• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash or Wipe after Rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash or Wipe after Rain?

Wash or Wipe after Rain?

How do you guys deal with rain? I'm brand new to detailing and I have a brand new black Honda Civic. I went to the gym this morning and apparently it rained for like 10 minutes because I came out and the cars were all wet and then the sun was out so it was creating water spots extremely fast. So the spots got all over the car. Unfortunately, I still have to go to work soon so I had no time to wash or rinse the car, plus the sun was out in full force so I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

So what I did was try to do a Q.D. to remove the mineral spots but I was kinda in a rush and it was my first time dealing with this on the new car. The MF towels I used got black dirt really quick because the minerals so I ended up using a bunch of them.

Anyway, how do you guys deal with rain? As much as I'd like to avoid it, that's not realistic and rain happens. Thanks!
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: Dealing With Rain

Rain is a problem.

Not much you can do except what you tried or wash the car or later wash the car and if you find water spots then clean, polish and protect.

How bad the spots are depends upon what's in the air when it rains, the more pollution in the air then it's likely the water spots can be worse.

There really isn't an easy answer except to maintain a good coat of wax or a paint sealant on your car and then do your best to keep it clean to the best of your abilities...

Sometimes because of priorities, (work), there's not much you can do.

It rained up here in the desert at 6:00am this morning and the wife's Honda Pilot gets the garage and my car gets to sit outside, so I was up tarping the Jimmy because it's a convertible and later this week I'll probably get to polish the paint again to remove any water spots.

For this I'll use D151 with a DA Polisher and just do a light waxing and this should remove any spots.

Darn world....

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If one has the opportunity to dry one's car shortly after it's been rained upon, should one just dry it normally? Would there be any benefit to spray the already wet panels with QD, for example? I have seen that sometimes suggested, but I do not understand the reason behind the practice. TIA.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Rain is a problem.

Not much you can do except what you tried or wash the car or later wash the car and if you find water spots then clean, polish and protect.

How bad the spots are depends upon what's in the air when it rains, the more pollution in the air then it's likely the water spots can be worse.

There really isn't an easy answer except to maintain a good coat of wax or a paint sealant on your car and then do your best to keep it clean to the best of your abilities...

Sometimes because of priorities, (work), there's not much you can do.

It rained up here in the desert at 6:00am this morning and the wife's Honda Pilot gets the garage and my car gets to sit outside, so I was up tarping the Jimmy because it's a convertible and later this week I'll probably get to polish the paint again to remove any water spots.

For this I'll use D151 with a DA Polisher and just do a light waxing and this should remove any spots.

Darn world....

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Well, QDing while drying would at least add a little lubrication....
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
            If one has the opportunity to dry one's car shortly after it's been rained upon, should one just dry it normally?
            No.

Originally posted by akimel View Post
            Would there be any benefit to spray the already wet panels with QD, for example? I have seen that sometimes suggested, but I do not understand the reason behind the practice. TIA.
            Yes because there is dirt/dust in the rain water and that will scratch the paint. QD will help lubricate the surface to keep that from happening. At the same time, best and safest bet is to wash the car.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post

best and safest bet is to wash the car.

Agree.

Now if you're parked at a store on your way to work and not time or opportunity to hand wash your car then you have two options.

1) Do nothing. Drive to work, keep your job and deal with it later.

2) Do something. If you know or think they're might be dirt on the car deposited by the rain, or the car was dusty before and rained, whatever the deal is, if you think or know the finish has dirt on it then you then need to consider the risk of wiping down your car's paint.

Theres no mist and wipe product by any company that's perfect for this kind of job that's going to give you peace of mind as you wipe the car down.

If you choose to wipe the freshly rained-on car down then do the best you can do then drive to work and keep your job. You can deal with any subsequent paint problems later.

Kind of a real-world scenario...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Can someone enlighten me on this "rain" idea? I once read in elementry school that perioically water would fall from the sky to help the grass grow...then cows eat grass...and we drink the cows milk, etc.

Guess Nashville, TN was an exception. No gas, no rain, no good.
                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Rain's great as long as it isnt over my car....
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                    Can someone enlighten me on this "rain" idea?
                    Water spots are the problem. Especially if they end up being Type II

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I heard the thunder and saw the lightening from that storm at my house...never rained though.

Ryan
                      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Washing is always the answer. I would never touch a car that was dirty and then lightly rained on. If you have wax on it already then it should be fine until you can wash it.

Comment

Took some pictures of the dirt spots, will add them to this thread...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Dirt Spots/Water Spots after Rain

Washed my truck on Friday, so it wasn't freshly washed before it rained, it had been 2 days, (took these pictures on Monday). but the truck wasn't what you would call dirty, just dusty.

Here's some photos of the dirt spots on the hood after a light sprinkle early in the morning.

Original pic #1

Original pic #1 resized to 800 pixels wide

Original pic #2

Original pic #1 resized to 800 pixels wide

Close-ups...

Now some of the dirt on the hood could have been blown onto the hood via the wind and then heavier deposits of dirt accumulated on the water puddles/spots. Even so, the end result is dirt on the water spots after the rain because where your car is parked, if it rains it could also be windy.

From the looks of the last two close-ups, it looks like it would be safer to rinse the car really well and then wash it, not wipe it down.
                            Personal preference.

I'll try to wash the truck later tonight and if it rains again try to capture a few more pictures of the results.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.
                              -HealthyCivic
                              Check out the glossary

Comment

Working...
                              X