• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 'How-To' on Interior Leather Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AutoNova
    On the topic of perforated leather I did a Land Rover today that had this type of leather. I used Meg's cleaner/conditioner and this is white so when I wiped on it **** in the holes. How should I have handled this?
    That's a very good question and I'm not sure how to answer it...

My hunch would be that, if you applied the conditioner liberally, you'd then have to follow up with some harsh 'rubbing' to remove the excess from the holes thus negating what you just did. This is a toughy...

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

A slightly moistened terry towel will help remove some of the conditioner in the perforations, the really bad ones will need a toothpick and some patience. You may also try a boars hair brush and see if that can get into the perforations.

I've learned that on perforated leather you really need to be careful with creamy products. What you'll want to do is apply the product on to microfiber or cotton towel first. Using your fingers push the product into the towel and then apply to non perforated parts of the leather first. You'll see when the whiteness starts to disappear, when it does you can move the cloth over your perforations. Even using this technique you can't guarantee no white dots in the leather.

Has anyone tried Meguiars new Aloe Leather Conditoner on perforated leather?
      Afshin

2004 Pilot - Wifes Car
      2002 CRV - Daily Driver
      1990 Porsche 928 GT - Garage Queen

Comment

Thats great info on the up-keep on leather seats. Looks like I have to buy some more stuff

Comment

Thanks for the article Rockpick!

I printed this one for my detailing scrapbook...
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
            Thanks for the article Rockpick!

I printed this one for my detailing scrapbook...
            Thanks RB and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Work has been killing me lately and I've simply missed it when I've been online. I do appreciate the addition to your scrapbook though...

RP
            -The Final Detail-
            Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

rp- which do you prefer, the gold class or medallion leather cleaner better??

thanks,
              Jon

i own a 99 accord 4dr with leather that interior is kept up

Comment

n1976jmk,

First, I'm terribly sorry that I haven't made it to the email that you sent me a few days ago. I'm currently on the road, in Irvine, at a Meguiar's training session and have had limited access to the computer.

My personal preference is Gold Class after playing with both products, individually, today. Further, I might recommend going with the Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner (#1 of the 2-step Aloe system / Part Number: G11016) and then following up with Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner (#2 of the 2-step Aloe system / Part Number: G11116).

As I mentioned in my original post, personally, I've always preferred a two step process as it gives individual attention to each aspect of nearly all automotive care; cleaning and then conditioning. The same is true with paint. First you clean it (wash), second you condition or protect it (wax) (btw, there may be a few more steps in there but, you probably get my gist).

Since you've mentioned that the leather has been kept up well, you may be very satisfied with the Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner (Part Number: G7214) as it's also an excellent product that I experimented with further today and have also utilized on my own vehicles.

So, in summary, go with the product that you need. If you require a little more cleaning because you have some ground in grime/dirt, go with the two step aloe system. If you feel that you need a considerable amount of conditioning versus the cleaning action, go with the Cleaner/Conditioner. Either choice, I personally feel, will yeild high-results that meet or exceed your expectations.

I hope that helps out a bit and again, I'm sorry for the delay in answering!

-RP-
                -The Final Detail-
                Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

Originally posted by Rockpick
                  [BI'm currently on the road, in Irvine, at a Meguiar's training session and have had limited access to the computer.

-RP- [/B]
                  Some people have all the fun..
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');