• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110 polisher questions on honda paint for 1st timer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G110 polisher questions on honda paint for 1st timer???

ok well heres the deal. im new to using the polisher, but i dont know what exactly to use to get the best results.
    Heres the deal i have a 99 electron blue civic si that has some swirls and some etching on the roof and trunk. i have been searching around online and found this
    autodetailingsolutions.com package deal #3 but not sure about using m83 and m80

the car does still shine very well when washed and waxed just wanna try and remove the swirls and some etching (i know it all wont come out) but just make it look and shine like new, i just dont wanna mess up the paint. because i keep hearing that m83 and m80 will marr the paint esp on soft honda paint. i called meguiars and they told me that it wouldnt marr it. but i keep hearing different on this forum. My friend "RaskyR1 is a detailer and he told me that it would also marr the paint. i just wanna get it looking its best with out having any probs

Heres the steps i was gonna use
    wash
    clay
    m83
    m80
    #7 (but not sure if i really need this step)
    nxt 2.0

but recently i have been hearing people on here using the polisher with Scratch X insted of m83 and m80. and after scratch X using #7 then waxing.

Let me know what you think would be the best solution with no probs

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Oct 14, 2008, 12:55 PM. Reason: Clickable link

Re: G110 polisher questions on honda paint for 1st timer???

Read and study this...

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
    Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
    (These are all similar tools)

Then, do a TEST SPOT

Taken from this page so what I wrote below talks about the product the person in the below thread was using but the principals are the same no matter which chemicals you're using.

Do what is called a "Test Spot", that is test the products you're thinking about applying to the entire car to one small area or spot. Apply the product according to the directions for using the product and then inspect your results. Technically you would perform the entire process to the test spot and thin do a final inspection, that is if you're going to use ScratchX, M07 Show Car Glaze and then M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, then you would apply and remove all of these products to the test spot and then inspect the end results because in the real world this would be your Final Results.

Make sense?

Make sure you and your skills and abilities and the products you have chosen to use can make one small area look good before going over the entire car. If you can't make one small area look good you certainly won't be able to make the entire car look good.

Test Spot. Test Spot. Test Spot.

Make sure you can make one small area look good before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's a picture of a Test Spot one of our other forum members did on his car to give you an idea of what you want/need to do.

Here's another thread on doing a Test Spot...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

As far as marring paint goes...

You don't know what's going to happen until you push away from the keyboard and go out into the garage and do a test spot.

M80 and M83 work on about 90% of all paint systems, "sometimes", not all the time, they will micro-mar the paint usually because the paint is soft.

But again, instead of conjecturing about it on a forum, go out into the garage and do some testing and see what's what.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Welcome to MOL dedonderosa!

Just an FYI I changed your link out from ADS as members must have 30 posts before they can post clic-kable links.

I also moved it into the Detailing 101 forum since your post in more about the types of polishes than the G110 itself.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dedonderosa View Post

Heres the steps i was gonna use
            wash
            clay
            m83
            m80
            #7 (but not sure if i really need this step)
            nxt 2.0
            Instead of the above, which is close, try this,

Wash
            Clay
            M80/W-8006/DA Polisher on the 5.0 Speed Setting
            NXT 2.0

The idea being to use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Your test spot will tell you if M80 is working fast enough, if not try a second application. If a second application isn't getting the job done effectively enough or fast enough then substitute M83 and see if it will work better on your paint system.

If you use M80 you can skip using M07 as M80 has plenty of polishing oils like the M07.

If you use the M83 then you might consider a second polishing step with the #7 but this is an optional step.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ALSO if i wanted to can the Deep crystal paint cleaner #1 be used with the DA

Comment

Originally posted by dedonderosa View Post
                ALSO if i wanted to can the Deep crystal paint cleaner #1 be used with the DA
                DC#1 can be used with a PC, I have used it many times with my PC and have had very good luck with it!
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

If he's going to go down from M80 to DC#1 ...wouldn't it be better to go to ScratchX (the newer one labeled for machine use) instead of DC#1?
                  I mean DC#1 and ScratchX are both on the lighter end of the scale but, ScratchX should give some advantage, right?
                  Rob A.
                  '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
                  '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX88 View Post
                    If he's going to go down from M80 to DC#1 ...wouldn't it be better to go to ScratchX (the newer one labeled for machine use) instead of DC#1?
                    At this point either should do the job with the edge maybe going to ScratchX. This is one of the reasons it's a good idea to do a Test Spot that includes going through your entire process to one step, that is from your first step product/process to your last step product/process and along the way inspect the results from each step.

You may find you don't need a step? You may find a step doing more harm than good.

Every paint system will react differently to different products, pads and application methods, (hand, DA, Orbital, Rotary, Flex, etc.), that's why each car you work on you need to dial-in a recipe for that paint.

Test to a small spot before going over the entire car.

Cheap insurance to make sure you're not wasting your time.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

FWIW, I said M83 will likely micro marr the paint and that even M80 has micro marred on some of the newer Honda paints I've worked on. Only way to know for sure is to do a test spot like Mike stated above. Being this is a '99 civic and not your 8thgen it may very well be fine. I was able to use M83 on my girls '04 accord without any marring.

I have also polished 2 8thgen civics with M80 "The Piper" and "Hondafamilyman" without any micro marring.

All paints are different and you have to find the combo which works best for your paint.
                      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post

All paints are different and you have to find the combo which works best for your paint.
                        Bingo!

Give this man a prize!

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

FWIW, I said M83 will likely micro marr the paint and that even M80 has micro marred on some of the newer Honda paints I've worked on.
                          What does one do if micromarring occurs with M80? Do you then go over the surface again with M80, but with a finishing pad?
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                            What does one do if micromarring occurs with M80? Do you then go over the surface again with M80, but with a finishing pad?
                            You can try that or a lesser polish like M09, M82, DC1...

I found M09 to be a great final polish on the S2000 black paint.
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                              What does one do if micro-marring occurs with M80? Do you then go over the surface again with M80, but with a finishing pad?
                              M80 doesn't always finish out any better by just switching to a less aggressive pad. A better solution is what Rasky wrote below or use ColorX as it contains diminishing abrasives and works very well for remove micro-marring using a finishing pad on soft paints.

You can try that or a lesser polish like M09, M82, DC1...

I found M09 to be a great final polish on the S2000 black paint.
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');