• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some Meguiar's #16, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got some Meguiar's #16, now what?

I'm going to guess the Medallion series of waxes.....
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Mejia View Post
      #16 is an excellent product, your ride will be beading like crazy this winter.
      Erik,

Check you PM's

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

One last question about the #16. I am going to apply it by hand (very thinly) as was suggested, but can I use my 6 inch random orbital buffer with a terry pad to remove the haze?
        Thanks for all of the help and your patience.
        Dianne

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
          One last question about the #16. I am going to apply it by hand (very thinly) as was suggested, but can I use my 6 inch random orbital buffer with a terry pad to remove the haze?
          Thanks for all of the help and your patience.
          Dianne
          That should work just fine. Just make sure the terry on the buffer doesn't leave marring. I've found the grades and softness of terry can really vary.

One goofy trick I've used a few times is place a microfiber towel over the orbital head. Then just use that to remove the wax. You have to be careful that the towel doesn't get away from you but it really works pretty good.
          Scott

Comment

can I use my 6 inch random orbital buffer with a terry pad to remove the haze?
            If you apply M16 very thinly then you might be able to remove it by machine. Might just depend upon how much power your polisher has. ( I've always removed by hand so I don't know if you can remove by machine from first-hand experience)

This is something you could test when you do your test spot to a small section.

Please update this thread with what you find out.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Please update this thread with what you find out.

Will do. Thanks

Thanks BlueZero (sorry don't know how to do more than one quote in a message) That microfiber trick sound interesting.

Comment

A simple "yes" or "no". Is there a good reason to apply #16 over NXT 2.0? If "yes", why?

I used #16 almost exclusively in the 70's, 80's and early 90's and moved on to #26 in the late 90's. Now NXT works for me.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                  A simple "yes" or "no". Is there a good reason to apply #16 over NXT 2.0? If "yes", why?

I used #16 almost exclusively in the 70's, 80's and early 90's and moved on to #26 in the late 90's. Now NXT works for me.

Tom
                  Yes! I think NXT 2.0 really darkens and deepens the color but #16 has it beat in durability. Just my thoughts.
                  Scott

Comment

You've got #16 ... not what?
                    Now put it on your car ...

Yes, it's old-fashioned and yes, it has a peculiar method of application but it leaves a great glossy finish that I reckon is quite hard to match. I often use #16 as a final coat on top of other waxes - what #26 does for depth, #16 does for the gloss. I like it after a simple Autoglym Super Resin Polish spruce-up and I like it after half a dozen liquid waxes I could mention.

Why? The beading is superb and the finish seems to remain after the car is covered in dust and washed off.

Someone asked about topped NXT Tech Wax with it ... why not? Try it out and see if you like it - NXT does quite a lot of things for paint and beading is not one of them in my opinion and experience. Light swirl filling and depth is what it does reasonably well and you can improve that finish with a glossy, beading wax ... #16 fits that bill.

Surely it's about time Meg's re-worked this and made it VOC compliant? I'm in the UK, so we don't have such problems with getting hold of the wax. I know Meg's are touting the NXT wax as their finest, but given how much of a following there is for #16, surely it's worth considering and re-working?

Comment

My two cents -- I think that beading is not something that you really want all that much. Consider a black vehicle sitting in a parking lot after a rain. The sun comes out and the temperature goes up to 80 or 90. You have water beaded up on an already hot hood. Water spots - ""! Not something that I want. I want a wax/sealant that sheets off water ASAP. But then I'm and "old guy" who used to love the beads that showed up on my well-waxed vehicles after a rain. I also liked the "ohs and ahs" that I got when folks saw the beads. I guess that wisdom has finally come with age.

And if you think that # 16 is hard to work with, let me tell you about the original Cadillac Blue Coral.

Is #16 cool? Sure is. So was my black 1964 Chevelle SS 327 that received a fresh coat of the stuff every month. However, the water spots that formed after a rain were not all that cool.

Tom

Comment

How does #16 compare to #26? The reason I ask is I still think #26 produces a much deeper and better shine then any of the newer products, yet I have never tried #16. Mabey I should get myself a can of #16 before it's too late!

Comment

M26 tends to darken the paint and give it a ton of depth.

M16 just has a certain shine to it that's hard to put into words.

That being said, is one better than the other? Well, not really. It's pretty much about what you think looks good. In my opinion, M16 is one of the best waxes ever made (why do you think I had more than sixteen tins at one time). If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. M16 isn't too expensive, yet.
                          Chris
                          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Better is most subjective - there is, for example, a difference between volume and loudness ... and that's the difference. #26 gives depth and #16 gives gloss.

Comment

I bought some Meguiar's #16. Not sure what to do with it. ... ...Thanks for the advice.
                              Ship it to me.

Mike
                              Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                                My two cents -- I think that beading is not something that you really want all that much. Consider a black vehicle sitting in a parking lot after a rain. The sun comes out and the temperature goes up to 80 or 90. You have water beaded up on an already hot hood. Water spots - ""! Not something that I want. I want a wax/sealant that sheets off water ASAP. But then I'm and "old guy" who used to love the beads that showed up on my well-waxed vehicles after a rain. I also liked the "ohs and ahs" that I got when folks saw the beads. I guess that wisdom has finally come with age.

And if you think that # 16 is hard to work with, let me tell you about the original Cadillac Blue Coral.

Is #16 cool? Sure is. So was my black 1964 Chevelle SS 327 that received a fresh coat of the stuff every month. However, the water spots that formed after a rain were not all that cool.

Tom
                                As another old timer who's first brand new car was a fire engine red 1964 Malibu SS, (283ci, BTW, I think the 327 came in 65) I also used Blue Coral on it and can say I've never used a harder wax to remove even if applied thinly. LOL. Fortunately water spots didn't show that much on red. I replaced it with a 66 SS396 a couple years later that was black and quicky switched to another wax. I seem to recall it was Vista.
                                Jim
                                My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');