• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusion over NXT Spray Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion over NXT Spray Wax

There appears to be some confusion over Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax. Recently I have been reading posts on other forums that indicate that some people are under the impression that the NXT Spray Wax must be used with the NXT Tech Wax as a sort of system.

This is not true.

NXT Spray Wax is an option, not a requirement.

Just like our spray wax in the Consumer Line, Quik Wax

Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax is a maintenance product that can be used in-between a regular application of a normal wax and washing, or after using a quick detailer.

Both of Meguiar’s spray waxes, NXT Generation Spray Wax and Quik Wax are for restoring that just waxed look quickly and easily. Both of these products add richness to your cars finish. They both restore gloss, shine and slickness.

Part of the confusion I think, (from posts I've read here and on other forums), may come from the word/term, Booster Wax.

Since I coined the term first on 2-3 other forums, in threads dealing with Meguiar’s Quik Wax, let me explain the meaning and idea behind the term.

There was a thread on another forum where a person purchased and tried Meguiar’s' Quik Wax and then complained that it didn't work. I chimed in on the thread and found out that the person using this product was using it on a car that the finish had been neglected.

The car's finish needed to washed, clayed, and then have either a cleaner/wax or a multi-step system used on the finish to restore it to an acceptable standard. The person that purchased this product was under the impression it was a wax like most waxes on the market and could be used as such.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Spray waxes like Meguiar’s Quik Wax and NXT Spray Wax are not replacements for cleaner waxes, or any traditional wax found a bottle or can, nor are they formulated to remove above surface contaminants, (Like a clay bar does), or remove oxidation, road stain and imbedded dirt, or other surface contaminants like a paint cleaner.

The reason the person was not happy with the product was because it was the wrong product for the job. Meguiar's spray waxes are for use on finishes that are already in excellent shape and already have a good base coat of wax. When used on a finish that fits this description, they both work excellent.

After explaining the above in this thread on another forum, and in other similar threads, I began thinking of a way to explain how this product is intended to be used with a few words, which could be used on the front label. The words I came up with were, Booster Wax.

The idea being is that this is a product that can be used to boost, or renew the previously achieved results, quickly and easily by simply misting this product on, spreading it around and the wiping it off. With a little practice and technique, this product works excellent to restore that just waxes look to your car's finish.

That's all there is to it. Some people have tried to define what this product is for other than what I have explained above, and others have implied it's a necessary component of the NXT Tech Wax as in a system.

While these two products do compliment each other, and they are both chemically compatible, you do not have to use the NXT Spray Wax with the Tech Wax in order to get the benefits and features of the Tech Wax.

I hope this helps explain the positioning of this product and the term booster wax.

NXT Generation Spray BoosterWax

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

After recently "revisiting" the spray wax(the old formula, pre the "now with deeper gloss" claim) I would have to agree. It really brought back the fresh sparkling look of the carnauba.

While I enjoy the NXT booster, I find it a bit more tempermental than the quick wax.

How is the NXT booster? Are sale strong or do you think that it will be discontinued? I don't see a lot of talk about it.
    Last edited by ebpcivicsi; Sep 16, 2004, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Personally I like the NXT Spray Wax. I have only used it twice though and it does seem to be a little harder to use. Especially if you are used to using Quik Wax. Along with the fact that it does rejuvenate the NXT shine, I'm sure it will also extend the endurance of NXT overall.
      "Meguiar's, Im back home Again, and plan to Stay!".
      They call me "Blue"

Comment

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi
        After recently "revisiting" the spray wax(the old formula, pre the "now with deeper gloss" claim) I would have to agree. It really brought back the fresh sparkling look of the carnauba.

While I enjoy the NXT booster, I find it a bit more temperamental than the quick wax.

How is the NXT booster? Are sale strong or do you think that it will be discontinued? I don't see a lot of talk about it.
        I don't know what sales are like for NXT Spray Wax, (or any product for that matter, I don't receive that information).

Here's what I do know, In the U.S. Meguiar's has

The number one selling quick Detailer - Quik Detailer
        The number one selling spray wax - Quik Wax
        The number one selling cleaner/wax - Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax
        The number one selling premium liquid wax - Gold Class Liquid Wax

So I don't think NXT Spray Wax is going away, it's a great product. In fact, I'm going to apply some to the Pilot today.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

^ No doubt about the tech wax. I am on my third bottle, odd for me.

I just wonder about the NXT spray wax.

I always thought that the GC prep and swirl reducer was a great product, but the public didn't respond too well to it...I guess. I bought every bottle that I could find when it went on clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi
            ^ No doubt about the tech wax. I am on my third bottle, odd for me.

I just wonder about the NXT spray wax.
            Whoops! My mistake, I meant to type NXT Spray Wax above, if you look now, I edited it to read correctly.

As far as NXT Tech Wax goes, it's doing very well.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Update

The above statement that Gold Class Wax is the number one selling liquid premium wax is America is no longer true as it has been surpassed by NXT Tech Wax according to NPD. Here's the link to a thread about this.

