• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

industrial soot on my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• industrial soot on my truck

Ok My 02 nissan xterra is always parked outside. I make bourbon for a living so all the soot and fall out (with plant fibers and all) is constantly on my paint. I just do a quick run through wash at my local gas station about three or four times a month depending on the dirt.

what I want to know is a step by step process with product (and its benefits) to keep my paint from peeling off...my last car (97 grand prix se) had huge spots where the paint and the clear coat were eaten away from all the industrial fallout and me not taking proper care of it either don't want this happening again ....

Re: industrial soot on my truck

its never the best thing for paint to be exposed to this sort of environment, but in this case it is unavoidable, best thing could be regular washes, claying to remove the surface contaminants, paint cleaners, waxes/sealants (thats the detailing side of things), also i believe there is a non-meguiars sealant, that you can get three layers on your car.

my other thought is these clear films added to cars, like stone chip protection, obviously the whole car would need doing, and you may want to get a detailer to remove any defects underneath the film before hand (otherwise you will seal all the swirls and scratches in under the film, not a good look)

Hope this helps

Comment

Just an FYI, kyxteraaguy, I moved your thread into Detailing 101 as that is where a question of this nature belongs.

Please take a few minutes on the forum homepage to get familiar with the subsections of the forum so you can post in the areas that will get you the quickest and best answers:
      Main Page

Also, the 5 Step Paint Care Cycle should help answer your question

Welcome to MOL!

Comment

Wax it with NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and use a quick detailer often.
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

you need clay..... it cleans off all the nasty stuff that clings on to your paint that wont come off even with car wash.....

NXT tech wax will make it harder for contaminants to cling to your paint

i'd imagine your car is pretty scratched up since you use the gas station car wash which smacks the whole truck with dirt/debris covered chamois then whips it to death with those rotating brushes that can bend antennas and dislocate auxillary lights..... they also use pretty low quality soap that will strip wax so all your efforts to protect the paint will be destroyed....

so if you have the time it'd be better to just do a quick wax once in a while with some $4 deep crystal car wash which probably last you 10 washes or so..... and a proper wash mitt.....

Comment

I would wash it on a regular basis. Probably clay it every 6-8 weeks then apply fresh wax. It will be better for your paint in the long run. This is after you took care of the swirls and scratches the car wash has given you.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

A good car cover would be a good investment. It may not keep out all of the contaminates but it would keep out a lot and your car would be cleaner for a longer length of time.

It would still be a good idea to wax or use a sealant even with the car cover but the cover would add a really good extra layer of protection. A cover is cheaper than a new paint job.
              '08 Accord Cooooupe!

Comment

Kyxterraguy, in light of all I have read here on MOL, I have to believe that minimally you need to do the following:

1) Wash weekly, following Mike Phillip's instruction.

2) Clay and wax the car every 4-6 weeks using ColorX and topping with NXT.

The important thing is to adopt a regimen and to stick with it. As you have already realized, you must be proactive in protecting your car, given the industrial fallout to which it is subjected on a daily basis.

Good luck!
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');