• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M95 Speed Cut Compound - Nick's Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M95 Speed Cut Compound - Nick's Review

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
    Thanks!
    Were you using it in full sun aka hot as Hades???
    LOL!

Sorry but I like to be thorough.
    105 is great and did well in the spring when it was cooler but now it gums up and dusts a lot.
    I personally always detail in a garage. I am OCD about contamination and fear that being outside dust could land on the paint and cause scratches as I polish.

If M105 gives you heck, then try the #95. Also keep in mind constantly cleaning the pad helps a ton for M105 dusting. I also spritz the pad with 50/50 LT and water occasionally and it seems to help as well.

Comment

Could it have been the oils in the 95 that made it look so good? Sometimes those products appear to work great and then you look at it a few days later when the oils have dried out a bit. Swirls everywhere. I hate it when that happens

Comment

Originally posted by BigGar View Post
        Could it have been the oils in the 95 that made it look so good? Sometimes those products appear to work great and then you look at it a few days later when the oils have dried out a bit. Swirls everywhere. I hate it when that happens
        I really hate it when people state this. No offense BigGar, but if this were the case, then M80 would be at the top of the list for re-appearing swirls and scratches. Yet it doesn't happen, at least I've never seen it.

I've revisted this vehicle about a week and a half ago. It still looks good. No holograms, no buffer swirls magically appearing, nothing. I've taken a lot of heat over this review and I'd rather not relive all that. If you believe that M95 won't work for you, then don't use it. I know my experience with this product, and it works. I use it often and will continue to use it.

The End!
        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I've used M95 a few times and it's MUCH MORE user-friendly than M105. I love the cut of M105, but hate how finicky it is. M95 was a dream to work with.
          -Mike

Comment

Nick, Nice review.
            I've had good luck with 95 being more user friendly than 105, but I've personally never tried to finish with it. I used it on the rotary with a red or yellow solo wool pad and the cut and defect removal was great, but it did leave some hologramming. I followed with yellow foam on the Flex with 151 and it worked great as a two stepper. Never dawned on me to try to finish down with 95, but it's worth a try. I will get crucified for saying this, but I had dusting/gumming problems with 105 as well, and yes, cleaning the pad after ever panel is crucial, so I decided "on my own" to do an 80/20 mixture of 105 with Optimum Polish, 105 being the 80%. It was easier to work with, cut was just a little less, but buffing time increased. Sounds a lot like the new 105!

An ways, thanks for the review! I really like the new polishes and am waiting in anticipation for the new 205, if it ever does hit the shelves.

Comment

Holy troll status Batman!
              I wasn't trying to make trouble or bag on a particular product.
              I've never even used #95 for that matter.
              Only stating my past personal experience with oily products.
              No agenda here.

Gar

Comment

Holy troll status Batman!
                I wasn't trying to make trouble or bag on a particular product.
                I've never even used #95 for that matter.
                Only stating my past personal experience with oily products.
                No agenda here.

Gar
                Sorry, this is just a touchy subject for me. You'd have to know the entire story to get the full effect.

No harm no foul

Nick
                2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

No worries. I've been at this almost 25 years. I just take care of a few car collections now and it keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Best wishes.

Gar

Comment

Just to chime in, you just can throw sand onto paint and then buff, at least not if your goal is to make the paint look good when you're done. This means besides whatever is used for an abrasive there has to be some kind of lubricating base.

The problem with fillers and all the bad information on other forums about them is lack of knowledge and improper use. Regardless of what the lubricating base is, if the product is used correctly then the defects will be removed.

If there are swirls left behind then it's the job of the user to,
                    • Correct their technique and use the product correctly
                    • Use a different product for the job
                    • Use a different pad for the job
                    • Do a follow-up step using a less aggressive product
                    • Do a follow-up step using a machine with a different action, for example follow the rotary buffer with a dual action polisher

Getting great results with any company's products assuming the products work in the first place requires head knowledge, skill and experience, we can help with the head knowledge here on this forum but skill and experience are gained by using the product and in some cases tweaking your technique until you get it right. Practice makes perfect. Again, as stated above, this assumes the products work in the first place and we can't speak for all the abrasive and oily products on the market but our products work when the right product is chosen for the job and the product is used correctly.

There's just too many decades of success backing them up for there to be any other conclusion.

Just because a person has a problem with a product doesn't mean the problems is actually with the product, it could very well be the wrong technique, the wrong pad or the wrong product for the job as my post about the expectations of a person buffing-out fuel tanker truck on page 5 of this thread.

SwirlX

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Don't want to get nit picky but what any swirl remover will do depends upon many factors.

I've had people ask me if M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 will remove swirls out of an aluminum tanker truck that was buffed with a wool pad, 3M Heavy Duty Compound on a rotary buffer. One of these types of aluminum tanks...

My answer was "No" and he said, "Why not? The bottle says "Swirl Remover?"

Meguiar's makes great products but the person using them still has to have enough experience and common sense to choose the right product for the job. Whether any swirl mark remover will work depends upon how deep the swirls are that you're trying to remove and of course in the example above, the material you're trying to remove the swirls out of.

SwirlX may work better for removing swirls as compared to D151 as that's its' sole purpose whereas D151 is a cleaner/wax or AIO or All-in-One type product which means while it's removing swirls it's also polishing and protecting, that's 3 things.

Best thing to do would be to do a Test Spot and check your results and then go from there.

What are you working on Darren F?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

No worries. I've been at this almost 25 years. I just take care of a few car collections now and it keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Best wishes.

Gar
                      That's a long time, maybe sometime in 2009 attend one of our Saturday Detailing Classes, you'll already know all the basics but we have some pretty cool new products coming out that you'll get a chance to learn about and see in action.

We also have Thursday night "Open Classes" that start back up again in March that follow a very casual format where you can come down and try out some of our new products for yourself. We would love to have you attend either one of these classes.

Saturday Classes for 2009
                      The 2009 Saturday Class Schedule and Sign-Up threads have been posted!

2009 Saturday Class Schedule
                      January
                      January 10th - Open Class
                      January 24th - Open Class

February
                      February 7th - Open Class
                      February 21st - Open Class
                      All Saturday Classes are Open Classes, any Registered Member can attend by signing up for a class by replying to the sign-up thread.

2009 Thursday Night "Open Garage" Schedule
                      March
                      March 19th - First Thursday Night "Open Garage" - Click here to sign-up
                      (Daylight Savings Time kicks in on March 14th)

April
                      April 2nd - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up
                      April 16th - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');