• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash or Wipe after Rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dealing With Rain

Rain, wind and the weather in general can be my worst enemies. I think it's because it's one of the few things in life I can't control.

...Not from a lack of trying though...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I do not worry about the rain too much. After it rains I clean my windshield. If I get 20 free minutes (usually a day or 2 after the rain) I use ONR and wash the car.

Comment

Today's thunderstorm was quite something huh? It made me QD my car with Last Touch and I ordered a gallon of ONR to use on these annoying days. The rain just couldn't last for a whole day...that way I could've take beading pics of Rubbish Boys OE and Collonite that is on my car right now
        Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

I don't mind strong or torrential rains. What I hate are the light drizzles followed by burning sunlight. Such is the typical weather we have here in the Philippines during the rainy season. It will rain just enough to moisten up the layer of dust on your car but not wash it away. Then the clouds will open up to let the sun through to bake in the water droplet/dust combo.

What's worse is driving on a wet road after the rain. When I get home, the side panels of my black car become completely beige with a thin film of caked on dirt.

During the rainy season, I just wax more often. If I'm lucky, the worst I get are TypeI water marks.

Comment

All of this over a lil old t-storm??? LOL Try facing the fact that for the next 8-9 months there will be MANY more rainy days than non. Add to that that on the days that are sunny, temps here in northern WA are not all that conducive to wanting to stick my hand in water to wash a car. I HATE RAIN... Only good thing is that for the most part, it rains SO much here that airborne pollutants are highly minimized.

Best answer I have found is to keep the vehicle waxed at all times. That way the wax does its true job of being a 'sacrificial' layer on the surface of the car.

Comment

The ironic thing is that well waxed cars bead up more and thus leave more (and worse) water spots behind when the rain dries.

Just can't win I tell ya!
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                The ironic thing is that well waxed cars bead up more and thus leave more (and worse) water spots behind when the rain dries.

Just can't win I tell ya!

Arrgghhh!!! This is exactly what is happening right now!
                The rainy season here in the Philippines is a nightmare. It rains or rather... drizzles.. for 10-20 minutes. This is just enough to capture all the pollutants and dust and transfer them to my car. It also wets the road long enough to liquefy the dirt and cause road mist that stick to my doors like spray adhesive. And to top it off, after the short rain, the sun start burning a hole through the overcast clouds long enough to bake in the beaded water on the car. THEN after the sun did its dirty work, it hides behind the clouds again and thus starts another 10-20 minutes of rain.

Comment

Rain happens and to be quite honest, I'd prefer an LSP that doesn't bead very much. So why do folks "love" #16?

Look at it this way, rain isn't as bad as hail, right?

Tom

Comment

I would not QD after a rainstorm (but then again I never QD) Storms kick up alot of dirt and debris which end up on the car. While small these will definitely scratch a cars finish if not sprayed or sponged off.

BTW if this is your first black car you will learn fast that black will show every flaw in the paint. So my advice is to only touch the paint when you are washing/drying. Only wax or polish when you know it is clean or you will start to see alot of swirls develop.

Black will show all signs of dust and dirt on you car so you will be tempted often to wipe it down with a cloth or QD it between washes. Seriously fight the urge and just wash it or wait til you wash it. Otherwise you will induce alot of noticeable microscratching.

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                      ...to be quite honest, I'd prefer an LSP that doesn't bead very much...
                      Me too! Is there such a thing? Whilst still giving the protection and shine of say, NXT?

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket_Aces View Post
                        BTW if this is your first black car you will learn fast that black will show every flaw in the paint. So my advice is to only touch the paint when you are washing/drying. Only wax or polish when you know it is clean or you will start to see alot of swirls develop.
                        I agree. Unfortunately, in some places where I park, there are people who have absolutely no respect for other people's things.

Those people seem to have a very keen eye on shiny black cars that are dirty. When they spot a shiny but dirty dark colored car, their fingers start to get possessed by the devil and compels them to scribble "Kinis" (that's "smooth and shiny" in our language) and "Please clean me" on my paint.

So if it's a choice between consistent ColorXable swirls and etched "Kinis"/"Please clean me" writings that requires ScratchX, I'd choose the lesser evil.

Comment

Re: Wash or Wipe after Rain?

Moved to Hot Topics

Tagged wtih Rain

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');