• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

While I'm waiting for the two G100's to arrive from the US, I'd like to clear something up.

Most websites/forums I've researched including Porter Cable own state that its a Random Orbit machine - superior to all the others, but still a RO machine.

Some sites state similar to Megs site, " this variable-speed, dual-action polisher operates with alternating back-and-forth motions that mimic the sensation of hand polishing."

Not critisizing, just confused - back-and-forth or orbital?

Can anyone shed light?
    Paul Marmarinos
    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Hi Alfisti,

The Porter Cable unit oscillates, that is it moves in a circular motion and a orbital motion at the same time. Regardless of everything you can read, what's most important is when you get one into your hands and start using it. You will learn very quickly that the G-100, (PC in forum lingo), will produce professional results not attainable by hand.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike.
      Can't wait for the PC's to arrive. I've been told it'll be just over a week.

I think I'll have a lot more questions then.
      Paul Marmarinos
      "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Re: G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

Originally posted by Alfisti
        While I'm waiting for the two G100's to arrive from the US, I'd like to clear something up.

Most websites/forums I've researched including Porter Cable own state that its a Random Orbit machine - superior to all the others, but still a RO machine.

Some sites state similar to Megs site, " this variable-speed, dual-action polisher operates with alternating back-and-forth motions that mimic the sensation of hand polishing."

Not critisizing, just confused - back-and-forth or orbital?

Can anyone shed light?

Imagine the moon revolving around the earth while the earth revolves around the sun. That's the basic pattern of a R/O off the car.

When the pad is applied to the car, the "moon orbit" alternates between 'back and forth' and 'circular' motions, while the "earth orbit" remains circular.

Does that make things clear as mud?
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: Re: G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

Originally posted by Don
          Does that make things clear as mud?
          Yes it does! LOL

Actually, thats an excellent illustration. You addressed, in part, the back-and-forth aspect, as well. I read somewhere that when about 1 pound of pressure is applied to the PC, the "moon" orbit changes from circular to back-and-forth - in harmony with what you described.

Is my understanding correct?
          Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Re: Re: Re: G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

Originally posted by Alfisti

Is my understanding correct?
            I hope so, since that's the way I understand it.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');