• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru WRX Headlight/Rockblocker Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru WRX Headlight/Rockblocker Restoration

I have a 2005 Subaru WRX with "RockBlocker" on it. If you've never used it... it's a Godsend! Gone are the days I have to worry about cracking or scratching a headlight. Basically this is a 3M film that goes over your headlight to protect it from scratches, dings or breakage (like clear bra). It's saved my headlights countless times as I can see where debris has taken chunks out of the film (it's pretty thick). Best of all it's pretty easy to maintain (vinyl protectant).

I have had this same film on my car for the last 3+ years, so it had begun to show some wear and was not as clear as the day I put it on. As you can see in the BEFORE photos it was a little hazy and scratches and there was yellowing/browning on the inside edges.

I decided it needed a thorough cleaning so I pulled out the trusty Meguiar's Plastic Trio.

• Meguiar's #17 Plastic Cleaner
    • #10 Plastic Polish
    • #18 Plastic Detailer
    • Microfiber towel (coarse) for working cleaner/polish
    • Microfiber towel (plush/smooth) for removing polish and #18

trying to restore: "RockBlocker" or "Lamin-x" headlight protective film. Search google for these products as I'm not allowed to post direct links yet.

As you can see I was able to get most of the yellowing/browning off by hand and got a lot of the scuffs and scratches out. The material is very soft so it's almost impossible to get every imperfection out. I think I may try some PlastX by hand and see if I can get better results. If that doesn't work I'll try a D/A. I will update this post when I try the PlastX.

All in all I'm very happy with the results for a DAILY DRIVEN car. BEFORE, it was hazy, scratched, contaminated/embedded debris, and felt like sandpaper; AFTER, is now very smooth and much clearer than before. I wasn't looking for show car results, if I was I would have just spent another $40 for some new material or just left it bare plastic and polish it out every couple of weeks. My headlights are brand spanking new underneath as I put this film on the day I brought the car home!

If you have a daily driver and are worried about your lights being damaged this is a great product. It eliminates the need to constantly polish out your headlights to keep them from getting hazy and show signs of wear. It's much cheaper to replace this stuff once a year than replace a headlight on a modern car. Just call it cheap insurance!

Both companies offer film in different colors/tints for headlights, foglights and tailights. They also offer paint protection kits. I am in no way affiliated with either company, I just really like the products they offer.

------------------
    UPDATE 9/29/08

PlastX does NOT work on this film. I just went and bought some on my lunch break and tested a spot with a foam pad. It's too abrasive for the soft material. I think there is a top coating on the film as well, it scrathes it... So it's back to the #17. I think I'll try it with a D/A and see what happens.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
    R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Re: Subaru WRX Headlight/Rockblocker Restoration

Huge improvement. They look brand new. They cleaned up very well.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Awesome review REVNU...thanks for sharing your experiences with the community!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I may have to look into this stuff for my large footlong vertical lights

Comment

I should have put this stuff on my car when i brought it home. eh maybe I can give them a quick detail and then apply this.
          Schotography

Comment

That's for sharing your experience

Comment

Headlights look great. I have been meaning to try that on my Impala. Thanks for sharing.

Andy
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I need to do my headlights really bad. Nice car

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');