NXT Tech Wax the Number One Selling Liquid Wax in America!

Also, here are two write-ups on how to use a spray wax correctly,

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

This one includes how to use our new microfiber wax applicator to apply a liquid spray wax.

Testing out Meguiar's Spray Wax, Even Coat Applicator & Supreme Shine Microfiber

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I can't buy NXT spray wax down here in Aus.

All we have still is Quik wax and Quik detailer.

I hope it comes out soon...it sounds like the perfect product for my needs.

Comment

So far for me the Tech wax has worked great and I love it, but I was wondering how you guys felt about the spray wax? I was considering buying some the other day when I was at Pep Boys while I picked up some 26, but wanted to get some feedback to see how well it works. From what I've heard and seen through Mike's picture demos the results are awesome but any input or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be applying with a foam applicator probably.
                  Jason
                  2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Comment

Hey jetta18T

I have been using the NXT Spray Wax and quite like it. It really does boost the finish to that just waxed look! I have found that you need to apply it sparlingly. If you used too much, you may get some light streaking. The other key is to use 2 MF towels. One for applying and one for removal.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I used the NXT Spray Wax for the first time today (purchased it online from the US, to get it here in Aust).

I had used the Deep Crystal system steps 2 and 3 two weeks ago on a brand new car (hence no step 1). I washed the car two days ago, so before applying I used Final Inspection to give the car a freshen up.

From start to finish on a 5-door hatchback took 35mins, which is less time for me than doing a full wax step. I used one side of a terry cloth to apply the product and then only one microfibre polishing cloth to remove. When I first started the wipe off process I could see it was going to take forever! So out came the Final Inspection again and wipe off was a breeze.

End result: Car clearly looked just waxed, like it did two weeks ago. The surface was not a slippery as two weeks ago after the proper waxing, but it was ever so slightly slicker than before the NXT Spray Wax.

If it adds extra protection I will do the bonnet and roof after every wash, as that should only add an extra 10mins to the washing program.

Comment

Like many, I have given up on using the booster wax as intended.

It's just too easy to put a quick layer of S100 on after a wash.

No matter what I've tried, the NXT booster is harder to apply and gives worse results. So mostly I just use it as an occasional additive to the wash bucket.

In my view a booster wax should spread and apply as easily as the best quick detailers.

Or else, phhfftt...

Comment

Originally posted by jvcn
                          Like many, I have given up on using the booster wax as intended.
                          Actually, "many" haven't given up and Meguiar's Quick Wax is the Number One selling spray-on wax in America.

It's just too easy to put a quick layer of S100 on after a wash.
                          What color is your car?

No matter what I've tried, the NXT booster is harder to apply and gives worse results. So mostly I just use it as an occasional additive to the wash bucket.
                          I'm not sure what to say about the harder to apply and worse results, I use this product often on black paint and it's by far my favorite product.

As far as adding it to your wash water goes, Meguiar's doesn't recommend this anywhere on the label so you're on your own as far as your technique goes. You might be better off taking advantage of Meguiar's satisfaction warranty and using the refund money to purchase some car wash?

Back to the harder to apply with worse results comment, here's my daughter applying NXT Spray Wax with ease...

1) - Applying with a foam wax applicator pad

Basically, what you do is to take a clean, foam wax applicator pad, such as Meguiar's Hi-Tech Applicator Pad

and mist some wax on to one side of the pad to moisten it with wax. Then apply the spray wax like you would any other wax covering the car with uniform, overlapping motions. You only need a thin coating.

If you start at one corner of your car, and then go around the car till you end up where you started, you can then begin removing the wax following the path in which you applied it.

Here's my daughter spraying NXT Tech Wax onto a foam applicator pad,

Here she is applying the Spray Wax with the foam applicator pad,

If she can do this on black paint, anyone can do it.

After applying a thin coating of the NXT Spray Wax, she removes it using a fresh, clean, dry Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe

I usually use two Ultimate Wipes with one in each hand.

It's quick and easy, but it takes applying and removing it a few times to become experienced and good at it. It was getting dark so I didn't get any after photo's but we have used this product so much since purchasing the Pilot that I can assure you, it always comes out looking great!

2) - Applying with a microfiber polishing cloth

Another method of applying a Meguiar's Spray wax is to apply it using a microfiber polishing cloth. Here's my daughter misting some NXT Tech Wax onto a clean, folded Ultimate Wipe. The trick to making this technique work is only using one side of your folded microfiber polishing cloth to apply the NXT Spray Wax over the entire car.

First she moistens one side of an Ultimate Wipe and then she can either spray some NXT Spray Wax onto the finish, or continue to spray some onto this same side of the Ultimate Wipe as she works her way around the Pilot.

The reason this method works is because once you have dampened one side with wax, you now have a wax-moistened surface that spreads and applies wax like the foam applicator pad. If you try to continually switch to a new, dry side, the cloth will tend to adsorb your product while your trying to spread it out and thus you will feel like you're fighting yourself while trying to spread the product out.

