• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT & interior leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT & interior leather

I know that there are better things for leather, but I was curious about using the Tech Protectant on leather
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

I have a bad feeling about that - I don't think leather is meant to take in any of that stuff, it might look shiney, but might not be good for the leather.

ideas anyone?
    2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Well,
      My first gut would be that if it is leather it will needs leather specific products. Not sure if the nxt would have an adverse affect, but the real thing you have to think about is why? If you have leather be happy leather is great, use leather conditioner on it. Though many products like that say they can be used on leather, but is it worth the risk? Not in my book, though it may not do anything bad right away, years from now?

Comment

~One mans opinion / observations~

Leather cleaning / conditioning is a three-step process, comprising-Cleaning, Conditioning and Ultra Violet Radiation protection.

Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 80% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. Its made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) the leather also requires replacement of natural oils.

NXT will shine the urethane covering and may clean the leather surface but I don’t think it was designed for this purpose; it will do nothing to provide the necessary oils for the leather underneath.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
        justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
        ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Just to chime in on this, I received some information from one of our chemists on the leather used in automotive interiors, here's what he wrote,

Modern leather used for car interior's today is a combination process that contains a clear coating over the entire surface. The leather is processed and dyed, which can become vulnerable to staining if not treated with a clear coat. The clear coat protection varies depending upon the mfg and their process.

Generally, within a couple of years the coating will begin to breakdown from the continual rubbing and stretching of the seat. This stress causes micro-scratches to the coating where products are required to condition and treat the clear coat from wearing out.

Good leather products help extend the life of the leather and maintain its natural appearance, especially at the highly stressed areas. It is extremely important not to use a caustic or alkaline detergent cleaner on leather. It will strip away the coating making the leather now assessable to staining and increased wear.

I am confident that when Meguiar's chemist formulate a product for cleaning, conditioning, and protecting leather surfaces, they take any modifications or coatings used on the leather into consideration.

Meguiar's would not recommend a product formulated for vinyl, rubber and plastic for use on leather. Instead, two super products for cleaning, conditioning and protecting leather seats are,

Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner
          Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Meguiar's would not recommend a product formulated for vinyl, rubber and plastic for use on leather.
            Here's a problem I see....for instance, I have an older car with leather seats. When I got it, GM had these very specific weasel-words associated with the leather seats...about how the SEATING SURFACES are leather but other parts of the seat are not. It turned out that only the perforated center section was leather, with the side bolsters and the rest of the seat being vinyl. Even today, at 14 years old, you can't really tell the leather from the vinyl, the color still matches, etc.

So if I can hardly tell on my own car which is leather and which is vinyl, and you can't use the same product for both...I mean, what a pain for a pro detailer seeing all different makes and years every day...is that why they make the Leather Cleaner and Conditioner in the Detailer line that can be used for both?

Is that the only combination product? Does it have a downside? I used some #40 on a steering wheel and shift knob a few weeks ago on a friend's father's car...and realized later that they were probably leather...

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');