• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate bail out plan....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate bail out plan....

Alternate bail out plan....

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in
    a We De serve It Dividend.

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000
    bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 ± counting every man, woman
    and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billon that equals
    $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a
    We Deserve It Dividend.

Of course, it would NOT be tax free.
    So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes.
    That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket.
    A husband and wife has $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?
    Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved.
    Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads
    Put away money for college - it'll be there
    Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.
    Buy a new car - create jobs
    Invest in the market - capital drives growth
    Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves
    Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks
    who lost th eir jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company
    that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed
    Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of
    trickling out a puny $1000.00 ( "vote buy" ) economic incentive that is being proposed
    by one of our candidates for President.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult
    U S Citizen 18+!

As for AIG - liquidate it.
    Sell off its parts.
    Let American General go back to being American General.
    Sell off the real estate.
    Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't.

Sure it's a crazy idea that can "never work."

But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!

How do you spell Economic Boom?

I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion
    We Deserve It Dividend more than I do the geniuses at AIG or in
    Washington DC .

And remember, The Birk plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because
    $25.5 Billion is returned
    instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

Kindest personal regards,

Birk

T. J. Birkenmeier, A Creative Guy & Citizen of the Republic

PS: Feel free to pass this along to your pals as it's either good for a
    laugh or a tear or a very sobering thought on how to best use $85 Billion!!

Re: Alternate bail out plan....

I believe $85 billion divided by 200 million only equals $425.
    Brian

Comment

You would be elected in a heartbeat.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

It sounds great but as stated 200 million people will only get $425

Comment

haha...$425 doesn't exactly sound like a ton of money...I guess the original writer didn't know how many 0's were in a billion. If AIG fell of the face of the Earth, I think it could cause HUGE problems world wide as they are so heavily diversified internationally.
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Oops.... never did the math.
            It just sounded so good I didn't even think about it.....

I still like his plan better than theirs, although their plan is pretty simple, just hand the bill to us tax payers.

Comment

Where can I find more to read up on this whole event from crisis to resolution? I spend all day in my car/class/work so I'm a tad behind on the news.

Forgive my ignorance, but grace me with knowledge!

Comment

I had someone at work bring that up that we would all get $425,000 and it would "save everything and end the whole economic problem (summarized version)."

I pulled out a calculator and showed him the math. "Oh, well........I don't know then."

A problem with that is if we gave the money to people instead of the banks, etc., and the banks fail, how in the world are you going to invest it into the banks or get loans?????? You have to give it to them either way. Besides, who is going to guarantee that the money will be used for the above purposes and not luxury items?

Comment

Let's just remember that POLITICS are one of the quickest ways to get people upset, and ruin otherwise good friendships.

Please, please think twice or three times before posting to this thread.

Thanks guys and gals.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    I had someone at work bring that up that we would all get $425,000 and it would "save everything and end the whole economic problem (summarized version)."

I pulled out a calculator and showed him the math. "Oh, well........I don't know then."

A problem with that is if we gave the money to people instead of the banks, etc., and the banks fail, how in the world are you going to invest it into the banks or get loans?????? You have to give it to them either way. Besides, who is going to guarantee that the money will be used for the above purposes and not luxury items?
                    Luxury items? Like all things related to Christmas, which is always hard on the economy.

Comment

Here are the

Forum Rules

In fact, here's 5 of the first 6

1. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated.

2. No arguing with Moderators or Administrators.

3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

6. No politics. Politics are a very important part of our culture and it's important that everyone be involved to the degree that they are compelled but not on this forum. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of political websites and political discussion forums and if you want to talk about politics then these other discussion forums is where you need to post your opinions, not here on MeguiarsOnline.com Also we will not allow forum nicknames or Avatars with any political implications. MOL is about discussing car care not politics.

The Break Room is for off-topic threads as in not about car detailing. We've decided to not allow political discussions to take place because politics is very personal and usually political discussions turn into flame wars.

In case you don't know, here's the skinny on flame wars...

Even if you win an argument you lose.

Everyone in the flame war loses whether they win or lose. So because there are zillions of forums to discuss politics, its' best to join one of those forums and make that your place to participate in public opinion.

Now this thread is about US financial system and at some level the world financial system, and there's not rule about talking about economics, it's all to easy for a discussion about economics turn political and that's where the line is crossed.

And because finances can also be personal, think about what you say in this thread and any thread on any forum for that matter, before you hit the submit button.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well know we really need a alternative, the House didn't pass the bill!!

Ryan
                        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

When I posted this message I never thought or intended for it to turn into anything resembling politics, however I know see how easy that could happen. My apologies for not recognizing where this type of message could lead us.
                          Also, Tyler, I meant no disrespect to you in the post where I quoted you. Nor was I taking any of this as a serious discussion. My apologies to you, if you may of taken it as anything other than funning around.
                          I will restrain from posting any further to this thread so it will hopefully disappear in the bottoms of MOL.

Comment

Originally posted by TXShine View Post
                            Luxury items? Like all things related to Christmas, which is always hard on the economy.
                            Originally posted by TXShine View Post
                            When I posted this message I never thought or intended for it to turn into anything resembling politics, however I know see how easy that could happen. My apologies for not recognizing where this type of message could lead us.
                            Also, Tyler, I meant no disrespect to you in the post where I quoted you. Nor was I taking any of this as a serious discussion. My apologies to you, if you may of taken it as anything other than funning around.
                            I will restrain from posting any further to this thread so it will hopefully disappear in the bottoms of MOL.
                            I know you meant no disrespect!!! We are all here to talk! If I can say my piece, by all means...

I meant more like buying, say, really expensive cars (since this is an automotive-inspired forum) that someone wouldn't actually need, but could now buy just because they had the money if everyone were to get $425,000....

Comment

I think if it was distributed between all the home owners to pay off or catch up on their mortgages, instead of everyone 18+, then maybe we can re-energize the economy....But it didnt pass anyway so what do you guys think will happen now? how will this affect our industry?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');