• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford and GM stock market situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford and GM stock market situation

Ford is now down to 3 bucks a share and GM is down 8 bucks a share. I think Ford and GM need to be private compaines. i am going to buy 20 shares of Ford stock this wensday and 10 for GM. I hope Ford does not go out of business and same with GM. Ford should go to a private company and same with GM if the compaies want to stay alive. I am still learning how the stock market works but if I buy the stock and does that money go to the company? I think Ford and GM owners need to unite to help keep these american legends a float.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: Ford and GM stock market situation

They are all down, right now it's below 10,000 on the DOW, hard times but we will survive.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Buy low, sell high!
      Scott

Comment

Ford just went up 29 cents and GM has not moved up or down yet.
        Alex
        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

I'm willing to bet the stocks are going to go lower before it's all said and done with. Sales from a year ago are down roughly 30 - 50% across the different lines.
          Scott

Comment

I was thinking about buying some BofA, maybe I should grab some Ford too. GM, well....hehe

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
              I was thinking about buying some BofA, maybe I should grab some Ford too. GM, well....hehe

I may get some Enron too.....
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Looking at the big three's last quarter, sales were way down. GM down 16%, Ford down 34% and Chrysler down 33%, IIRC. What they need right now is more people buying their vehicles, not more people buying their stock. The House just voted (9/26) to give them a $25 Billion bailout loan for retooling to make smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. Not sure the Senate has approved this bailout loan yet.

They have not been competitive in their markets recently. The asian nameplates have been making vehicles more people want.

Daimler is looking to unload their remaining 19.9% of Chrysler.

Chrysler is reported to be ending production of it's Viper and looking for a buyer for that line. It reportedly is working on three electric vehicles.

Ford and GM have said that they play to delay any new refresh of their vehicles to every 7.5 years. Normally they refresh them at 5.5 years. Unfortunately, they need new models that are much more fuel efficient and that takes cash. These companies are hemorrhaging cash right now and in this economy not a lot of us are looking to buy a new car. Even of they were to intro a new electric or hybrid tomorrow, no-one wants to spend money in this economy so their future looks gloomy.

I don't think things look great for the other auto manufacturers either. Today's announcement that the Feds will be buying short debt should perk things up quickly though. Still, most of us will keep our current vehicles for another year or two while we watch the economy for signs of recovery. For the auto industry that means even more sluggish sales and likely product cuts, consolidation of models and a dim near term outlook.

The idea of buying stock to help the company is ill advised IMO. The goal is to buy low and sell high. I don't think we have seen the bottom for the big three yet.
                Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

All car companies are reporting lower sales that last year. The Big Three have been hit especially hard, but other stalwarts like Toyota and Nissan are still feeling the effects of investing heavily in full size ruck production right as the market for these vehicles slowed.

We are in the midst of an economic slowdown and probably will continue for the rest of the year, however economic cycles are cyclical and will eventually improve. Several of my friends run dealerships and they all are feeling the squeeze right now.

Comment

The best chance for GM to survive (IMO) is to bring the Volt to market.....if they have the time. If events bring the price of a gallon of gas to the two dollar level then the Volt may be the final nail in their coffin. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Buick and/or Pontiac nameplates go the way of the Oldsmobile in the very near future.

Mort

Comment

Ford is supposed to be bringing the 40MPG Fiesta back next year?

Comment

GM and chrysler are goners..... their sales have been going down for quite a while and theres no sign of it going back up.... in fact its going down even faster.... their cars are just not competitive at all and the perception of their brand is low quality built gas guzzlers.... people looking for a economic car would not even bother looking at GM or chrysler's options because of this.... I cant recall the last time I saw a brand new with dealer plate GM/Chrysler economy level car driving down the road... their SUVs arent selling either except for the Saturn Vue...

suggestion would be for them to just sell off everything and scale back to just selling their niche market products which is muscle cars and jeeps as well as commercial vehicles....

Comment

Yes Ford is bringing out the Fiesta which will bring Ford back. Right now I just looked The Mustang is the big slice of fords sales followed by there trucks other wise there other cars are failing. Chevy and Ford need to show how well made there product is and I agree with the niche market.
                          Alex
                          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Well, there is a reason those 2 vehicles have been around for a long time... I am glad enough people spoke up to keep the Mustang vs. replacing it with the Probe!!!

Comment

Agreed with the above post. Ford nearly killed the Mustang with the Mustang II (mid seventies) and then seriously contemplated replacing the Mustang with the Probe. Luckily, they did not and the current Mustang is a competent, stylish pony car and comes fairly loaded even in base trim.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');