• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some Meguiar's #16, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got some Meguiar's #16, now what?

Growing up in the Midwest, Vista was the wax. It was a extremely durable wax. Protected for months. I use to enjoy waxing a car with Vista. Good stuff.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
      As another old timer who's first brand new car was a fire engine red 1964 Malibu SS, (283ci, BTW, I think the 327 came in 65) I also used Blue Coral on it and can say I've never used a harder wax to remove even if applied thinly. LOL. Fortunately water spots didn't show that much on red. I replaced it with a 66 SS396 a couple years later that was black and quicky switched to another wax. I seem to recall it was Vista.
      The Chevelle SS 327 came out in late spring 1964. There were not a lot of them made. Sure wish I still had mine. In 1967 I bought a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 in light metallic green. I wish I still had it too. Then there was the 1970 dark green Old 442.........

Tom

Sorry for wandering of the topic, we "old guys" seem to have a problem with that.

Comment

Mike Phillips - Name another wax on the market that's been on the market for 57 years that still has a strong, almost cult following?
        Originally posted by Nappers View Post
        I'm going to guess the Medallion series of waxes.....
        Am I right on the guess?????
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Got some Meguiar's #16, and it is GREAT!!!

Well, I finished the car this weekend, and I am really impressed. You fellows had me scared out of my jeans, (LOL) telling me about the difficulty removing #16. You must have been joking with me, as I can tell you it was easy. I kept saying to myself "What are these guys talking about". First I clayed the hood, roof, and trunk. Then as an added measure, I used Color-X over the entire car. Using my buffer to apply it, and to remove it, the car came out beautifully. Then, heasitantly by hand , I put #16 very thinly on about a one square foot of the trunk. Waited until it dried, held my breath, and buffed it off by hand. It was EASY. (and gorgeous)
          Then I applied it to to the rest of the trunk, roof and hood. Once dry, it all came off very easily and no streaking showing when out in the sun. Funny thing someone mentioned that they left it on their car for a week or so and it was terrible to take off. Well, I left it on a front panel on overnight (a friend came over with nice Chablis) so I only got to buff that off the next day. It also came off easy. It was so easy, I waxed all of the windows except the windshield (heard that will cause wipers to chatter)
          The #16 is clean...no wax dust...and if you go over rubber or trim accidently, it buffes off easily. Little or no residue in corners,,,no need to take a little brush out to clean up dried wax. Can't say that for the Color-x...a lot of time was taken with a soft toothbrush to remove harded was in corners or around name plates. No need to mask anything with #16.

All I can say is that MEguiar's #16 is the BEST. The easy of use, and the results were outstanding for me. You use so little the can hardly looks like any is missing.
          Beside the 3 step method and Color-X, #16 is the only Mequiar's wax I have used, and the #16 is by far the easiest, and most eye appealing I have used. (and less work than the 3 step,) and probably I could have eliminated the color-x, and had it all done in one step. It is such a shame is is no longer being manufactured, but as someone said, one can should do 80 cars, and after the amount I used, I have to agree. The results were simply EXCELLENT!!
          I am so happy I am going to go out and buy a new pair of shoes and get my nails done. (thank god for faux nails LOL)
          Thanks to all you fellows for the help. Dianne

Comment

Re: Got some Meguiar's #16, and it is GREAT!!!

Originally posted by Blueline View Post

Then, hesitantly by hand , I put #16 very thinly on about a one square foot of the trunk. Waited until it dried, held my breath, and buffed it off by hand. It was EASY. (and gorgeous)
            Congratulations and welcome to the M16 Club.

The reason M16 was easy to wipe off is because you used it correctly.

The reason M16 has a reputation for being hard to wipe off is because most people apply to thick of a coating and then it really is difficult to wipe off.

People think like this,

"If a little is good, more is better"

That's true of my bank account and my gas tank but not when it comes to paint care products. A thin coat of M16 will accomplish the same end-results as a thick coat except that it will be easy to wipe off.

If you want to see how hard it can be to wipe off simply apply a thick coating to a small area and let it completely dry and then wipe it off. Don't do this on your good car, but on a car you care less about but do make sure the paint is clean and smooth before applying the wax.

There are 6 basic steps for working with M16

1) The surface must be smooth and clean. M16 is a pure wax and should only be applied to paint in excellent condition as it has no cleaning ability in and of itself.

2) Apply a thin coating. Liquefy the wax in the can by spinning the applicator over the surface which will allow the wax to seep into your applicator pad. Now take this liquefied wax and spread out and work in a thin coat.

3) Allow the wax to fully dry before removing.

4) Use the best, softest microfiber or 100% terry cloth available to you to gently remove the dried wax. Typically you would break open the wax in one area and then from this one area you would creep out using a circular motion to take off little bites of wax at a time.

5) After removing all the wax re-park the car in different lighting and inspect for any missed spots that will often times look like a thin scratch in the paint but it's not, it's actually a thin,sliver of un-moved wax.

6) Stand back and admire the results or go have some fun driving the car.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out for you!!!
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                Congratulations and welcome to the M16 Club. ...
                M16 Club? I didn't know there was a club! Do you guys have like a secret handshake and stuff?

I'm going to have to buy a can of M16 while they can still be found. This thread was expensive for me to follow.

Mike
                Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                  M16 Club? I didn't know there was a club! Do you guys have like a secret handshake and stuff?
                  There's a club and a registry for your cans of wax.

I'll send you an application, simply fill it out and then send it back and be sure to include the initiation fees and first years dues and we'll get you your official club card in the mail.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It would be cool to get a Visa card with M16 on the front too!

Comment

Well, I'm sure glad I ordered a tin. I may never use it, but now I can join the M16 club. Do I get the decoder ring, too?

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm going trick or treating dressed as a tin of #16!

Okay, not really.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                          Well, I'm sure glad I ordered a tin. I may never use it, but now I can join the M16 club. Do I get the decoder ring, too?

You don't need a decoder ring, just a Quarter.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

... or a ten pence piece:

... glad you enjoyed the experience ... good stuff in't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              You don't need a decoder ring, just a Quarter.

The year it came out?

Comment

Wrote a little how-to article to explain the Quarter Trick...

The Secret Slot - How to open a can of M16

The lid for Meguiar's M1611 Professional Paste wax, as well as all the lids for all Meguiar's' paste waxes in our paste wax tin cans, has a slot built into it to help you remove the lid.

Most old timers know of the Quarter Trick but just as many people use Flathead Screwdriver. Often times you'll find you have a Quarter in your pocket but you don't always have a Flathead Screwdriver in your pocket.

Below are some pictures that show the slot in the lid and how to use a Quarter to open a can of M16 by sticking the Quarter into the slot and then twisting the Quarter like you twist a set of car keys when you start a car.

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');