• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Secret Slot - How to open a can of M16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Secret Slot - How to open a can of M16

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
    Didn't they just bring back Solvent Based Dressing that is not VOC Compliant (in some states at least)
    Keep in mind as a manufacture besides making a product you also have to factor in if there's a viable market for the product, that is are there enough customers to support making the product.

M16 was discontinued because although it's a great product, sales numbers for this product compared to our more modern products were low.

Back sometime around 2002 or 2003 our R&D department started reformulating our entire line to comply with the EPA Regulations enacted in 2005

The criteria was simple, after reformulating the product it had to perform as good or better than the pre-2005 VOC formula, if the product didn't meet this criteria as well as the benchmark for sales volume, (Skew Rationalization), then it was discontinued.

Besides all that, the majority of people that are what you would classify as a "Do it Yourselfers", by a huge majority, choose to use liquid waxes, not paste waxes.

M16 is a great product with a very long history of satisfied customers and it's still available in other countries that have lower restrictions on releasing V.O.C.s into the environment. So if you want some, you can get some, you just have to be creative and hope the "Wax Police" don't catch you.

Make sense?

To that end, some of us have already added a few cans of Pre-Ban M16 to our collection.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just a note for anyone in the US looking for it. Chris at eshine.ca has it for $19.99CAD with the exchange rate right now that comes to $17.03.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        To that end, some of us have already added a few cans of Pre-Ban M16 to our collection.

Haha! Hoard up now! One never knows. Given the economic downtown, a tine of M16 may become more valuable than a bar of gold!
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Wow Mike, 53 cans.... I guess 16 must be some really good stuff?

Brian

Comment

You will not believe how nice this wax is. After waxing the Neon with it, I still have problems with my hands slipping off of the door handles, some slippery stuff for sure!

Great stuff.
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I found some more cans after taking that picture...

Seriously, I used this on every car I detailed for years... it doesn't create the kind of deep, wet shine you can get out of Gold Class, NXT or M26 but unless you're doing a side-by-side comparison on black paint how would anyone know?

The answer is, you wouldn't, that is you wouldn't know there was a difference without foreknowledge of how multiple products perform and by doing an actual test. Our chemists all know this as does Barry and our Director of Training, Mike Pennington because these people test everything on black paint. Black paint is the ultimate test of any product's performance because black shows everything.

But again, if you buff out a car and apply a coat of a single type of wax, as long as you did the prep work correctly and the wax is a quality product then the results are going to look great.

When detailing cars for paying customers, they often times don't know the specifics of what they want, all they know is when you're done, the car is supposed to look great and M16 accomplishes this goal. It also beads water really well, (something the average person thinks is important), and seems to last a reasonable length of time.

That and a history of being around for 57 years and never letting me down personally, well that's a pretty good reason to use it and have some on hand.

But for what it's worth, I use NXT Tech Wax on my vehicles and any customer cars I work on.

The last time I used M16 was on this 1948 Bentley, after testing a few different waxes, it just seemed to work better and look better on this very old single stage lacquer paint. Plus I did an Old School Hand Rub-out using OTC products. (For all those people that discount a product just because it's available locally).

Did this 1948 Bentley last weekend, it has an older re-paint using single-stage lacquer paint that's thin in a number of places. For this reason and because it has a lot of raised or hard body lines, (lots of older cars are like this while the body lines on many new cars look more like ice cream that has begun to melt, that is everything is smoothed over), every step was performed by hand.

Before

We snapped a couple shots of the trunk while the sun was at the right angle to capture a before and after shot of the paint condition.

Quote:
              <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
              How did you get the swirls out of that paint Mike?
              </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
              By hand using Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner followed by the Deep Crystal System and topped with M16.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Like M16 much?
                We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

...Often times you'll find you have a Quarter in your pocket but you don't always have a Flathead Screwdriver in your pocket.
                  In my pocket I have:
                  2 straight blade screwdrivers
                  1 Philip's screwdriver
                  scissors
                  toothpick
                  tweezers
                  1" knife
                  3' rescue knife
                  flashlight
                  CPR mask
                  pair of BSI gloves
                  hand sanitizer
                  2-remotes
                  and a cuff key.

Comment

great idea, im always struggling to find a screwdriver, i will have to try our equivilent the penny, M16 is still available on the Meguiars Shop in the UK

Comment

good tip!
                      mujjuman

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');