• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearcoat or Just Use Color Touch-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearcoat or Just Use Color Touch-Up

I found a couple of chips on my daily driver today. One area of the group of chips looks like its down to the primer so I am going to fill that in with color. The other two areas look like the clearcoat chipped off but the color coat is still there. The only problem is it looks like the color coat surface is scuffed so it is dull with a couple of scratches running through it. Will covering this up with clearcoat be okay or should I just fill in the whole area with color touch-up? I am afraid if I just put clear on it that it will still appear scuffed underneath the clear.

I plan to sand this flat and buff once its cured.

Re: Clearcoat or Just Use Color Touch-Up

What is the year make and model of the vehicle ? and color

Comment

Go to an autobody supply store and see if they can match the color and give you a half a pint. Then go grab some very fine artist brushes. Slowly build the area back up to the original thickness of the paint.
      If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

I have touch up paint from the dealer. I am just wondering if I should apply clearcoat only on the areas missing clearcoat. The colored part looks scuff. I am unsure if applying on the clear will be enough make the scuffed part look unscuffed again or will I need to apply color then clear or if just applying all color would be okay.

The car is a Silver Metallic 2006 Scion tC (Toyota product).

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');