• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Resto on Lexus - Wetsand/M86/PlastX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Resto on Lexus - Wetsand/M86/PlastX

Hey guys and gals,

I thought I would share some pics and process info from a recent detail of mine.

I was doing a full detail and when I arrived I found that the headlights on this 2002 Lexus RX330 were heavily oxidized and the owner was in a panic as new lights (which she was about to buy!) would be over $400!!!!

Luckily, I have enough Meguiar's products to detail a small army of vehicles, and I had just the solution!

I first started to soak my Meguiar's Unigrit 3000 grit sandpaper, and after about 30 minutes of soaking I did a light sand over the headlights. Of course, I taped everything off around them first! Here's a picture that was intended to show my wet sanding on the front bumper (Also suffering from severe oxidation), but you can see the tape and the pre-polishing condition of the headlights:

and another...

Here is a direct before shot, which honestly makes it look about 10x better than it did in person! :

After I did the 3,000 grit wetsanding I wiped them down to make sure the sanding was evenly applied, and then I got my Makita, and a 4 inch Orange polishing/cutting pad and attacked the sanding marks with some Meguiar's #86 S010 Cut and Polish Cream.

WOW! This stuff rocks! If you do not have it, you need it. I enjoyed it so much on the headlights I used it as well on the bumpers where I had to wet sand and was incredibly pleased with the results.

Just to be safe, and also out of curiousity I got out a 4 inch white polishing pad and some Meguiar's PlastX for a final step on the headlights. Granted, they already were very clear and it wasn't really "needed" per se, I think it did add some additional clarity. Well, I'll let you be the judge...the picture speak for themselves (And to me they say, "Meguiar's products rule! )
    And of course, here are my after shots!

Comments? Tips? Suggestions?

Re: Headlight Resto on Lexus - Wetsand/M86/PlastX

Awesome job on those headlights!!!!

Good show
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      Hey guys and gals,

I thought I would share some pics and process info from a recent detail of mine.

I was doing a full detail and when I arrived I found that the headlights on this 2002 Lexus RX330 were heavily oxidized and the owner was in a panic as new lights (which she was about to buy!) would be over $400!!!!

Luckily, I have enough Meguiar's products to detail a small army of vehicles, and I had just the solution!

I first started to soak my Meguiar's Unigrit 3000 grit sandpaper, and after about 30 minutes of soaking I did a light sand over the headlights. Of course, I taped everything off around them first! Here's a picture that was intended to show my wet sanding on the front bumper (Also suffering from severe oxidation), but you can see the tape and the pre-polishing condition of the headlights:

and another...

Here is a direct before shot, which honestly makes it look about 10x better than it did in person! :

After I did the 3,000 grit wetsanding I wiped them down to make sure the sanding was evenly applied, and then I got my Makita, and a 4 inch Orange polishing/cutting pad and attacked the sanding marks with some Meguiar's #86 S010 Cut and Polish Cream.

WOW! This stuff rocks! If you do not have it, you need it. I enjoyed it so much on the headlights I used it as well on the bumpers where I had to wet sand and was incredibly pleased with the results.

Just to be safe, and also out of curiousity I got out a 4 inch white polishing pad and some Meguiar's PlastX for a final step on the headlights. Granted, they already were very clear and it wasn't really "needed" per se, I think it did add some additional clarity. Well, I'll let you be the judge...the picture speak for themselves (And to me they say, "Meguiar's products rule! )
      And of course, here are my after shots!

Comments? Tips? Suggestions?
      nice job! you might want to suggest to her to buy some plastx, foam applicators and microfiber towels (give her some pointers on how to use the products), that way she can maintain the headlights so they don't get back into the state they were in...

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
        nice job! you might want to suggest to her to buy some plastx, foam applicators and microfiber towels (give her some pointers on how to use the products), that way she can maintain the headlights so they don't get back into the state they were in...
        I would, but it's actually my girlfriend's, mom's car...so I am sure I will be tasked with the upkeep

Comment

AWESOME!
          The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
          --VoicesInMyHead--
          0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Thats indeed a great save.
            Learning new things everyday

Comment

They look great. Great save. Nice work. Way to go.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great job, incredible results!

Comment

Great job, the lights look brand new

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');