Here is what a thin coating applied over the entire finish looks like,

Then, after applying to the entire finish, you an start removing where you first started applying the wax and follow your path of application.

In my view a booster wax should spread and apply as easily as the best quick detailers.

Or else, phhfftt...
                          Well you are completely entitled to your view, but I would point out that a spray-on wax is not a quick detailer and as such will not apply and remove the same.

A lot of how well any product performs comes down to your technique. Here's a recent write-up I did using Meguiar's new Even Coat Applicators to apply Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax. I found this new tool to help apply a thin, even coating.

Testing out Meguiar's Spray Wax, Even Coat Applicator & Supreme Shine Microfiber

With the introduction of the new high quality tools in Meguiar's new Accessory line, the question recently came up,

"How well will the new Even Coat Applicator work to apply Meguiar's Spray Waxes?"

Since I have a couple of prototype applicator pads in my possession, as well as some samples of Meguiar's new Supreme Shine Microfiber polishing cloths, I thought I would wash the Pilot and test out the new applicators for applying a spray wax and the new microfibers for removing the dried spray wax.

First, I washed the Pilot using NXT Car Wash and a Lambs Wool Wash Mitt. To document how long it took me from start to finish, I turned on the Time Stamp feature on my Sony Mavica FD97 Digital Camera.

Even Coat Applicator
                          NXT Generation Spray Wax
                          Supreme Shine Microfiber

It was getting late and another question that recently was asked was,

"Does temperature affect application and removal?"

So I plan on paying close attention to the ease or difficulty of application and removal as well as document the temperature and humidity.

Here's a screen shot of the temperature and humidity available online as supplied by www.weather.com for Apple Valley, CA at the time I started.

Even Coat Applicator Pads - Prototypes
                          These new applicator pads use a high quality microfiber sewn over a soft foam pad inside. The size of this pad makes it easy to hold in your hand while applying a variety of liquid products.

Even Coat Applicator Pad and NXT Spray Wax

Applying NXT Spray Wax directly to one side of the Even Coat Applicator Pad

After dampening one side of the Even Coat Applicator pad with NXT Spray Wax, I began to apply a thin, even coat to the Pilot's finish.

I found the new Even Coat Microfiber Applicator Pad to apply and spread a nice, even coating of the NXT Spray Wax. It's important when applying any wax whether it's a paste wax, a liquid wax, or a spray wax to apply a thin, even coating. Excess wax on the surface merely wastes product and makes removal more difficult.

Just to note, I did apply wax to the roof also.

After I applied wax to all of the exterior paint, I stopped and took this photo for the time stamp. It took me less than 20 minutes to apply a thin even coating of NXT Spray Wax to the entire finish including chrome and plastic headlight covers and taillights.

I let the wax dry for approximately 10-12 minutes before removing it. This is how long it took before it began to haze. This is much longer than it usually takes in warmer weather. So temperature does affect drying time. I did not notice any increased difficulty in removing this wax at this temperature.

To remove the dried wax, I used Meguiar's brand new Supreme Shine Microfiber polishing cloth. These new microfiber polishing cloths are incredibly soft and plush to the touch. They are larger than Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe,

And thicker than the Ultimate Wipe. Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe premium quality microfibers are still excellent microfiber polishing cloths, but now you have another option for your personal preference.

Unique Quality Features

· Incredibly plush microfiber produces amazing mirror-like shine on all finishes.
                          · Thick, deep, dual-sided microfiber pile absorbs three times more than traditional terry towels for amazing results.
                          · Safety edging eliminates the possibility of scratching.
                          · Pre-washed for maximum absorbency.
                          · Clear coat safe

Part Number: X2010
                          Suggested Retail Price $3.99

Here's shot of the Pilot right after I finished making my last wipe to remove the wax. I used one Supreme Shine Microfiber polishing cloth for the entire finish and it took me approximately 15 minutes to remove the wax. I did notice it was a little harder to remove then it is in warmer temperatures.

It was getting pretty dark and the 2.1 Mega-pixel Sony doesn't do well in low light. I lightened the best one to give a better view plus show the time stamp.

Now I've switched over to the Cannon Digital Rebel and pulled the Pilot out to an area where what's left of the sun is still shining. It's approximately 8 minutes after 6:00pm

My opinion: the new Even Coat Applicators work great for applying a spray wax.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well I'll be happy to try again, on my green-black car. But the NXT spray wax cost so little (closeout) that I'm not going to bother with getting a refund if it doesn't work out.

And the techniques you described seem to apply equally well to soft waxes that are wax on-wax off. I doubt a fresh coating of any wax would protect less well than the Spray Wax.

Thx for the tips.

Comment

Mike, FYI: Meguiar's new 100 % terry cloth towel's the one you gave me at our last detailing day. Work's absolutely great for interior cleaning with APC...and also help up really nice in cleaning carpet. Please let me know when I can buy some more at my local stores...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');