• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?? for those who detail for $$....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? for those who detail for $$....

are there any F.A.Q.'s you encounter from customers that ask tough questions? i.e. you know----do your products contain silicone? How does your process compare to using the old rubbing compound? Why do you prefer a synthetic over carnuba? Etc.... any common Q&A's you come across from?

Re: ?? for those who detail for $$....

The protectant question comes up all the time. Most people know and trust waxes, so they aren't too keen on a synthetic product. But, when I explain to them the benefits, they go for it. If not, I have plenty of waxes to choose from.

I was told once not to apply a wax because it had a factory coating. Once, I explained to her the problems, it wasn't a problem.

Others will ask about the interior dressings. Some like it really shiny, but others like it matte. Same goes for the tires.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

In my experience, people generally do not even have the first clue what goes on with a detail on the level of what I generally deliver. I rarely do "1 steppers" and almost always do full correction work, and people at most tell me what they want (expectations) and then I just give them a price and deliver their expectations. They don't ever ask for an explanation per se.

That said, I tend to offer information, bragging about the awesomeness of the products I have (ie how M105 works, how amazing APC+ cleans, how awesome M21 2.0 is, etc) and they are usually fascinated.

The silicone question has never come up, and tbh, I doubt it ever will unless you are working on a car that needs to have paint or body work done and you are talking to a professional.

That's my personal experience anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        In my experience, people generally do not even have the first clue what goes on with a detail on the level of what I generally deliver. I rarely do "1 steppers" and almost always do full correction work, and people at most tell me what they want (expectations) and then I just give them a price and deliver their expectations. They don't ever ask for an explanation per se.

That said, I tend to offer information, bragging about the awesomeness of the products I have (ie how M105 works, how amazing APC+ cleans, how awesome M21 2.0 is, etc) and they are usually fascinated.

The silicone question has never come up, and tbh, I doubt it ever will unless you are working on a car that needs to have paint or body work done and you are talking to a professional.

That's my personal experience anyway
        I agree, until I came here, I had no idea the "correct" way to maintain a car. I think the only silicone questions I've encountered by friends, family and co-workers if there are silicones in dressings for trim. Used to be wash with dish soap, dry with old beach towel and turtle wax in the sun wiped off with another old beach towel.....

Get to know your products so you can explain them.
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          In my experience, people generally do not even have the first clue what goes on with a detail on the level of what I generally deliver.
          I would have to agree with you 100%
          I get questions like:
          "I have a lot of scratches, can you put wax on the car to get rid of them?"
          "I paid $XXX.XX at the dealership for the 5 year sealant. Detail my car, but don't put any wax on it... ok?"
          "Can you get this scratch out? It's all the way to the metal."
          "What is clay?"

Now, I have a select few, and I do mean few, that ask what type of products I use. I tend to explain to them, only to get the cross eyed look. So, generally, I do many 1-step details vs. a full paint correction detail. I tend to find many are happy with what a 1-step does, even after I try (And I do try) to upsell and explain the added benefits of a proper detail.
          Many freak out with the price of a 1-step.. you should see them when I tell them the price of a full paint correction. You'd think I turned into a freaky monster by the looks I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
            I would have to agree with you 100%
            I get questions like:

"I paid $XXX.XX at the dealership for the 5 year sealant. Detail my car, but don't put any wax on it... ok?"
            so what's the answer to this question?... "your dealer screwed you"?

Comment

I usually get questions, if I get them, about doing something that is beyond my experience or talent. For instance I just did a car last weekend and it had a couple of really deep scratches down to the primer...nothing I could do with that except make it look as best as I could. Sometimes I have to explain the whole paint correction process to get people to understand why I can or can't fix something...the other thing that I get a lot is "it's gonna take how long ???!!!...the time it takes to make the car look it's best is something most people are clueless about. Never got the silicone question btw...
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Because I'm young, most people think I'm just doing it for the money and don't have a clue. After I kind of explain to them what I can do then they start asking the questions about "O can you do this then for me." Even though I have set packages on my website, I rarely follow them, most people just come and say can you do this, this and this and then I'll tell them for how much and maybe suggest a few other things and then get to work.

Ryan
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD View Post
                  For instance I just did a car last weekend and it had a couple of really deep scratches down to the primer... nothing I could do with that except make it look as best as I could.

This is the definition of taking a car's finish to it's maximum potential. Kind of ties in with this.

You can't always fix everything wrong with the paint but you can almost always make it look better.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');