• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best "Value" for a Paint Thickness Meter/Gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "Value" for a Paint Thickness Meter/Gauge?

Hey guys and gals... I'm starting to look at getting into the classic hot rod restoration, and I really don't feel comfortable touching a lot of these vehicles (some with paint 30-50 years old!) without knowing what I have to work with.

I realize there are essentially 2 types of meters: the kind that work on metal only, and the kind that work on all surfaces. I can't afford the all surface unit, so let's stick to metal only.

That said, anyone know which models I should look at? I'm looking for accuracy and precision. I don't need fancy printouts or bluetooth, but if the cheaper units do it, that's fine (I have a bluetooth laptop).

Also, if you could point me in the right direction for finding "Deals" I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks!

Mark

Re: Best "Value" for a Paint Thickness Meter/Gauge?

They all are metal based, I think you mean a steel only or a steel and aluminum version.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
      They all are metal based, I think you mean a steel only or a steel and aluminum version.
      Possibly, but I have heard there are units (Like $10,000~) that will work on fiberglass and other surfaces. Clearly, that is out of my budget.

Comment

Since cars are usually made of metal, detailers and bodyshops can generally put metal-specific gauges to good use.

There are two common types of sensors for use in measuring coatings over metals. Magnetic induction sensors read the thickness of coatings over magnetic metals like steel and iron. Eddy-current sensors read the thickness of coatings over non-magnetic metals like aluminum, brass, copper, titanium, etc.

Commercial gauges are available with magnetic induction sensors, eddy-current sensors or both combined in one gauge.

There are also ultrasonic gauges that read thickness of coatings over non-metal substrates like wood, concrete, plastic, ceramic, fiberglass, etc but they’re much more expensive than metal-substrate-only reading gauges.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Possibly, but I have heard there are units (Like $10,000~) that will work on fiberglass and other surfaces. Clearly, that is out of my budget.
          I don't think a $10,000 unit would ever be under consideration by anyone in the automotive detailing business. However, the price increase between ferrous metal (steel) and non-ferrous metal, i.e aluminium, capabilities, may also cause a budget problem.

Comment

here our choice over hear, if you are with detailing world its even cheaper, just not sure how far they post.

Comment

What about the Defelsko DFT combo? Its around USD645 (ebay - look for seller: sale-4-sale) inclds shipping to within the states. It reads both ferrous and non ferrous substrates.

Defelsko also has the Positector 200 which can read carbon fibre, fibreglass,etc surfaces. Around USD1795 (sourced from Detailers Domain - Phil Yiu)

and both the Defelsko units comes with 2 years warranty.

and there's Quanix..

Tim
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by christian6984 View Post
                here our choice over hear, if you are with detailing world its even cheaper, just not sure how far they post.
                http://www.paintdetective.com/default.html
                That's about $320...which is closer to my budget- I'll look into that one.

As for the Defelsko DFT, $645 is just way too much for me. I have spent way more on supplies than I should have already, and rarely need the gauge...not enough to justify that cost.

Man I wish they weren't so pricey!

Comment

Yeah. I'm too in the midst of looking for a more economic model. The paint detective if I'm not mistaken has the same chipset as the CM8828.
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

Try giving this thread a read through...Paint Thickness Gauge, Cheapo Harbor Freight First Test Results.

$80..

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Thanks for the link Ryan. I actually have that read before, and I just don't think that the HF gauge would be trustworthy enough. Plus, it doesn't seem to work on both steel and aluminum, a must for my desires.

Comment

Mark
                        This type runs about $60 and I use it everyday.I checked it against a $700 electronic unit and it showed 2 mill less than electronic so I know to add 2 mill. Its never let me down Until my 13 year old Daughter wanted to see how far she could pull it out,There went $ 60 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                          Mark
                          This type runs about $60 and I use it everyday.I checked it against a $700 electronic unit and it showed 2 mill less than electronic so I know to add 2 mill. Its never let me down Until my 13 year old Daughter wanted to see how far she could pull it out,There went $ 60 bucks.

Interesting! What brand is that?

Comment

MAR-HYDE AND PRO Also makes the same type but no good on alum.

Comment

Just saw this on another forum. I don't know anything about the gauge or the seller. Just thought for $199.99 it might be worth checking out.

Paint Meter, Paint Gauge, Paint Gage - HighLineMeter.com
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');