old wax, embedded dirt and light stains from paint; they help to restore gloss and remove light surface imperfection.

They are designed to be used as often as required without measurably reducing paint thickness. Some paintwork cleaner’s act as 'All in One' products, so not only do they clean and polish, but also provide limited protection.

Schedule: every three or four months (dependent upon environmental conditions and vehicle exposure). To optimize the reflective properties and appearance of the paint surface, it is best to regularly remove both imbedded and surface contaminants and dirt.
                            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi, I was just reading this thread, it is very interesting. I can't help finding that the use of the term "clean" is kind of unfortunate, especially since it will confuse a customer even if the detailer understands what it means.

I would think the "cleaning" step should include washing and claying if needed and other method to remove an old wax if claying is not needed. Then your car has a "clean" surface.

Then anything with abrasive properties that will level the paint to get rid of swirls or light scratches should be called "paint correction" or "paint rejuvenation" or "swirl and light scratch removal" or something else that defines what is really going on.

I wonder if the "clean" and "polish" terminology came about with Meguiars' furniture products roots.

Comment

Yearly, in the summer I do a thorough detail; at the half way point in winter I'll do a paint cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');